I need advice on calorie amount

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Sorry this is long but if you would like to help me read on...

I went to a chinese buffet place today and I am not sure how much I should account for what I ate. Before going there my caloric allowance was 1,392 cals. I did not eat much at all, compared to before I started counting calories. I even had planned to eat half of an egg roll and I only took one small bite and did not eat the rest. This is just a little summary of what I ate: 2 california rolls, about 15 little boiled shrimp, green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers (not even one cup), one small bite of a yeast roll (from my husband's plate :laugh: ), not even 1/4 cup of the really fine noodles (forgot what they are called), some BBQ chicken (small pc, not even 3 oz), one small rib (did not have much meat on it), about 3 green beans, 3 slices of beef pepper and one pc of chicken pepper (you know cooked in the sauce), and for dessert I had a mini scoop of chocolate ice cream and a mini scoop of cinammon ice cream, a small almond cookie, a small macaroon, 2 bites of a mini square chocolate cake and 3 small bites of a cheesecake. As you can tell I cannot resist dessert!!!:tongue:

So do you think 1,000cals is too much? I am telling you, I did not even feel stuffed when I got out of there. I am actually hungry right now and we left the restaurant about 1230pm and it is close to 5pm here in San Antonio.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    Sorry this is long but if you would like to help me read on...

I went to a chinese buffet place today and I am not sure how much I should account for what I ate. Before going there my caloric allowance was 1,392 cals. I did not eat much at all, compared to before I started counting calories. I even had planned to eat half of an egg roll and I only took one small bite and did not eat the rest. This is just a little summary of what I ate: 2 california rolls, about 15 little boiled shrimp, green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers (not even one cup), one small bite of a yeast roll (from my husband's plate :laugh: ), not even 1/4 cup of the really fine noodles (forgot what they are called), some BBQ chicken (small pc, not even 3 oz), one small rib (did not have much meat on it), about 3 green beans, 3 slices of beef pepper and one pc of chicken pepper (you know cooked in the sauce), and for dessert I had a mini scoop of chocolate ice cream and a mini scoop of cinammon ice cream, a small almond cookie, a small macaroon, 2 bites of a mini square chocolate cake and 3 small bites of a cheesecake. As you can tell I cannot resist dessert!!!:tongue:

So do you think 1,000cals is too much? I am telling you, I did not even feel stuffed when I got out of there. I am actually hungry right now and we left the restaurant about 1230pm and it is close to 5pm here in San Antonio.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
  • ashlaurenn
    Options
    My advice is when you go out for dinner to forget counting and just do what you did and dont go overboard!
    You will send yourself crazy if you count every single thing you eat, especially if your out to have a good time with your friends!
    If i know i'm going out, i just make sure i allow for it in my daily calorie intake.

And if you do eat too much or something a bit naughty, exersize a bit more the next time you get the chance!!

Dont be too hard on yourself!

Thats my advice anyway!!

Hope you had a nice dinner!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thanks, yes, good advice. And thanks for replying. I had started to think that it was a stupid post since no one had said anything.

It is not that I am too worried about what I ate and did not enjoy it. It is that since I really want to log in my meals daily it is hard to estimate when you eat a little bit of a large variety of foods. I have no problem when I go to a Chili's or any other restaurant because my plate will have some protein, starch, veggies and might have some dessert and that's it. So it is way much easier to estimate. I think I am going to put down 800 cals and leave it at that!!!!

Thanks again!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    You weren't stupid to post. I just had no clue. I don't eat those items very often. Most of the time if we go out to eat it is at a mexican restraunt. I personally would shoot high then if you are low it isn't going to hurt you.
    :happy:
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know this is not really scientific,but when i do not find what food i ate in the MFP website, i usually look for similar foods in the ones i ate and approximate the serving size.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do the same
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I have a fav Japanese place I go and I have to guess all of it. It would be really hard with a buffet because you'd have to look up every item and then you still might not know the amount for sauces or toppings. Wow. I think I'd do what the last two people suggested and find something comparable from a restaurant that does list info. I have the same challenge when daughter eats lunch at school. I look a few things up and take a sort of high average and then list it on her plan as "school lunch - 500" It's not accurate when it comes to fat and salt or anything else, but I think for the purpose of tracking, it's close enough.