• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You-must-be-new-here.jpg
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's not good or bad, it is what it is.

Realize that all calculators are simply an estimate.
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't think so! But I don't know the specifics - MFP's BMR calculator tells me mine is 1,410 cals a day, so, pretty similar to yours : )
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1690.9
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You-must-be-new-here.jpg

LOVE IT!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    BMR just lets you know how many calories your body burns to function (maintain your weight) if you were in a coma (this includes breathing and your heart beating, etc). BMR is used to calculate your maintenance calories by using a multiplier based on your activity level.

Women of the same weight have lower BMRs then men. The less you weigh the lower your BMR will be. The more muscle you have the higher your BMR will be (although MFP only bases BMR on wieght, age, and gender, and maybe height, not sure about that) So your BMR on any site will be an estimate taking into account those factors, and the assumption that you have "normal" amount of muscle.
  • lisabmcd
    lisabmcd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate, the amount of energy you need to consume to maintain physiologic functions such as heart rate and breathing. To lose weight, you would need to consume less than this amount each day or eat this amount plus exercise each day.
    Lisa , MS., RD
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    You-must-be-new-here.jpg

;) Not really, I just tend to stay in my hole.
  • jennajava
    Options
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate, the amount of energy you need to consume to maintain physiologic functions such as heart rate and breathing. To lose weight, you would need to consume less than this amount each day or eat this amount plus exercise each day.
    Lisa , MS., RD

A helpful answer! Thank you.
  • jennajava
    Options
    BMR just lets you know how many calories your body burns to function (maintain your weight) if you were in a coma (this includes breathing and your heart beating, etc). BMR is used to calculate your maintenance calories by using a multiplier based on your activity level.

Women of the same weight have lower BMRs then men. The less you weigh the lower your BMR will be. The more muscle you have the higher your BMR will be (although MFP only bases BMR on wieght, age, and gender, and maybe height, not sure about that) So your BMR on any site will be an estimate taking into account those factors, and the assumption that you have "normal" amount of muscle.

Thanks!
  • erickirb
    Options
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate, the amount of energy you need to consume to maintain physiologic functions such as heart rate and breathing. To lose weight, you would need to consume less than this amount each day ...

Wrong wrong wrong. You need to eat less than maintenance to lose weight. Everyone would lose weight eating at or slightly above their BMR as the moment you get out of bed, move, sit, eat, you are burning more than BMR.

It is actually recommended, if you don't have a lot to lose, that you don't eat below your BMR, as eating too little may cause your body to burn precious muscle
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Lisa , MS., RD

not entirely true

oh....someone got there before me....
  • jennajava
    Options
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate, the amount of energy you need to consume to maintain physiologic functions such as heart rate and breathing. To lose weight, you would need to consume less than this amount each day ...

Wrong wrong wrong. You need to eat less than maintenance to lose weight. Everyone would lose weight eating at or slightly above their BMR as the moment you get out of bed, move, sit, eat, you are burning more than BMR.

It is actually recommended, if you don't have a lot to lose, that you don't eat below your BMR, as eating too little may cause your body to burn precious muscle

I have 23 left to lose. What, in your opinion, would be best?
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

Soooo.... if MFP calculates my BMR at 1338 and I'm only trying to lose 5-10 lbs does it really make sense that my calorie goal for the day is 1200???
  • erickirb
    Options

I have 23 left to lose. What, in your opinion, would be best?

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Since you are around the 25lb mark I would suggest 1lb/week, when you get down to 20 to go, try adding in 100 cals for a few weeks then when you get to the last 10-15 lbs, change to 0.5 lbs/week. The big reason why your deficit should be smaller the less you have to lose is the less fat, the harder your body tries to hold on to it and if your deficit is too large the body will take from muscle, not just the fat. Hope this is helpful.
  • erickirb
    Options

Soooo.... if MFP calculates my BMR at 1338 and I'm only trying to lose 5-10 lbs does it really make sense that my calorie goal for the day is 1200???

No, with so little to lose your goal should be 0.5 lbs/week which should put you slightly above your BMR.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I googled another BMR calculator and found this information too.... tho it's interesting to me that my BMR calculated here is 1338 and my BMR on the other site was 1400 ....

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Total Calorie Needs Example
    If you are sedentary, multiply your BMR (1745) by 1.2 = 2094. This is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight.

Once you know the number of calories needed to maintain your weight, you can easily calculate the number of calories you need to eat in order to gain or lose weight:
  • jennajava
    Options

I just upped mine to 1400. Let's see how this goes!
  • jennajava
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

No, with so little to lose your goal should be 0.5 lbs/week which should put you slightly above your BMR.

Interesting to know.... I learn so much every day! Maybe I'll change my loss goal/week to .5 and see if that helps since I've lost some but not as much as I would have thought by now