Thoughts?

Options
I am thinking about becoming a vegetarian, what are your suggestions about doing this? Does this help weight loss? Also, if there is anyone out there who is a vegetarian and their spouse is not, how do you make it work? I need suggestions, thanks!!

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My husband became a vegetarian after we got married (:grumble: ) but we make it work.

I'll make a large pot of vegetarian soup or a vegetarian casserole for him to have during the week, but when he's done with it, he's on his own for dinners. :tongue:

One of the downsides is you have to buy more groceries when you have two different weekly menus to plan. :ohwell:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian, there are so many delicious veggie options out there; I don't even miss meat :D

http://www.vegparadise.com/recipeindex.html

There are wonderful recopies on this site. Enjoy!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It will only help with weight loss if you consume less calories than you burn.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 25 years - make sure you do your research on nutrition

its very doable I tend to cook things like pasta with a veggie sauce and add in some chicken or bacon for DH I cook a veg like cauliflower he has it steamed the next day I have the left overs made into a cauli cheese dish

cook sides that will go with both meals then just cook the main protein element separately
    my DH eats about 2 veggie meals a week
  • fitforlife31
    Options
    See, it is really hard for me because my hubby hates veggies :(. I love making spaghetti squash and putting spaghetti sauce on it like it is spaghetti, lol. I would love to keep chicken in the picture, and fish. I think my hubby can do that, but I really do want a BIG influence of veggies and fruits in the house. He just wont touch a lot of veggies. I don's know what to do!
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was a veg. for a while and it does not help with weight loss. I was having hormone issues and discovered how much crap was in basic meat. I felt 100% better after I elimnated everything except for fish. Mu husband was very supportive though, so I am not so sure how easy it would be for you.
  • gettingskinnysoon
    Options
    I am thinking about becoming a vegetarian, what are your suggestions about doing this? Does this help weight loss? Also, if there is anyone out there who is a vegetarian and their spouse is not, how do you make it work? I need suggestions, thanks!!

I'm a pescetarian. I was vegetarian for 4 and a half years before. Nobody else in my entire immediate or extended family is. It's grief at family functions as they usually don't support me in it. That being said I never push my veggie-ism onto them. I'm considering going back to vegetarian. I'm at a crossroad with that..

Anyway!
    Instead of going full-out vegetarian, why don't you try cooking a couple of meat-free dishes for tea or lunch even during the week? You could have a pasta dish one night for tea or a vegetable bake another night. Trial it out for a period of time, then review your choice and maybe take it a step further if you're getting the support you want/need and are happy with it. Just go with whatever you think will work for you & your husband!