Gluten Free..not because i want to be

Options
Hey MFP peeps,

I hope some of ya'll can help me out with this situation... I recently went to the doctors with some symptoms of upset stomach after eating and naustia during my entire day. From waking up to going to bed. At first it was just when I had consumed dairy products and I was taking a pill for that, but now its whenever I eat anything, doesnt matter dairy or non and the pill no longer works. I told my doctor this and he mentioned I might have problems with gluten..or possibly chrones which im getting tested in a few weeks.

So my question is, how do you know if it is gluten products that are giving me problems? What products can i eat that are gluten free? Do they have the same taste of food w/ gluten? What restarunts can i eat at that serve gluten free products? And are there certain key words i need to look for on packaged food?

If any MFP peeps out there are currently on a gluten free diet (doesnt matter if you want to be or not) is there any advice ya'll can give me?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Jess

Replies

• mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The only way to know, I think, is to be off it for awhile and see if you notice a change. I noticed a MIRACULOUS change in my IBS and mental clarity.

As far as foods--I stay away from substitutes, they usually taste like gravel, and the few good ones are prohibitively expensive. I try to stick to things that don't come in a package, since more often than not, packaged food contains gluten. It is a protein in wheat and barley, but it's also used as a thickener, a preservative, etc etc. You can still have carbs, they just have to be things like rice or quinoa. The one brand of bread that I can tolerate is Udi, if it's toasted.

Hope that's helpful, good luck!
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    Without having blood tests or any work done, the only way for you to check if you have a gluten intolerance is to cut it out COMPLETELY from your diet for about 3-4 weeks and then re-introduce it and see if you go back to having the same symptoms as before. Gluten is in everything from anything that contains wheat to a bunch of scientific names... most (some do) packages won't say "gluten free" and even if it says "wheat free" it does not mean it's gluten free.

Unfortunately, you'll have to do a lot of research. You'll have to ask restaurants if there is gluten, and if they aren't sure- avoid it. Most can tell you, or chain restaurants will have it posted on their allergy info sheet.

It's a big learning process. I was only diagnosed in August and I'm still accidentally eating gluten all the time.

I use this website a LOT : http://www.celiac.ca/
    it has tons of information and will definitely help you out. Good luck!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    There's so much that goes with eating gluten free that your best bet is to google and choose reliable websites. There are key words but many of them to know when looking at ingredient labels. As for restaurants- not many of them!

Much luck!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is just search the forums - there are TONS of other people in the same situation! There are also blogs galore to help you with recipes, lifestyle changes, etc.

Finally, start looking for gluten alternative flours, etc and that way you can keep eating "breads" and other things.

There are lab tests that use your blood to determine your allergy - but as for specific foods, it's just trial and error from what I've heard. Some friends of mine can eat more than others - and some can't even be in the room. It sounds like yours is more mild so it's a matter of how sick you want to be that day.

Look for "gluten free" and "wheat free" foods - you'd be surprised at some foods, so check everything. Fresh fruits, veggies, etc are generally safe. The less processed the better.

Good luck!
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Remove gluten foods from your diet completely. If it is gluten that is bothering you'll notice a difference quickly. Sometimes symptoms get worse before they get better, but with-in 3 days you should be noticing a big difference.
    Gluten is found in wheat, barley and rye and to some degree in oats (only because oats and wheat are used as a rotational crop and some of the wheat ends up in the oats).
    Fruits and vegetables and meats are naturally gluten free, so is rice, corn beans, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, nuts etc... Dairy is of course free of gluten, but I would eliminate it for a while and then slowly re-introduce it into your diet and see how it goes. There are a lot of gluten free products in the supermarkts now. Tinkyada Pasta Joy makes the best nrown rice spaghtetti, Mrs. Leepers makes really good corn elbow noodles, there are cookies, cakes, pies etc. etc. I suggest you keep things simple for now. If you discover that it is gluiten that's bothering you, you can start searching for more complicated recipes and products.

Good luck and add me if you want. I have a son with celiac disease, so it's gluten free in my house...
  • radfordgal05
    Options
    I went to the doctor yesterday and found out I may have Celiac's disease, which would require me to go on a gluten free diet. I should get the results tomorrow or Monday. I picked up Elisabeth Hasselbeck's book, "The G Free Diet." It lays out everything in easy terms from what to look at on labels, to what restaurants to eat at. I recommend picking it up.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I have a friend who is super sensitve to gluten. And so she has to read labels carefully to be sure what she buys is gluten free.

Good luck! :)
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    you can actually get tested to see if you are gluten intolerant. and there are lots of foods out there, alot of walmart brands foods are gluten free, the can veggies, some frozen veggies, pastas, pregu spagetti sauce, eggs are, yogurts are, you just have to read the labels a little more carefully but they usually always say if it is or isnt gluten free. Taste is fun sometimes you can tell the difference espically w the pastas, but alot of health food stores and even publix and most grocery stores now are putting labels so you know what is gluten and not. Oh you can also i think go on line to glutenfree.com, celiac disease.com and other sites. and restraunts are even going gluten free now, so many people are dealing with this issue. Sorry if I rambled on and on. Im here if you need more help.
    Cybill
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Some more info...
    Red Robin has a very good gluten free menu and strict procedures on preparing food when they hear the word "allergy".
    Outback Steakhouse has a gluten free menu and most other restaurants are happy to prepare something special for you.

Take a look at this website www.nourishingmeals.com. They are a family of clinical nutritionists that are gluten free. Tons of recipes and good information about celiac and gluten intolerance.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My first advice is to double check with your doctor, he may not want you to change your eating habits before you tests, especially if he might check for gluten/wheat issues. If he says it's cool then the key things you need to avoid are wheat, rye, barley and most oats (oats don't have gluten persay but the way they are processed usually results in cross-contamination and/or the protein in oats is so close to wheat that some people can't tolerate them either). I have Celiac and luckily I can have oats as long as they are marked Gluten-Free (Bob's Red Mill for example). Also malt is made from barley so that's out, when I was first diagnosed my doctor recommended avoiding maltodextrin and MSG because they can be derived from wheat. Not everyone agrees with that but I try to limit those things in my diet.

Some good restaurants are Outback, Eat-n-Park (not sure where you are), Applebees, Red Robin and Boston Market. They all have gluten-free menus that help you decide what to order. Also most places now are aware and will work with you.

There are tons of gluten-free items in the grocery stores and health food stores these days. Some are better than others unfortunately it just takes time to figure out what you like to eat and don't. I have used some GF blogs to learn how to make alot at home and now (5 years after diagnosis) my hubby likes my homemade GF stuff better than most store brand things.

I hope that helps. If you google GF blogs you'll find lots of great options. There is also celiaccenter.com which is a great resource for the basics...I'm sure there's stuff I've missed.

Good Luck! It can be tough at first but if you start to feel better it will be all worth it.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If you have a PF Changs close to you they have a gluten free menu.
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    Hi Jess sorry you're having problems. Gluten free is not always easy but the main foods you need to avoid are those made from grains containing gluten - the worst offender is wheat, but barley, oats and rye also contain it. So that would mean avoiding bread, pasta, cakes, pastry and many cereals. There are alternatives available. I'm in the UK and we have a brilliant new gluten free bread called Genius bread and a range of cakes by Mrs Chrimbles that are very good. There are also alternative pastas available. I suspected I had a problem with gluten after reading about it and I tried avoiding foods containing gluten. It made a big difference to my symptoms so I've stuck with it. You can usually make a gluten free choice in a restaurant, but you might find there's less choice for you - you might avoid pasta/pizza restaurants, unless you want to just have a salad, and MacDonalds isn't a great choice as everything is bready. It really depends how severe your symptoms are and how strict you're going to have to be - i can get away with the odd slip, and I never worry about small amounts of flour in sauces, I even had a small piece of someone's birthday cake today at work, but I've felt bloated all afternoon since! Hope you get the answers you need.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    just wanted to point out, that if you are celiac, even if you don't feel pain/symptoms, you are still damaging your intestines by eating gluten. It's best to have blood work then a biopsy to see if you have celiac disease then cut it out strictly if you do. It has been linked to a lot of other auto immune disorders etc
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You should really see a Gastroenterologist. He/she will determine what to do. If they decide it might be Celiac disease (which your symptoms mimic what I had 2 years ago) they will do a special blood test looking for anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTGA) or anti-endomysium antibodies (EMA). If they find these then he/she will most likely call for an upper GI where they will take a biopsy of your small intestine.

Don't mess around with this. The longer these things go undiagnosed the more harm they can do.
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far with your advice and words of wisdom! I'm going to try some of these very helpful tips and try the gluten-free foods ya'll discussed and see if i see any results. I go back to the doctor in two weeks, I'm going to limit myself until then and see if that is my problem. i would wait until i see him, but im so miserable and its not getting any better so i need a temp fix for now, or try to find one. It seems like anytime i eat i feel sick. So we shall see. thanx again ya'll keep the tips and ideas comming, feel free to add me as well!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Having your test soon, I would double check with my doctor to see if it's ok to get off gluten for a couple of weeks. I'm on the same path except my doctor is MIA for now, so i'm doing the elimination diet where I eliminated all allergic potential food, after a week I feel wonderful, I will reintroduce it next week, group by group, slowly and then bring that to my doctor and request tests to see if I have an intolerance or celiac (all other tests came back negative so far, i've been in this process at least a year).

If you decide to do it and need alternative recipes, you can contact me, i've created delicious (free of allergens) recipes in the last week.
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    You should really see a Gastroenterologist. He/she will determine what to do. If they decide it might be Celiac disease (which your symptoms mimic what I had 2 years ago) they will do a special blood test looking for anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTGA) or anti-endomysium antibodies (EMA). If they find these then he/she will most likely call for an upper GI where they will take a biopsy of your small intestine.

Don't mess around with this. The longer these things go undiagnosed the more harm they can do.

I'm going to a GI doctor very soon, they already sent out a refferal from my doctor, so im just waiting on them to contact me
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I'm going to a GI doctor very soon, they already sent out a refferal from my doctor, so im just waiting on them to contact me

Good. One word of warning though. If you eliminate the gluten from your diet before you have the tests you may eliminate or reduce the antibodies to the point that the Dr. will say you are fine.

Good Luck

P.S. we have a Gluten Free group on here if you'd like to join us!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There are some really good gluten-free boards out there - I'm sure some other folks here can direct you to them.

One of my friends is gluten-free - she doesn't have celiac exactly, but gluten still made her quite ill. She's told me that you have to be SO careful in restaurants and the like - because even if they have a 'gluten-free' menu, sometimes the dishes or utensils or grills or whatever are used for both kinds of food, and can 'contaminate' your gluten-free stuff, and even places where flour might be floating in the air can be a problem. For some people, even the tiniest speck can cause issues. I couldn't even fix her a gluten-free meal at my house because my pans and things wouldn't be gluten-free.

I know that she'll eat at places like PFChangs, and she especially loves Qdoba/Chipotle - just get a bowl without the tortilla and you're set.
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    thanks again everyone i'm doing more & more research, but! for all of those gluten free ppl out there that have an android phone they have apps out there for gluten free help! not sure if ya'll were aware of this i just looked it up, they have one thats a scanner to where you can barcode scan the items your eating and it'll let you know if it has gluten and the alternative to it if it does have gluten, the other lets me know restaruants around me that have gluten free menues :)