quinoa

Options
quinnybear
quinnybear Posts: 243
does anyone have any good recipes for quinoa? i cooked some for the first time last night and was amazed at how tasty it was! i ate it with just some sauteed mushrooms and it was really good, but i'm not very creative and would love some new recipes! oh, and for those of you with a raleys or bel air near you, organic quinoa is on sale for 3.99/lb!

Replies

• quinnybear
    Options
    does anyone have any good recipes for quinoa? i cooked some for the first time last night and was amazed at how tasty it was! i ate it with just some sauteed mushrooms and it was really good, but i'm not very creative and would love some new recipes! oh, and for those of you with a raleys or bel air near you, organic quinoa is on sale for 3.99/lb!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I just started cooking with this myself....LOVE IT!!! :love:
  • deamarie
    deamarie Posts: 90
    Options
    I just bought some but have not cooked with it yet. I have heard add a little chicken stock and some mixed veggies for a "fried rice" effect.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Add
    chopped, fresh parsley (almost equal parts to the amount of quinoa used)
    some diced, fresh tomatoes
    chopped red onion
    a bit of fresh lemon juice
    1 tbsp olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

for a yummy, summer-fresh, light lunch.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa. Here is a yummy recipe that I like to make:

Chicken with Quinoa Tabbouleh

Quinoa is a whole grain that's rich in carbohydrates and is as easily prepared as rice. One cup of raw quinoa is equivalent to about three cups cooked.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, grilled and thinly sliced

For the Quinoa Tabbouleh
    3 cups cooked quinoa, at room temperature
    1/2 cup cucumber, diced with skin on
    1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
    2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons red onion, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the Parsley Vinaigrette
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 1/2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Tabbouleh In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, cucumber, bell pepper, parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, red onion, and vinegar. Toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper.

Vinaigrette Whisk together the lemon juice and water. Whisk in the olive oil, and then stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Plate It Divide the quinoa into four dishes or containers and top with the chicken. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serves four.

Calories Per Serving: 410
    Carbs: 32 g
    Protein: 33 g
    Fat: 16 g

Charlie Trotter's, 816 West Armitage, Chicago; charlietrotters.com
  • Tamrahan
    Tamrahan Posts: 29
    Options
    I love it so much I usually eat it plain or add a slice of cheddar cheese.
    Sometimes when preparing it I'll use 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice to simmer it in to give it an orange flavor.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I like to saute vegetables in sesame oil with alittle chili paste. When they are cooked add in some cooked quinoa.
    I change the vegetables. Carrots & sugar snap peas. yellow & green beans with carrot. Anything you like.
    It also warms up easy for a lunch.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    I love it so much I usually eat it plain or add a slice of cheddar cheese.
    Sometimes when preparing it I'll use 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice to simmer it in to give it an orange flavor.
    the orange juice is a great idea... thanks!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating magazine had an amazing recipe for Sopa Seca a couple of months ago with quinoa in it.

I made it and added chicken and everybody loved it. Send me a message and I will get it off the fridge and post it here when I get home
  • havingitall
    Options
    oops double post
  • havingitall
    Options
    Quinoa Sopa Seca
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 green onions thinly sliced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1 tsp dried oregano leaves
    1 clove garlic minced
    pinch sea salt
    1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
    1/2 cup tomatoes chopped and seeded

In a medium saute pan with a lid warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and pepper and cook stirring until soft, about 5 minutes

Add oregano and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in quinoa, then pour in 2cups of water and salt.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 12 minutes)

Turn heat off and stir in peas and tomatoes. Cover pan again and let stand until vegetables are warmed through, about 5 minutes.

1/2 cup serving
    calories 150
    total fat 4 g
    carbs 23 g
    fiber 4g
    sugars 2g
    protein 5g
    sodium 55 mg
    cholesterol 0 mg

I served this with cooked chicken mixed in and it was awesome
  • quinnybear
    Options
    it doesnt say how much quinoa to add...
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    I think it may be 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    What is quinoa? Where can you find it?
  • brainey100
    brainey100 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've been looking for quinoa for awhile, but local grocery stores do not carry it. Any ideas on where to buy?
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm in Arizona and found it at Sprouts market. I would think that Trader Joe's would carry it and some of the bigger grocery stores may carry it as well. Good luck!
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    I love quinoa salad this time of year!

I cook and chill the quinoa and then add whatever veggies I have on hand - cucumber, tomatoes, scallions, broccoli, green pepper, etc. Sometimes I'll do a Mediterranean thing and add kalamata olives and artichoke hearts. Then you can add marinated tofu or feta cheese if you want... Maybe some walnuts or pine nuts? I just throw in whatever sounds good at the time! Finally I add some dressing - either homemade with cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano, or if I'm feeling lazy I'll toss in something prepared like Newman's light Italian. I make a big bowl and keep it in the fridge for a few days, just scooping some out when I want a snack!

Quinoa is a type of grain that is high in protein and contains all the essential amino acids (a "complete" protein). Health food stores always have it. It's definitely one of those trendy "superfood" items right now, so if your regular grocery store doesn't have yet, keep checking because I'm sure they will soon!
  • Trinhp2916
    Options
    Are there any other recipes? I bought some quinoa a few weeks back but I don't have any idea on how to cook it. Help!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for quinoa for awhile, but local grocery stores do not carry it. Any ideas on where to buy?

Double check the stores...it can be in one of two places...either with the pasta or in the organic section. If you can't find it there, try online. Ancient Harvest is a great brand because you do not have to rinse it prior to cooking it. If you don't mind having to rinse it I'd go with Bob's Red Mill. Both have websites that you can order from.
  • caroly
    caroly Posts: 8
    Options
    According to a local newspaper article: "Quinoa contains nine essential amino acids that make up a complete protein. It has more calcium than milk. and a 1/4 cup serving packs 6.5 grams of dietary fiber. It's also a very good source of manganese and a good source of vit E, magnesium,phosphorus,iron and copper.
    As versatile as rice, quinoa takes just 15 min to cook and is a GLUTEN FREE food."

Quinoa is available at natural food stores and many supermarkets. Look for it in the pasta,rice, couscous section.

Quinoa should be carefully rinsed for a few seconds in a fine mesh strainer to remove the natural but bitter, resin-like coating. Although many of the brands now say no rinsing necessary its best to rinse to ensure all powdery residue is removed

Uncooked Quinoa should be stored in airtight container to prolongue its shelf life

I have a recipe for a Quinoa fruit salad that is very refreshing for summer:

1 cup quinoa cooked in 1 cup of pear juice and 1 cup of water (once cooked - remove from heat, keep covered and allow to stand 5 min. Fluff quinoa and spoon into bowl to cool)

2 diced apples
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup plain yogurt

Once the quinoa is cooled mix in remaining ingredients and enjoy! :smile:

You can also make it ahead of time and allow it to chill in the fridge for a few hrs before eating. For variety you can also add different flavored yogurts

233297.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter