Gallbladder removal

Options
Has anyone ever had their gallbladder removed?? I have had it removed for about 4 years. I am starting to get fed up with it. I'm not trying to be gross in any way but without having a gallbladder almost everytime you eat it just goes right through you. Have any of you experienced this and HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU FIX IT???? I'm so frustrated to the point where I hate eating anything when I'm at work, going out somewhere.. etc.. =(

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed this summer. I don't really know what to tell you other than my experience. I had some trouble digesting fats for a while, but then my body adjusted and I was able to eat whatever I wanted. At the time I was not watching my weight so I was eating a lot of junk. Now that I am watching what I eat, I find that if I eat a ton of fatty foods then yes, it goes through me. So apparently my body has un-adjusted over time.

I was told that most people do adjust within 6 months or so, many people right away. Sounds like you are one of the unlucky few who don't. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm just not sure there is anything you can do about it. :ohwell:
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also had mine out, but it has been more than 4 years.. more like 15. But I do remember afterwards having the same problem. I mean it was bad and it did last at least a few years. I do still have the problem occasionally, but over time it gradually got better. I am not sure exactly how long mine lasted. It seemed it was worse for me when I would drink any type of carbonated beverage with my meals. Have you noticed any relief over the years or is it still bad all of the time? If it isn't gradually getting better, I might suggest checking with your doctor. I know I wasn't much help, but I just wanted to let you know that Idid have that same experience and still do at times. :blushing:
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i've had my gallbladder removed for about 6 years now and they always told me that having loose stool and being very easy "flowing" would be a side effect but i fear it's had the opposite effect. I've been going less frequent and not so soft. I wonder if those military doctors took the wrong body part out.. lol sorry i couldn't help more.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2002, and i had problems with it up until last year, what helped was believe it or not Fiber! i added more fiber and boom it helped me... also knowing that the fat will run thru ya.. but yep what those fats and eat the fiber and drink the water.. it will get better.
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in March. I had digestive trouble for about two weeks. Now I'm fine except for random bouts (gross, I know). Sometimes coffee has something to do with it. Stress, too. There are times when I have upset stomach for a week or so, and then it goes away. I think maybe you should see your doctor. He/she might have some suggestions. I know I read online about probiotics being helpful.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i had mine taken out almost 10 years ago - i always found myself in the bathroom within about 10 minutes of eating greasy/fatty foods. since ive been eating healthier it hasnt been too much of a problem, and i think part of it was that ive added a lot more fiber to my diet.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out last year in march and never really had too much a problem.
    Ive always been in the bathroom frequently, even before it was taken out.
    Ive started taking HALF of a calcium pill and its kinda solidified the "issue" and I dont go as much anymore.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Had mine out for at least 10 years. Don't have that problem. Keep upping your fiber until you are regulated back to "normal".
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    Has anyone ever had their gallbladder removed?? I have had it removed for about 4 years. I am starting to get fed up with it. I'm not trying to be gross in any way but without having a gallbladder almost everytime you eat it just goes right through you. Have any of you experienced this and HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU FIX IT???? I'm so frustrated to the point where I hate eating anything when I'm at work, going out somewhere.. etc.. =(

I have had mines removed for 19 years now, and I still have that problem, mainly happens when I haven't eaten anything all day and then eat fast food. It does suck.
  • exploremore2011
    Options
    Wow that's quite a few gallbladders out for one website post ;( Have you tried going vegan for a few days? Lots of brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal............no unhealthy fats at all? I'm in my thirty's still have all my parts and feel great after switching to "almost" vegan for the last 6 years. If you need tips on how to cook vegan"ish" I would gladly help you ;)
  • christine_6980
    christine_6980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's the most frustrating side effect ever! I try and eat right but I feel like no matter what I do... there it is! I hope it goes away! My digestive system seems to be so out of wack from it and I hate it! It's so embarassing! I just want to be normal! =( I am glad though to know that I am not the only person that has this issue! Thanks for the feedback!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last September and I have the reverse effect :-(
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed and I had the same problem. I took a supplement called cholical until the problem subsided, now I am fine unless I eat junk in which case everything starts going straight through me again.
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    It's been over 5 years since mine was out and I can completely sympthize with what you're saying. I haven't found any remedies for any of it, I'm just happy to not have to live with the pain any more, mine flared for over a year before it was discovered when I was 31 weeks pregnant and to far along to have the surgery then. Hang in there
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have had mine out for two years now and I have also found that I have my biggest problems after I eat really fatty foods, so I quit eating most of them. I also found that increasing both water and fiber consumption helped immensely. Oh, and slowing down on the coffee has helped as well.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out this past August. Fatty foods and red meat still seem to bother me, but not much else.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just had a major total physical. Asked my Dr about this as I had the same issue. He told me if I eat something with too much fat in it, it will take the fast track out of the system. Without a gallbladder fat is much harder to process. He said to eat high fiber and low fat, and it has helped me a lot. I can always tell when I've eaten too much fat.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    yes I had mine removed years ago and have the same problem. See why that happens is your gallbladder is a reservoir holding the bile that your liver makes. and when you eat fat (any fat good or bad) the gallbladder knows how much bile you need to break down the fat. Now since you do not have a gallbladder your liver does not know just how much bile you need so it just dumps bile. So since it just dumps the bile and you didnt need that much bile, the extra bile creates a laxative effect. So thats why you have to RUN.

I tried everything for years and NOTHING helped. I would have days were I could not even go to work and would freak if I had to take a road trip. But since I started to eat low carb (Atkins) it has helped like you would not believe. I was concerned about Atkins but my heart DR and PCP told me it was ok. A lot of people get it confused with NO CARB. I eat carbs, I just do not eat bad carbs. I get all my carbs from fruits and veggies. I also have increased my fiber and its a good idea to take a supplement. The fiber will absorb the extra water that the extra bile has created.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Go to a vegetarian diet.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Go to a vegetarian diet.

I'm actually considering this.