Has anyone heard of the VLCD (diet) ?

Options

Replies

• _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Actually I just read a study on that diet: http://www.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.full

The people in the study were on an 800 calorie per day diet for 12 weeks. The issue I see with this kind of dieting is that you might be losing a lot of lean body mass (muscle) instead of fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you'll see the number on the scale go down dramatically, but what you are leaving behind is a weak, soft body. I research this a lot because I'm relatively lean and want to tone up, but whenever I restrict calories I lose lots of muscle, which is a bummer. Muscle is what gives your body a nice shape, especially your legs and bum.

Back to the study, it suggested that weight training aggressively during this diet will prevent loss of muscle, even at 800 calories per day. Plus, weight training raises metabolism, meaning that your results are more likely to stick after the diet.

Yes. I'm weight trainig too :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    FYI: It's completely possible to lose eight pounds in five weeks without starving yourself.

I'm sure there is. Except, I'm not starving. 800 calories, eaten right, is quite a bunch.

No. 800 calories is very little. It is going to behard to hit your macros/micros with that
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it. After I read a bunch about it from reputable sources (NIH, FDA, ivy league schools, etc), I asked my doctor about it, who completely agreed with me.
    Do you happen to have any of those sources handy? Would love to read them.

Just google "VCLD" and look for the sources from oxford, nih, fda, etc ... that's how i found them. Lost of very boring reading though.

surely you kept the links.....right? :huh:
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    changed my mind and decided to hold my tounge. keep scrolling
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    FYI: It's completely possible to lose eight pounds in five weeks without starving yourself.

I'm sure there is. Except, I'm not starving. 800 calories, eaten right, is quite a bunch.

Mind opening up your diary for us to look at? I'm curious to know how 800 calories = alot
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Sounds fine as long as you have lunch and dinner after that.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it. After I read a bunch about it from reputable sources (NIH, FDA, ivy league schools, etc), I asked my doctor about it, who completely agreed with me.
    Do you happen to have any of those sources handy? Would love to read them.

Just google "VCLD" and look for the sources from oxford, nih, fda, etc ... that's how i found them. Lost of very boring reading though.

surely you kept the links.....right? :huh:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2160441
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2559044
    http://www.ysonut.fr/pdf/Ysodoc/C0503.pdf
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/heart-health/information-on-weight-management
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/heart-health/information-on-weight-management

But I'm ~sure~ you know how to google, so you can find others.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    VLCD is interesting. If you have the will power to follow it, hammer it out. I spike because I like to eat as well. It's allowed me to find the diet that has worked for me. 80+lbs in 90 days and getting buffer. People will come in and spew venom, I might from time to time, but if you are losing weight and being Dr. monitored then good luck to you and I hope this is the diet that works for you. If your Dr. is really promoting it and truly monitoring you. Seems weird to me a weight loss Dr. would promote that to someone who needs to lose so little.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    From a health stand point, I'd like to know what long term effects it has on your body.

You will lose weight, no doubt. But not really a fan of these types of diets. I could never do them personally, and just from someone with a medical background, I think about the effects this has on your kidneys and gut.

I have heard that these diets shouldn't be done long term anyways though.
  • mcintyrekn
    mcintyrekn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is even in a forum.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I tried Googling "VLCD" instead. Here's what I found as far as references from universities, government agencies or other reputable sources not selling the stuff...

Page 1

UCLA (http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32)

"A VLCD is primarily for severely or morbidly obese individuals who must lose or wish to lose large amounts of weight as rapidly as possible in a safe manner. "

Page 2

National Institutes of Health (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm)

"VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

"Use of VLCDs in patients with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical conditions due to overweight, such as high blood pressure."

"Many patients on a VLCD for 4 to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, or diarrhea. These conditions usually improve within a few weeks and rarely prevent patients from completing the program. The most common serious side effect is gallstone formation. Gallstones, which often develop in people who are obese, especially women, are even more common during rapid weight loss. Research indicates that rapid weight loss may increase cholesterol levels in the gallbladder and decrease its ability to contract and expel bile. Some medicines can prevent gallstone formation during rapid weight loss. Your health care provider can determine if these medicines are appropriate for you"

"Studies show that the long-term results of VLCDs vary widely, but weight regain is common."

"In addition, VLCDs may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run. Studies have shown that following a diet of approximately 800 to 1,000 calories produces weight loss similar to that seen with VLCDs."

"For most people who are obese, their condition is long-term and requires a lifetime of attention even after formal weight-loss treatment ends. Therefore, health care providers should encourage patients who are obese to commit to permanent changes of healthier eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food"

WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets)

"Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity."

"To be healthy, we need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's quite difficult to get good nutrition in as few as 800 calories (even a dietitian would have trouble doing this), especially if one eats the same foods day after day."

"Also, once you go off the diet, you will likely regain your weight unless you change your lifestyle and commit to healthy eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food. By sticking to a long-term commitment, you can prevent your weight from drifting back up the scale."

Page 3

Nothing

I called it good after going three pages deep.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Having spent the last year working on repairing my metabolism, I feel pretty strongly that eating at 1.2 x your BMR is a much more satisfying, and easy to maintain weight loss program than VLCD. Even with a doctor's supervision, VLCD can be very damaging.

$0.02

Edit: From what I've read it's very damaging even to the morbidly obese, but in situations where it's used there are obesity related health effects that are more dangerous than VLCD.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Dont want to comment and sound judgemental but I will say.....just because "MD" is in the title doesn't make their suggestions a safe thing to do...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    VLCD == Very Low Calorie Diet

It's not a fad diet, in fact, it's a Dr recommend diet for those who need to lose a lot of weight. You gotta be careful though, here are the guildlines
    ~ You calorie intake per day is between 500 - 800 calories.
    ~ Doctor stress that there should be "good" calories so you still get nutrition you need
    ~ To ensure you don't go into starvation mode, It's NOT a longterm diet. In fact, it should only be for 12 weeks in the 500-800 cal range. After that, you stup up to 800-1200. (I believe you go back down after those 12 weeks are up, if you didn't lose everything you need.
    ~ It doesn't restrict what "kind" of calories, since a calorie is a calorie, but obviously, if you eat a candy bar, that's 300 calories mostly from fat. You can eat a lot of healthy items to match those 300. So use common sense and choose wisely.
    ~ drink, throughout the day, 3L of water.

In about 5 weeks, I've lost about 8 pounds.

Anyone else doing this diet?

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You)
    It also should be noted that you CANNOT exercise while doing it (unless somewhere in it it states to eat your exercise calories back, but I didn't see it). I don't see that as being a good choice to losing weight as it can affect your metabolism once you go back to higher calorie intake.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm weight trainig too :)

WHOA WHOA WHOA.. hold up.. You eat 800 calories and you some how feed your muscles the protein and fat needed to repair them? You must have some sore muscles. I couldn't even sniff 800 calories and have the protein, amino acids, and etc to repair muscles efficiently. Your Dr. should know better then that even, especially your nutritionist. Mine yell at me all the time for not eating enough cals on heavy lifting days.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

Mind opening up your diary for us to look at? I'm curious to know how 800 calories = alot

Same here...not because I'm trying to go against you but hell...if I eat a healthy breakfast packed with protein and all sorts of good things...it's atleast 270-300 calories so I'm curious how 800 can cover a full day, especially with exercise included...
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    1. Since you had only 25 lbs total to lose, I don't think you qualify as morbidly obese.
    2. You definitely need a new doctor...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that everyone doesn't have the same def of "weight training" she's probably counting the taps on the keyboard as reps.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your gallbladder goals in 2012.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that everyone doesn't have the same def of "weight training" she's probably counting the taps on the keyboard as reps.
    DOH!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition