A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. No crap. What they don

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Something like a calorie is a calorie so WTH would anyone eat a Big Mac when you can have an entire bottle of wine for the same amount of calories.

i2i
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    OP, I believe many if not all of your questions can be answered here, check it out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    So since we all agree that for losing weight purposes:

30g of protein, 20g of fat, and 50g of carbs in 2 slices of pepperon pizza

is the same as

30g of protein, 20g of fat, and 50g of carbs in 4oz chicken breast, 1 cup veggies, 2 cups of rice, and some flaxseed oil

Does this mean that if I eat the pizza that I won't be healthy?

Better yet, take a look at my diary both yesterday and today. Am I not going to be healthy because I have ice cream, chocolate, poptarts, and other sugars in my diet?

I cannot wait to hear the answers.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    What others have summed up in 8 words "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" took you 180 words to 'explain' FYI.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I still don't get it :( lol

What is she ranting about?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You really want people to join your group, huh?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I still don't get it :( lol

What is she ranting about?

This site should have a rule. "One must have eaten at least 1200 calories in order to post"
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Calories don't scare me! I eat calories for breakfast!

NICE!
  • mcintyrekn
    mcintyrekn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Calories don't scare me! I eat calories for breakfast!

This made me giggle ! :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I get so frustrated when someone announces "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" like it's some newly found explanation of the world.

Yes. A calorie is a calorie. A "fat" calorie is the same as a "protein" calorie.

What they aren't mentioning though, wait, let me back up a moment.

When it all comes down to it - the only way you will lose weight is by taking in less than you burn. Every 3,500 calorie deficit will equal a pound of fat lost (in general)

So, let's look at those calories ...
    You can eat a candy bar with 300 calories OR you could eat a piece of chicken (~110) veggies (~60) and another ~170 calories of something that would equal just that one candy bar. Sure, you can talk about how the body burns said calories and metabolism and such, but this whole "a calorie is a calorie" thing just drives me nuts.

okay. rant over.

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You)
    Understand-Mr_T.jpg
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Obvious post is obvious.

LOL
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If I take a ginormous dump-a-lump, can I minus those calories? The last one sure FELT like about 800
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I'm with you here ... I know EXACTLY what your saying ...not all calories are created equal .... the chocolate bar at 300 cal. vs. a full dinner at 300 cal, simple right ... would appear some don't really get it.
    Calories are created equal. Macronutrients aren't. You can lose weight eating Twinkies and chips. It's been done. We do get it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

is the same as

30g of protein, 20g of fat, and 50g of carbs in 4oz chicken breast, 1 cup veggies, 2 cups of rice, and some flaxseed oil

Better yet, take a look at my diary both yesterday and today. Am I not going to be healthy because I have ice cream, chocolate, poptarts, and other sugars in my diet?

Dude, no anchovies? Bummer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    this post totally inspired me to have a Snickers bar.

I'm not kidding.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If your point was the quality of calories consumed helps with achieving a low P-ratio and preferential partitioning of calories towards muscle tissue preservation / growth rather than fat oxidation, with higher volume of food that can be consumed using natural, nutrient dense whole foods and helping not only with satiety and preventing over eating but also falling leptin levels, insulin resistance and cortisol levels caused by underfeeding you should have just said.

In reality though P-ratio is governed mostly by genetics which is rather depressing.

In plain English what this means is that unless you are reaching advanced levels of development you don't really need to get stressed about the quality of calories if your goal is to look good nekkid. Maintain a calorie deficit and reasonable protein consumption and you will be fine. On a health point of view however quality of calories is of more importance.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    *grabs popcorn* The board is fiesty everywhere I click today, I love it!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options

is the same as

If I ate the pizza, I know I would be hungry sooner, and would probably end up eating more calories for the day. Satiety is a very important factor for me - I could eat 1000s of calories if I let myself, so I have to plan to fill myself up so I keep to my calorie goals.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

is the same as

If I ate the pizza, I know I would be hungry sooner, and would probably end up eating more calories for the day. Satiety is a very important factor for me - I could eat 1000s of calories if I let myself, so I have to plan to fill myself up so I keep to my calorie goals.

Ok, but that is a matter of self control.

Plus you didn't answer my question.
  • Konpeito
    Options
    I get so frustrated when someone announces "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" like it's some newly found explanation of the world.

Yes. A calorie is a calorie. A "fat" calorie is the same as a "protein" calorie.

What they aren't mentioning though, wait, let me back up a moment.

When it all comes down to it - the only way you will lose weight is by taking in less than you burn. Every 3,500 calorie deficit will equal a pound of fat lost (in general)

So, let's look at those calories ...
    You can eat a candy bar with 300 calories OR you could eat a piece of chicken (~110) veggies (~60) and another ~170 calories of something that would equal just that one candy bar. Sure, you can talk about how the body burns said calories and metabolism and such, but this whole "a calorie is a calorie" thing just drives me nuts.

okay. rant over.

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You)

110 + 60 + 170 = 340 ... Your 40 calories off