Pizza is a vegetable

Options

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Add bit of mushrooms and green peppers and you don't have to eat anything else. :flowerforyou:

Mushrooms? Mushrooms aren't a vegetable, they're a fungus. :tongue:

:flowerforyou:
    Yeah.. the whole tomato isn't a vegetable. It's a fruit arguement in the comment is amusing. Fruit is a botany term. Vegetable is exclusively a culinary term so it is correctly classified as both. I believe that mushroom is the same way, both a veggie and a fungi. Sorry, Thomas. :flowerforyou:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's just about the weekend here. I chose to believe pizza is a vegetable, at least until Monday ;)
  • mrshuerta11
    Options
    I've always though the same too!!:laugh:
    This falls in line with what I had been trying to explain to my mom my entire childhood: That Pizza contains each of the major food groups.

Veggies: tomato sauce & toppings
    Grains: crust (close enough)
    Dairy: Cheese... and lots of it
    Protein/Meat: Meat Lovers Supreme please

Somehow, I always knew that one day my genious would be recognized... and finally, the congress is coming around and agreeing with my former 10 year old mind.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    But.....I always thought pizza is a vegetable.

Are you telling me now that it's not? dunno.gif
    Quit being so difficult! It IS a vegetable. All that healthy tomato sauce!
    But you can get pizza with alfredo or cream sauce (instead of tomoato)... if you have no veggies in your toppings how would this one count? :huh:
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    So technically vegetarians can now eat a meat lovers pizza right?

Logic :

Vegetables are healthy

Carrots are vegetables

Pizza is now a vegetable

Meatlovers is a type of pizza

Carrots and Meatlovers pizza are vegetables which are both healthy
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    IMHO, public school lines are mills for obese young adults.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Add bit of mushrooms and green peppers and you don't have to eat anything else. :flowerforyou:

Yeah.. the whole tomato isn't a vegetable. It's a fruit arguement in the comment is amusing. Fruit is a botany term. Vegetable is exclusively a culinary term so it is correctly classified as both. I believe that mushroom is the same way, both a veggie and a fungi. Sorry, Thomas. :flowerforyou:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable

The noun vegetable usually means an edible plant or part of a plant other than a sweet fruit or seed. This typically means the leaf, stem, or root of a plant.
    However, the word is not scientific, and its meaning is largely based on culinary and cultural tradition. Therefore, the application of the word is somewhat arbitrary and subjective. For example, some people consider mushrooms to be vegetables even though they are not plants,[1][2] while others consider them a separate food category.[3]

:tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable

The noun vegetable usually means an edible plant or part of a plant other than a sweet fruit or seed. This typically means the leaf, stem, or root of a plant.
    However, the word is not scientific, and its meaning is largely based on culinary and cultural tradition. Therefore, the application of the word is somewhat arbitrary and subjective. For example, some people consider mushrooms to be vegetables even though they are not plants,[1][2] while others consider them a separate food category.[3]

:tongue:

Oh, I thought they were to cause hallucinations?:flowerforyou:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I heard about this on NPR and it nearly made me puke. I want to know where are the lobbyists for vegetables?!

We are out here but we get drowned out by the Con-Agras, Cargills, Monsanto's of this country.................They have all the $$$ and the Power.

If people want to force the change then you have to stand up and VOTE with your $$$$$

$$$$$ speaks louder than anything else in this country. Stand up to the likes of the government, the USDA, FDA, General Mills, Kraft, Kelloggs, etc and tell them NO.

Demand the change.

As long as I see grocery carts filled with Coca-Cola, Boxed Cereals, Hamburger Helper, Heaping piles of frozen and other packaged meals you will continue to see votes like this come out of Congress.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i have a very convincing arguement for chocolate is a salad....
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    They are turning the next generation into beanbag chairs with eyes. This ruling makes me embarrassed to be an American.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They got it totally wrong!

Pizza is a food group. FDA just needs to add it to the pyramid now!

LOL :laugh:
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yeah. They didn't say it's a vegetable, but that it counts as a serving of vegetables. I could see that as a possibility if I were making the pizza, covered in spinach, peppers, mushrooms... but definitely NOT if modern school pizzas look anything like the square flat cheese-covered highly-processed thing I remember.

Disappointing. Michelle Obama, where are you??
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Yeah. They didn't say it's a vegetable, but that it counts as a serving of vegetables. I could see that as a possibility if I were making the pizza, covered in spinach, peppers, mushrooms... but definitely NOT if modern school pizzas look anything like the square flat cheese-covered highly-processed thing I remember.

Disappointing. Michelle Obama, where are you??

It's considered a serving of vegetables because of "the tomato paste".
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm... Pizza....
    If pizza is a veggie then I guess it's possibly a meat, dairy, and/or grain, too. It's all good.
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thats just as ridiculous as when chefboyardee was promoting their canned garbage as having a full serving of vegetables in every can.
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    yeah, darn skippy it's a vegetable. A vegetable with enough sodium, starch, and fat to kneel anyone over if eaten enough. This is why when my daughter goes to school, I'm packing her lunches. She's 7 months and we've already got her started with eating the correct foods.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    They should start serving cauliflower pizza crust...then it'll all be fine :-D
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    Just throw the crust, the cheese and the meats away and there you have it, your veggies or whatever is left of it. Looks yummie too.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just throw the crust, the cheese and the meats away and there you have it, your veggies or whatever is left of it. Looks yummie too.

:noway: That's no fun!