Ballerina Problems

Options
piari
piari Posts: 50 Member
Hello, all!

I don't know how many people are on this site for the same reason I am. So far, I haven't found anyone. In any case, I need some help.

First things first, I'm not trying to lose weight to look pretty, or to satisfy a significant other, or to become healthy. I already feel comfortable at my weight. The thing is, though, I dance ballet, and I have been assigned to dance with a partner in an upcoming show who can't lift me. The problem is with him, not me. My weight is fine, but he can't lift my 110 pounds. For a male dancer, that's pretty sad. In any case, he is trying to bulk before the show, but it would be really helpful to him if I dropped down to around 105 pounds temporarily.

The thing is, I want to this without hurting myself. I've started logging my food intake here, as this seems to be a positive community dedicated to healthy and intelligent weight loss, unlike many other communities out there. Still, I've eaten normally and logged my food for several days only to have MFP tell me that I'm eating too few calories already! I've never been a big eater, but I'm a little shocked that I've been unwittingly eating under 1200 calories all my life without it affecting my health in any noticeable way.

As far as exercise goes, I do about five hours of ballet a week, but that number is about to increase as my group begins show rehearsals. Apart from that, I walk my family's dogs most days, and I do a simple cardio routine on days I don't have ballet.

So, how do I lose weight without cutting too close to starvation, considering how close I am apparently already?

I'd really appreciate any help or words of wisdom you can offer me. :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Ah, perhaps I've posted this in the wrong category. Sorry about that.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    5 pounds is really not going to make a big difference - can't your partner work on strength exercise to lift you? 110 lbs is already pretty light, it could be dangerous to lose much more (What height are you?)
  • lucylue21
    Options
    you have to eat healthy. i am a former ballerina. you cant afford to eat junk becaues you dont get much from it. You should eat more veggietables and fruits (oranges are great for this). you can get everything you need from the food pyramid in udner 600 calories (not that you should ever go this low im just stating). to get in grain, get 35 calorie bread. it is good toasted, not expensive, and healthy.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hmmm Sounds like a sticky widget...To me, it seems that if you are eating the lowest possible calories and in good shape that it would be silly to try and lose more so that your partner can save face. In the grand scheme of things, the difference between lifting a 110 pound body and a 105 pound body does not strike me as severely different. Certainly not enough of a difference to motivate a possibly unhealthy weight loss venture!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing quite enough! Your partner needs to start doing shoulder presses and build up some strength! Not much help, I know! I would bet that your body is happy and you don't really have 5# to lose, but changing up your routine to shock your system can help. Back off on the white carbs and eat more veggies instead. Replace any bad fats with good fats, but you are probably already doing those things.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    1) It's no joke to control lift a human. Even at 110lbs. I was just comparing that to the power cleans to an overhead press I did yest. 95lbs was really easy. 115lbs still not too bad. 135lbs, getting tough. And that's with something to grab onto solidly.

2) You should have your bodyfat tested to see if you really have that 5lbs to lose. You probably do but it will indicate how diffciult it will be. If that's you in your profile pics, you're certainly not fat or chubby in any way, shape or form.

If he does some specific strength training and if you try to lose that 5lbs, It would probably make a big diff.
  • cindyrholmes
    cindyrholmes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You weight is likely to be all muscle given your exercise routine and the fact that you are a ballerina. So losing more weight can cause you a great deal of problems including muscle wasting which could compromise your dancing in other ways besides your partner not being able to lift you. Your dance partner should be able to lift 110 pounds and if he cant I doubt he can lift 105. This is really his problem that is bleeding on to you. I am not sure how tall you are but I would discourage you from losing weight and sacrificing your muscle strength that you need to perform. Partners come and go but your body is your vessel and holds in it your ability to perform. I fear that any attempt to lose weight can compromise your health. My suggestion is your partner tone up and you talk with the director about an alternate or re-choreographic the lifts to meet your partners abilities, dance beautifully, and be confident that this is not your problem but his!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Okay, knocking out carbs for a few days will take care of some water weight, but how much time do you have? Not sure that a 5 pound loss will enable your partner to safely lift you if he can't do it at 110. :ohwell:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    To agree with pretty much what everyone else has said, it is unlikely that you have a much fat to lose and the fat that you DO have left is probably going to be REALLY difficult to lose in a healthy way (i.e. without also losing a lot of muscle and putting your health at risk). You have some essential fat stores for a reason--your body doesn't want to give them up no matter what.

You can probably drop some water weight, but then you also run the risk of dehydrating yourself--not a good idea going into a show (or any time).

Sounds like your dance partner needs to hit the shoulder presses, clean & press, etc. Using a heavy sandbag might be better for simulating holding a person, as opposed to a barbell.
  • piari
    piari Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I've printed out the exercises you all have suggested, and I'll take them to him and see if he'll add them to his routine. We have until December the 16th to get the lifts right. He can pick me up, but it takes him a lot of effort, and people who watch us practice can tell he's straining to hold me up.

The person who said 5 pounds make a difference is right. It seems silly, but every little bit helps. Last year, the girl the danced with was 105, and he found it a bit easier. (She's since gained 50 pounds, which is why I'm stuck with him this year.) Still, I'll have to get my bodyfat tested, as I don't know if I can lose five pounds.

Thanks again!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Since lifting you off the ground is a compound movement, I recommend the power clean to an overhead press. But he's going to have to be able to do more than your weight confortably in order to lift you up during a show to make it look good. Squats and deadlifts. Core stuff to strength his trunk.