Bad Calorie Day

Options
I am trying very hard not to beat myself up over going about 500 calories over my limit today. I started this journey a month ago and this is the first time I have really over done it. A new deli opened in town and my BFF and I just HAD to go check it out. Well, one chocolate egg cream, salami sandwich, coleslaw, and cookie later I am logging my calories and cringing. Yikes! I just hope I havn'e sabotaged myself for good - although I seriously don't think I have. I am just down.

Replies

• CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It' all about the marathon and not the sprint. As long as you don't repeat this over and over and over, you'll be fine. Just enjoy the memory!
  • Nala335
    Nala335 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your accomplishments so far....and just think at about 30 days from now, it will all be a distant yummy memory as you're down another 6-8 pounds. Keep on track and thank goodness you're supporting a local business! And just drink a bunch of water too...that helps me a lot on binge days.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You're correct. No sabotage has happened today. Continue the rest of your day as scheduled. Have a more 'on target' day tomorrow.

Please do not starve yourself tonight or in the days to come to 'make up' for this. Please do not exercise in abundance to burn off far more calories than you usually do to 'make up' for this.

Just go ahead as you normally would, and take this as note to eat a much smaller portion next time you go to that deli. :)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    For moments like that, I like to calculate my daily MAINTENANCE calories and figure out how many calories over maintenance I ate instead of how many over my MFP weight-loss allowance. You'll find out that the damage really isn't THAT bad and you aren't going to gain weight for a little slip up.

500 over your allowance isn't bad at all. You have to eat 3500 over MAINTENANCE to gain a pound. Start tomorrow like the slip up never happened and put it behind you.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You didn't sabotaged yourself for good....you just had one set back and tomorrow you will get right back on plan! You're human. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's over and done. I always felt guilt weighed more than the actual food you ate!
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    It happens. I did the same thing for the first time last weekend, except I went nuts the whole 3 day weekend :(. I didn't log anything all weekend, so I really don't know how bad it actually was, but I ate a burger, a footlong sub, I snacked and I had pizza. I felt terrible, but my friends on MFP reassured me that you have to let go once in a while or you wont be able to stick to it at all. If 3 days didn't make me gain weight, your one day won't! As long as you get back into the grind you can make up for it in no time!
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    good for you for logging the calories....many people would skip logging today so that they didn't have to feel guilty or wouldn't care what was in the "splurge"
    keep up the good work.
  • Raynamg36
    Raynamg36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. We all have bad days, don't beat yourself up about it. Enjoy the moment and move on from there. :wink:
  • Karen_145
    Options
    One bad day isn't going to kill you. Just get back on track tomorrow and you'll do fine. :)
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    For moments like that, I like to calculate my daily MAINTENANCE calories and figure out how many calories over maintenance I ate instead of how many over my MFP weight-loss allowance. You'll find out that the damage really isn't THAT bad and you aren't going to gain weight for a little slip up.

500 over your allowance isn't bad at all. You have to eat 3500 over MAINTENANCE to gain a pound. Start tomorrow like the slip up never happened and put it behind you.

I do the same thing! It makes me feel a lot better when my bf plans spontaneous dinner dates, and I don't have time to work off the restaurant food in the same day.
  • oodlesnoodles
    oodlesnoodles Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What wonderful support. This is a great forum - I don't feel quite so bad anymore!! (It WAS delicious!!) Tomorrow back on track!! THANK YOU!!

11933863.png
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If it didn't put you above your maintenance calories, don't sweat it. If it did, and you really care about going over for one day, do a little exercise tonight to put it back in balance. Easy shmeasy.

I personally don't sweat going over maintenance every so often, and in the big picture it hasn't mattered at all.
  • oodlesnoodles
    Options
    good for you for logging the calories....many people would skip logging today so that they didn't have to feel guilty or wouldn't care what was in the "splurge"
    keep up the good work.

Thanks! I am very adamant about logging every day!! Whether I fail or not - it keeps me honest.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    think of it this way: would eating one GOOD meal in a sea of bad ones make you healthy?

One day over won't hurt.
    Life is for living after all. People talk about a lifestyle change and unless you want to go forever without sometimes having a tasty treat, then it's good to start learning now, how to have them sensibly, so you don't be all like "yay goal weight! *munch munch munch*"
  • oodlesnoodles
    Options
    think of it this way: would eating one GOOD meal in a sea of bad ones make you healthy?

One day over won't hurt.
    Life is for living after all. People talk about a lifestyle change and unless you want to go forever without sometimes having a tasty treat, then it's good to start learning now, how to have them sensibly, so you don't be all like "yay goal weight! *munch munch munch*"

Great point - I hadn't really thought of it that way!

11933863.png
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's another day, we all have bad days from time to time. Don't be too hard on yourself....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter