Not losing!

Options
After 4 weeks my weight hasn't moved more then 500g which is ridiculous, i eat 1200 cal max a day and workout 7 days a week 20mins minimum! I don't understand why i can't lose weight, it's driving me nuts! I need to loose 18 kgs which is around 30lbs (ish)

Replies

• Ruby11222
    Options
    Try 1400, add more good fats, avocado's, almonds, cashews.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would say increase your calorie intake and eat more protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you can provide weight, height, I can do some calcuations. Also, when you say you workout 7 days a week, what kind of workouts we talking?
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten a physical recently? Is your thyroid functioning at satisfactory levels? If those things check out, and your calorie counts are accurate and adequate, then you may have to turn up the exercise intensity with intervals (for example) and/or check your food intake for content of proteins and carbs and fats and sodium.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Have you gotten a physical recently? Is your thyroid functioning at satisfactory levels? If those things check out, and your calorie counts are accurate and adequate, then you may have to turn up the exercise intensity with intervals (for example) and/or check your food intake for content of proteins and carbs and fats and sodium.

IMO, I would doubt it's the thyroid, She is only eating 1200 calories and burning 400 on average but as high as 1100 calories. The greater chance is more food required.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    Hitting a plateau in weight loss is common according to what I've read...and sometimes for weeks (like you). Don't despair as the weight will come off eventually. Easy to say but not so easy to do, right? Evidently, the body lowers its metabolism after a significant weight loss and it takes time for it to decide on a new equilibrium point. Once it does, the weight will once again move lower.
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    83kgs 169cm
    workouts minimum is 30ds, i usually also do 30mins on bike/treadmill and weights, and yoga, bodypump each once a week
  • utgrrl82
    utgrrl82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are eating only 1200 Max and working out on top of it then you may be putting yourself into starvation mode. 1200 is what we need to live on in the very least. And this is if we sit on our bum all day long. If you work out or have more active in the day then you need more calories. That is what I would suggest.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you may need to up your calories, I've hit a bit of a plateau myself this week, but I'm not logging my food so that I can analyse whats happening . I may have to start logging
    It does seem strange though eat more to loose weight, and a concept I could not quite get my head around to start with but its been proved :happy:
    Your doing a lot of exercise compared to your calorie intake and all week you've not reached 1,200cal Wednesday you burned a lot of calories doing Bikram yoga (1348) and only consumed (1148)
    Up your goals to 1400- 1500 cal for a few weeks :drinker:
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout? And why everyday instead of 30-45 min 3-5 times a week? Workouts need to be tough and challenging.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise cals! they are the yummiest you know!
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    Could it not be a case that you're putting on muscle and losing fat? Muscle weighs more than fat, so that could be an explanation. Have you measured yourself around you thighs and waist to see if you're shed any inches? Also, you say that you're eating your 1200 a day, but are you eating more if you exercise so that you always hit your 1200 goal on here i.e. if you've done 400kcal worth of exercise, are you upping your intake to 1600 to compensate?

I'm 168cm and weigh around 78kg, so we're very similar. I've only got the one friend on here at the mo, so feel free to add me if you fancy comparing notes.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    check body composition . I find I don't lose unless I have a major cut in caloires some days I net out to almost zero by the time I account for exercise, but netting out to less than 1000 most days thats for sure. we're all different but for me eating my exercise calories just doesn't work.
    but i did put 0.8 kgs of muscle on in hte last month despite the scales not moving so do check your body composition. And I've been doing 30DS same as you so maybe thats whats happening to you as well, it does get results isn't it brilliant!
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im having the same problem!

1200 cals doing the 30DS each day, my weekends usually go to pot but im good during the week! And the scales havent moved!!!!

I lost 2 pound in the first few days of the shread, then put it back on (which i havent recorded ;-/) and my weight hasnt moved since! Im soo frustrated!!!!!

i wanted to lose 5 pounds by my birthday 2nd Dec- but it doesnt look like im going to get anywhere near that!

I need HELLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!

xx
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Could it not be a case that you're putting on muscle and losing fat? Muscle weighs more than fat, so that could be an explanation. Have you measured yourself around you thighs and waist to see if you're shed any inches? Also, you say that you're eating your 1200 a day, but are you eating more if you exercise so that you always hit your 1200 goal on here i.e. if you've done 400kcal worth of exercise, are you upping your intake to 1600 to compensate?

I'm 168cm and weigh around 78kg, so we're very similar. I've only got the one friend on here at the mo, so feel free to add me if you fancy comparing notes.

Why do people seem to think that muscle weighs more? It doesn't weigh anymore or any less. Just as a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. It's just that the feathers take up more space. Sorry but that really is one of my pet irks.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I've been the same way. I've been stuck at the same way for a few months now. I look a tad bit leaner, but haven't actually lost :(
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Cut your workouts to 5 days a week and have one day a week you eat 2400 calories. You are fighting against your body and it is winning.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well your estimated BMR is around 1580 and you are working out 6 days a week so that would making you moderately active which means your body, on average, is burning 2170 calories a day. If you are only eating 1200, you have a huge deficit. So there are two major methods you can take on this. You can either eat a sedentary lifestyle and eat back your exercise calories or you can figure your lifestyle and exercise into the formula.

The first method, you would eat 1400 calories and eat back your exercise calories or you can eat 1700 calories each day and not eat back your exercise calories. But either way, you are severely under eating. By not eating enough, the only weight you will lose is muscle which will hurt you long term.

My real suggestion, eat 1700 calories a day (even when you don't work out) change your macro's to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. After a month, evaluate where you stand. You may gain weigh at first, but it's normal as your body isn't used to the calories and you are forcing your body to metabolize. After a week, it will turn around and start shedding the weight.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    too low cals
    too much working out

find time to rest your much needed body

also throw in some days were you take in more cals.
    Maybe 1500 cals one day and then 1200 cals and fool around with that, maybe do 100 carbs one day and then 50 carbs

Your body gets use to the same routine. You are 100% over working it though, address that for sure
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have a question for the fellow who suggested eating 2400 calories one day a week. I'm new at this tracking calories and all but I'm curious as to what this larger amount one day a week is all about. Thanks.