MFP Runners Club 4/21

Options
Hey guys... thought I'd start the thread today.

I'm going for day 1 week 4 of the couch to 5k today! I'm also going to buy new running shoes! I'm really excited for that because my current sneakers are super beat up, I hope the new shoes help! Any tips on which ones to get?

Replies

• sudzie88
    sudzie88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I'm going for day 1 week 4 of the couch to 5k today! I'm also going to buy new running shoes! I'm really excited for that because my current sneakers are super beat up, I hope the new shoes help! Any tips on which ones to get?
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    Today marks day 1 of my half marathon training!! Just a short 2 miles today...seems hardly worth it! But I have to do it without any music, my ipod was playing in my purse all morning and is dead now :grumble:

As for shoes, it depends what kind of shape your foot is (arches, etc) but I hear good things about Asics if you have high arches.
  • star139
    Options
    scratch that....3 miles :blushing:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Just 2 miles today.
    Shoes, you need to go to a sports or running store and have them put you on the treadmill to check your gait. They will put you in several pairs of shoes until you find the best fit for your feet, pronation, stride,etc. There shouldn't be any charge for this.
    I did it and bought Mizunos. THE. BEST.SHOES.EVER! .... for me and my severe overpronation. Everyone is different so a personalized fit is best!
    Happy shoe shopping!! :smile:

Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning Runners:flowerforyou:

4 miles for me today.

Shouting out to Kara Goucher this morning.:drinker: For our non-running friends, she is the American that was 9 seconds away from winning the women's Boston Marathon yesterday. She will win next time! Go Kara Go!
  • kechiemc
    Options

Hi Sudzie,

Good for you! Definitely try to get fitted at a running store - not ****'s or any other big chain. Happy Running!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Today marks day 1 of my half marathon training!! Just a short 2 miles today...seems hardly worth it! But I have to do it without any music, my ipod was playing in my purse all morning and is dead now :grumble:

As for shoes, it depends what kind of shape your foot is (arches, etc) but I hear good things about Asics if you have high arches.

Congratulations on signing up for a half marathon. I ran one in November. It is now my favorite race distance. Are you training for 16 weeks?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    No run for me today :sad: Actually having to switch it up a little so doing core and spin today
    hope everyone has a good run today :drinker:
  • ffriend
    ffriend Posts: 1
    Options
    Good Job to everyone!! I ran my first half marathon on April 5th and trained for 16 weeks! It will test your limits but what a wonderful feeling when you finish:drinker: Good Luck to everyone! I am onto my next challenge of riding the Elephant Rock Ride of 64 miles on bike in Colorado!!!
  • sudzie88
    sudzie88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    apparently i already have shin splints.. after running for only two weeks :cry:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I ran 8.25 miles today... and did a bit of strength training. My girlfriend who ran Boston did it in 3:05!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't that incredible??? I'm so impressed. Yay for her!
  • star139
    Options

Congratulations on signing up for a half marathon. I ran one in November. It is now my favorite race distance. Are you training for 16 weeks?

I am doing 14 weeks of training. I think I'm not supposed to start until the first week of may, but I'm going to do the first week twice since I am just getting back into running after being sick.

I'm so excited!! :bigsmile:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    HI everyone.

I did a little over 8 miles today outside. Running felt great it was the breathing part that stank. :grumble: I feel a crummy chest cold coming on. My lungs are aching. Ick.