Chia Seeds: My little secret.

Options
I just thought I'd share a little dietary aid I've been using that has really been helping me out.

Chia Seeds are know as a super food. They are seeds so they are low in saturated fat and contain no cholesterol. 1 serving of Chia seed is 1tbs which would contain about 60-70 calories. They are high in fiber and antioxidants, they are a good source of calcium, a good source of protein and an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acid.

Now on the dieting side of things, Chia seeds can absorb up to 12 times their weight in water. When chia seeds make contact with water they begin to form a gel-like bubble around them, which takes up room in your stomach making you feel full longer. I've also read that they can slow down your body's calorie absorption rate by nearly 35%. Now don't quote me on that, I can't find a super reliable source for that.

I suggest that you give it a try. They don't really have a taste, but they smell like watermelon seeds.
You can take them by either putting a spoon full in a glass of water and drinking about 20 minutes later once all the seeds swell up. Or the way I prefer, the harder way, putting a spoon full directly in your mouth and washing it down with water.
However you can also just mix them with nearly anything else you eat.

At about $7-$10 per pound, I don't see why it's not worth a shot.
Just saying, just sharing
And yes, they are the same seeds used in chia plants lol, and no you will not grow plants in your stomach :)

If you'd like to learn more here are some links to check out:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/444471-top-ten-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CharlotteBradley/Chai-Seeds.htm

Good luck with weight loss.

Replies

• Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing that!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have a TBSP everyday in my smoothie for breakfast. Have been doing this for the last 10 months. Also heaping tablespoon of ground flax seeds.
  • seaponie
    seaponie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ch-ch-ch-chia! will a pottery dog grow in my tummy?
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds worth a try! Thanks!!!:wink:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've seen them on people's food diaries but I didn't know all the good they do. I will try it!
  • Aroz25
    Aroz25 Posts: 40
    Options
    I discovered the same thing! I haven't been able to find chia seeds on their own yet but my favourite snacks are sunflower and chia seed crackers :)
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thank will have to give it a try. Where do you get them?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I got them at a health food store. :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Is this the same as basil seeds?
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I discovered the same thing! I haven't been able to find chia seeds on their own yet but my favourite snacks are sunflower and chia seed crackers :)

You can get them at any health food store or at nutsonline (one of my favorite sites):

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html?gclid=CL_s7OuFv6wCFUdn5Qod6GersQ
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    BUMP:-) Interesting:-)
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    GNC carries packages of Chia seeds. I bought some to add to my smoothies. Haven't used them yet, but I will at lunch tomorrow! :)
  • tangledinplaidd
    tangledinplaidd Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I got them at a health food store. :)

I like to get mine from organic stores like Whole Foods
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Excellent. It's good to see people with good common sense. I would also suggest psyllium husk. It's kind of the same thing. I believe chia has more nutrient value. I would also suggest a website called naturalnews.com with mike adams.
  • kimeister
    Options
    I love 'em. I put them in my morning smoothie (along with flax, chlorella, spirulina, red maca, flax, matcha, etc.). They're fab. I get mine from Nutsonline, but I've seen them (fairly priced, even) at Whole Foods. My grocery store even carries them (next to the flax).
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I love chia, it's so fun to play with!
    Mix some with cream or coconut milk and a little sweetener and you've got tapioca ;)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Mix some with cream or coconut milk and a little sweetener and you've got tapioca ;)
    omg now i am totally sold!
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    I have a TBSP everyday in my smoothie for breakfast. Have been doing this for the last 10 months. Also heaping tablespoon of ground flax seeds.

Can I ask why do you add the ground flax seed? :smile:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Ummmm I might have to try this... I'm also a strange one that loves tapioca!