The dreaded belly question..

Options
I am curious, and if anyone can answer this for me I am interested in how this is (it's probably a really dumb question but here goes....). Say if a person is 100 pounds overweight, and they loose that weight in a year or so (my goal), would there be a lot of flappy left-over tummy skin or does the extra skin shrink also? I am in my late 40's, and I wonder if I will have this big flap of skin left-over when I get the weight off. Even if I do have the flap of skin, I still rather be 100 pounds slimmer, but I am just curious if that skin also could shrink or not? I probably shouldn't even ask such a question....(sorry) but after reading about the thread on exercises for the upper arms it got me to thinking about the tummy also.

Replies

• RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It does shrink for most, but sometimes you gotta do some toning exercises along the way.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds and have a tiny bit of loose skin, but it seems to be disappearing a little at a time. I am 47.

I think it depends on three things(I think)...
    1. Your age; skin elasticity decreases with age.
    2. How much overweight you are; The amount of extra skin.
    3. How long you have been that heavy: the longer you have had it he more there will be that wont be so elastic.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors:

1) Amount lost - The more you lose, the more likely you will get loose skin.
    2) Time it took to lose - The faster you lose, the more likely you will get loose skin.
    3) Genetics - Sod all you can do about that.
    4) Age - The older you are, the more likely you will get loose skin.
    5) Exercise - Exercise well and it can help reduce it.
    6) Staying hydrated will help too.

Also, it can take up to 2 years for your skin to "shrink" once you make your goal weight.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience so i don't want to try to answer the question but i just wanted to say, don't feel silly for asking! it's a valid question. it's great to know that you have such awesome goals and fully expect yourself to acheive them! from what i've read on here there are toning exercises and some workout clothes that help (?). again, not sure so i won't go any further than that. Good luck!!! :smile:
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It all "kinda" shrinks. Yes I still have a sagging belly, but not nearly as bad as it was when I was overweight. I have heard that even though as we age our skin loses its elasticity but never fear, there will be some rebounding! Kind of like after child birth, there is a lot there, but it does seem to be getting better. Also-do your exercises, build up the under-lying muscles. You may never get a "six pack" but it will help.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different so peoples skin retracts as they looks and workout and some don't. Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to here but I hope it helps. I'm in the same boat (trying to lose 100+lbs)and I hope my skin retracts but only time will tell.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    To safely loose weight you should shoot for .5lb-1lb a week.
    Thats 52lbs a year.
    Newbie losses will have you drop the most the fastest over the first month.
    Thats water weight.

Find out what your BMR is and maintenance calories are then cut 20% from maintenance.
    Its the safest and best way to cut and it gives your skin time to get used to the new you!
  • ShortayBaybay
    Options
    This is actually a really good question!!! I have the nasty hanging skin from having 2 c-sections that I was told would never go away unless if I have a tummy tuck, in which I refuse to get. I started out with 100+ pounds to lose, and i've lost right around 35lbs so far, my "dead hanging skin" is slowly shrinking but it is shrinking, so I know it's possible to lose the hanging skin, it just takes time and you have to do toning exercises as well. I have lost 6 1/2 inches on that "hanging skin" in 5 months! =] I don't know if that helps or answer your question at all, but that's my experience with it! :)
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I am in my 30's but from my experience it will tighten up a lot as you workout, eat right, and lose. I have lost over 10 inches in my waist and stomach. I am still having issues with my upper stomach where I guess it had been stretched out for so many years that it's just going to take time. My belly button still isn't in the spot it should be in.
    I have lost over 100 pounds in the past few years. Cardio is great also. To me personally, the extra skin and stretch marks are the least of my concerns. I just want to be healthy and that in itself will make my imperfections seem small :)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have lost my weight so far in 10 months and I have some loose skin in the belly area and a little in my arms and some in the top of my legs. It's totally worth the weight loss though, much healthier and over time it goes down. The younger you are the quicker it shrinks or so I have been told.
  • littleraindancers
    Options
    Thankyou for all of the suggestions! I don't feel so silly for asking now, it really was a valid question but I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable by asking. I "wish" I could loose 5 pounds a week, but that's a dream. I can manage 2 pounds a week, but then after a few weeks I slide off the track and I just need to stay motivated. Having a smaller tummy would be great motivation, I will try exercises and won't let myself slide off track on dieting this time. This is pretty neat (My Fitness Pal) because I can log in my exercise and what I eat, and still get suggestions and support! I am still happy to have found MFP. I am so glad there are people willing to post and help/support each other, I know I need the support and help dearly.

WOW!!! You lost 170 pounds? OMG, I have no excuse to not loose at least half what I should loose, if not all of it. You guys are a whole lot of inspiration! Even seeing where some of you lost 20 pounds, to me that would really make my day to get that far.

Yes, my health is more important than how much extra skin is left hanging on the tummy. I need to loose the weight for my health and that is my number one concern. I got curious though about the extra tummy skin, he he. I agree though that health is the number one reason to get rid of this weight for me, I mean 100 extra pounds is a lot of extra weight to pack around for someone in their late 40's. It's getting too hard for me to pack it around, it pulls me down.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Well my dear, I have lost 110 pounds in about a year, my biggest problem with my tummy is that I still have lots more to lose, however the skin is not awful, lots of stretch marks, maybe when I am done it will be terrible, but as of right now, not terrible. You know, ultimately it doesn't matter, cause if you lose 100 pounds and you have extra skin, you will still feel great and be so very proud of yourself and have tons of self-confidence...don't sweat the small stuff, sweat at the gym baby. Oh one more thing, strength training, don't forget it. You will like your transformation much more if you incorporate strength training into your workout routine. Plus it makes you feel like a bad *kitten* at the gym when you are in the boys section lifting.
  • littleraindancers
    Options
    Okay, I see the importance of good strength training exercises now, not just walking which is what i have been doing. Even if my tummy has left over skin, at least I would be in better shape. I will measure myself tonight and start on exercises in the morning. Is 5 days a week good or is strength training better if you do it every day regardless?
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    bumping without reading other posts ... yet.

I asked the same thing. I am determined to do this without surgery.

I have a friend older than I who got 'toned up' (sorry ninerbuff lol) after 2 years.

She looks FAN TASTIC.

We can do this !!

Gary