breakfast makes me hungrier

Options
I realize that breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. However, when I eat breakfast (cereal), I am starving by 9am! When there is no breakfast, I can easily make it until noon. I save more of my calories that way and feel better! Anyone know anything about metabolism and why this makes me hungrier?? Thanks! btw, I love everyone here! It is so good to get support and help!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Eating breakfast does not boost your metabolism. If you don't want to eat it, then don't! :flowerforyou:
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This used to be the case for me, I think it's a case of getting your body used to it. When I started my regime, I used to eat cereal and then by 10 I'd feel starving! I found a banana at this time or some other fruit would see me through til Lunch time.

After a while this went away and I can now eat cereal at 8 and easily go through til Lunch.

My advice would be to try this, if you do want a snack then try fruit but definitely don't consider giving up breakfast all together as it starts your metabolism earlier.
    Options

My advice would be to try this, if you do want a snack then try fruit but definitely don't consider giving up breakfast all together as it starts your metabolism earlier.

129161956341864092.gif
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey, i used to feel like that all time, id eat like a horse if i had breakfast and be fine without, But a year or so down the line of making myself sit and eat breakfast with my kids, i now starve if i dont and feel fine when i do lol. I think you just need to get used too it, hard if your trying to control your diet at the same time i know.
    Good luck!
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. Dont eat it if you dont want to.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I went through the starving thing when I ate breakfast as well. I had to change my foods....cereal made me starve by 9.....fruit by itself also did the same thing. So then....I found two things that made me feel good and not starve by lunch. Oatmeal....and then most days....I eat yogurt. Yogurt would fill me up. IT took me awhile to figure those things out. I even tried different cereals. I love it....but....it just made me starve soon after. Try different things....you will eventually find what works for you. : ) Best of luck. : )
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I'll try and naw off my arm by the time lunch rolls around.

But that's just me!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. Dont eat it if you dont want to.

This.
    I don't have the links but someone will provide them. There is no reason to eat breakfast if you don't want to. It does not 'start' or 'boost' your metabolism. It's a myth.

Eat it only if you function better with breakfast in your stomach, or eating breakfast prevents you from making bad lunch choices.

~~
    Join 'Punks, Goths & Metalheads United' group!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you are hungrier because your metabolism is working. Yes, you will have hunger pangs to fight. However, if you can control them (I have some ideas on how to do that), you should get a bit of metabolic kick out of it. What's more, I think you'll find that you will have more energy.

A lot goes into this, so I can't say a whole lot definitively without knowing more about your diet, but generally speaking, many sources I have read recommend not only eating something, but eating nearly 1/4 of your calories for breakfast. This gives you fuel to burn during the part of the day when you're active, instead of loading yourself up at dinner (when most people eat their greatest number of cals), when most of your activity for the day is likely over. Try eating a breakfast that's high in protein. Proteins are the slowest-digesting macronutrient and will keep you fuller longer.

Then, at 9, if you're hungry again...eat again ;) Just try to keep your snacks small and reasonable. Work more protein and more fresh vegetables into your diet, and hydrate steadily throughout the day.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like breakfast, but when i just eat cereal and milk, i am starving within an hour. i eat some oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter, and some coffee at 5am before work, and i can make it until about noon if i have to.
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Try eating a good Protein breakfast.

If I eat eggs I have no hunger until lunch. I sometimes will have a piece of fruit midway but that is all. Most times I am not hungry until lunch time. Then I try to have tuna or chicken for lunch. A satisfying soup is also enough for me...homemade in my case.

That is also something that I do for ease ...make a pot of soup and have it handy for a quick cup if I need it. It stops me from reaching for snacks.

hope that helps. :happy:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. It's been keeping the human race going since the dawn of time.
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, breakfast is ''important'' because it decreases the chance of snacking prior to lunchtime. Most people, if they don't have breakfast, cannot make it to lunch without some form of food and due to work/lack of time in general many people grab a quick (and usually unhealthy) snack such as crisps/chocolate etc.

If this isn't the case for you and you find it easier not to eat breakfast then don't. I tend to have a very very small breakfast like a piece of fruit or sometimes I just have a coffee and that keeps me going til lunchtime in the same way that a larger breakfast would. Different things work for different people, for example a lot of people say eggs and high protein things are good to eat in the morning as it keeps you full but this is not the case for me at all.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I see there are naysayers here, so I'll address that real quick. I'm sure you can find articles, studies, or quotes to support any opinion you want. There is so much contradictory information out there it will make your head spin. For example: 'Nancy Clark, registered dietician and author of Sports Nutrition recommends eating 1/3 of your daily calories for breakfast. Clarke says, “If you’re going to skip any meal, skip dinner but not breakfast. Your goal should be to fuel by day and eat a little less at night.”'

Now, this supports my own position on the matter. Not only that...it makes sense. Think of your metabolism as a fire. After a night of burning up what you loaded into it during the previous day, it's burning low, cooled off. You have to throw some fresh fuel on the fire. Not some dead leaves or newspaper that will burn bright and be gone in seconds. You need a piece of good hardwood, that will raise the heat level but also burn constantly for hours. THAT is your protein. My advice may be anecdotal, and there may be quotes that other people have found that contradict me, but I CAN tell you this definitively:

I eat breakfast every day, and I'm 70 pounds lighter than when I started.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The post above sounds the most sensible answer!
    Options
    Just because a dietitian said so does not make it correct. Find a peer reviewed clinical study that tells me so then ill uhh... do a dance for you :D haha

I can tell you this. Sidesteal, Acg67, myself, and many others on here skip breakfast every single day. And we are all very learn with fast metabolisms :]
  • Orrgarde86
    Options
    Yeah my metabolism quote might be a myth in a scientific sense but huffdog has this right.
    Options
    Yeah my metabolism quote might be a myth in a scientific sense but huffdog has this right.

Proof? Peer reviewed clinical study? Or broscience?

Correlation =/= causation
    :flowerforyou:
  • Orrgarde86
    Options
    Isn't the proof in huffdog's weightloss? What's the issue here? I offered my opinion in the fact that I eat breakfast and that works for me as well as a tip about eating fruit in between until your body gets used to it. It's surely up to the person asking the question whether they listen to that advice? Just because you don't agree with people that do eat breakfast doesn't mean you have to shoot down their posts?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast...I can't wait until lunch! I personally feel the need to give my body fuel in the morning. If I skip breakfast I tend to get cravings and it can lead to me snacking on unhealthy things before lunch. It makes more sense to me to try and eat my calories earlier in the day. I'm not sure why you are feeling hungry when you have had breakfast. maybe you are not eating enough breakfast? Don't be frightened of eating more, as long as you are compensating with exercise. Before people jump on me, I am no expert, this is just my opinion , and what works for me. I am on a 1200 cals a day, but most days I eat more as I eat some or sometimes all of my exercise calories back. This is what works for me, and when I finally reach my goal weight, I think my body will adjust better to maintenance this way. I see little point in starving myself. I have lost weight before just eating less and not exercising. I was thinner but didn't look healthy and the weight came back on. Hope you work it out!