Chicago

Options
reeldancer
reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
I am heading to Chicago for the weekend. Any good eats? Saturday will be spent at the BC v ND game but Sunday and Monday will be in the city.

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you want something that's quintessential Chicago food, go to Gino's East for pizza. Hell on the diet, but amazingly good ;)
  • becwheels
    becwheels Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also am heading to Chicago for the weekend! Leaving Here shortly and then taking the metra downtown. Sure be a zoo down there tomorrow. Can't wait to see the holiday lights/window displays. A fav place we go to is Greek Islands. It is out near Union Station in Greektown. A really fun place to eat. Have fun.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    GET THEE TO W DEVON AVE north of Downtown!!! It's the hotspot of Chicago's huge Southeast Asian / Indian community, and the best eats in the city in my book!
  • speednut
    Options
    Portillos hotdogs are awesome for authentic Chicago dogs and only 300 calories each. They have about 30 locations all over Chicago.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    ****'s Last Resort is fun. Kind of raunchy ... okay, a lot raunchy, but all in good fun. It's like an R rated Ed Debevic's.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Ok, I tried to reply but it was deleted. There's a fun restaurant with the shortened version the man's name Richard. Insert the shortened version and add Last Resort. It's kind of on the naughty side, but all in good fun. It's kind of like an Ed Debevic's, but more on the adult side.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Oh, the line to get into Uno's DT Chicago is worth the wait! You'll forget you waited like 2hrs when you start eating that pizza. As for aposh place... I like Japonais for drinks and Sushi! So many other places!!! My mind is spinning!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    do not go to the pizza places - go for some gorgeous fresh and healthy asian (sundae, japonais, le colonial), some gourmet organic (prasino), or some fabulous raw food (karyns) - all AMAZING

another chicgago favorite is a steakhouse (try IIIforks, chicago cut or capital grille), which all serve some gores and healthy fish dishes.

just because you leave your comfort zone doesn't meant you have to eat badly - all of those that i have listed above are some of the cites best and all have healthy options that don't ruin your healthy eating

enjoy - chicago is wonderful... BUT COLD!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    do not go to the pizza places - go for some gorgeous fresh and healthy asian (sundae, japonais, le colonial), some gourmet organic (prasino), or some fabulous raw food (karyns) - all AMAZING

another chicgago favorite is a steakhouse (try IIIforks, chicago cut or capital grille), which all serve some gores and healthy fish dishes.

just because you leave your comfort zone doesn't meant you have to eat badly - all of those that i have listed above are some of the cites best and all have healthy options that don't ruin your healthy eating

enjoy - chicago is wonderful... BUT COLD!

ooops i meant SUNDA, not sundae - all of these will require booking btw as they are DEFINALETY hotspots.... also try sushi samba for some cheaper prices....
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Portillos hotdogs are awesome for authentic Chicago dogs and only 300 calories each. They have about 30 locations all over Chicago.

But if you go, you have to throw calories to the wind and get a slice of their chocolate cake as well. Heavenly.

Try icream in wicker park, too. You make your own ice cream, frozen yogurt or other treats. First you choose what you want the ice cream to be made of, cream, light, soy, then you add your flavor, toppings and they make it right in front of you with liquid nitrogen. Delicious and fun!
    http://www.icreamcafe.com/menu/
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My votes(I love the city FYI)
    Randolph and Dearborn-Resturant called Petterinos. Amazing food and has cartoon drawings of celebrities all over the walls.. it's a must do in my book.
    Wabash and Wacker: Southwater Kitchen. A little cafe type place, that has awesome food.
    Hancock Building on Michigan Ave: Top of the 95th. They have a restaurant on the 95th floor of the Hancock Building with big windows all around.. it truly is the best view of the city.
    State Street: Beef and Brandy. Little hole in the wall Mom and Pop place.. It's my mom's and I go to when we can't decide, since they have practically everything.

Enjoy Chicago.. Saturday is going to be a zoo due to the light festival, but Sunday and Monday should be good.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Hot Doug's - awesome dogs
    Hopleaf - amazing mussels in wine sauce
    Kuma's Korner - hamburgers are rock stars
    Pequod's - deep dish pizza (get the cheese crust)
    this list can keep going - can you narrow your field down a bit?
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the insight. We arrived late last night. Can't wait to get out and see the city and try some of the food. We eat anything - albeit in moderation.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Ed Debevics is a fun place and pinkberry has awesome frozen yougurt