Question for people who have lost

Options
I read an article on Jennifer Hudson her weight loss and she said that people were nicer to her... and I was wondering for those of you who have lost 50+ pounds, a dramtic loss, have you experienced people treating you better after you lost the weight? This is something I was just wondering. Thank you

Replies

• shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've lost right at 50 pounds, and the change is amazing. People are more friendly, especially men.
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have found people are more friendly and say morning/afternoon to me in the street. I put it down to my new found confidence because I now walk around with my head held high not looking at my feet and I tend to smile at people more lol.
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've lost right at 50 pounds, and the change is amazing. People are more friendly, especially men.

^^ This! It's true.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    oh yes definitely
    now due to ill health the weight has come back and again I notice a difference
    this time when I lose it it WILL NOT be coming back
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Random girls I meet everywhere are nicer, since I am more attractive... (I am a man btw)
    I feel more confident and thus am more "approachable", this makes people nicer too.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think the process of eating better and improving my fitness level by working out has made me a happier, more confident individual (endorphins ROCK)! I think this is what people notice and respond to, more than just the change in my appearance.
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    Unfortunately...yes. I wish I could say that I would be judged by something other than my weight...my personality, perhaps? I wonder how it will be when I have lost the last 40 I have to go...
  • wanda007
    Options
    Hey I figure if they didnt want to talk to me while I'm fat I sure won't waste my time on them when I'm thin!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think the process of eating better and improving my fitness level by working out has made me a happier, more confident individual (endorphins ROCK)! I think this is what people notice and respond to, more than just the change in my appearance.

I agree with this comment! I have lost a total of 42 pounds now (3 before MFP) and haven't really noticed that I am being treated differently, but even when I was at my heaviest, I am still a naturally confident person so I think people in general picked up on that regardless of my weight!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes, strangely.
  • katesbeach
    katesbeach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed people being nicer to me since I've lost weight. And I've gotten a lot more attention from men. Although like clarech82 said, I'm hoping at least some of it's due to the fact that I'm a much more confident than I've ever been before.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Its true. I only lost not even 5 kgs but now people talk to me at the gym. Before not so much. Now the men all start to work out around me so they can gawk at my bottom when I do squats!!!! It is definitely true that you can be a bit invisible to the male population unless you are good looking. Which in our culture means slim.
    So you won't change that, but its a good reason to change as it s something you can control - why hold yourself back with people by staying big?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm still well over weight, with at least another 40lbs to go, but yes I don't feel like I'm looked at as a piece of crap instead I feel like people treat me like a person. I even see people in my own family treat me better.
  • Ready2BEthin
    Ready2BEthin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Its not something I ever thought about really until I read that article. A friend of mine told me that Gwenth Paltrow said in an interview once that when she was prepareing for the role in "Shallow Hal" she wore the "fat suit" on the street to truely experience being obese, and she said people barely spoke to her, and she got stares vs. when she is just her thin self. I havent really experienced people treating me too bad, but I thought wow, wonder how ill be treated at a healthy size. And just wanted to hear experiences from people who have lost. Thank you all for your post.
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no...they wish I would stfu about caloric limit and cardio and scales. :(
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've seen some change in people's attitudes, but there is also a change in my attitude. So yeah things are different. :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed much difference in how other people treat me, but I know I'm a lot nicer to myself. :flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I sometimes notice people of the opposite sex smiling more.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes, much nicer. In fact, as far as men go - too nice. I was very naive before I lost weight and was totally unprepared for what was waiting for me. But in general, I was shocked at how much more authority one has as a slimmer person - you can complain about things in stores for eg and people actually listen. I also think it was paired with taking much more care of how I looked etc though.
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've always been a confident person, but people are definitely nicer to me since I've lost 100+lbs!! It irritates me more often than not... I guess since I don't judge people based on outside characteristics, I don't like being confronted with the fact that so many people do.. :-(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!