Chia Seeds: My little secret.

Options

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Get them in Coles in Australia, health food section.
  • debisonthejob
    Options
    Interesting. I'm excited to try them. Just ordered them from nutsonline.com.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Excited to try this!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I just got a bag, but haven't tried them yet.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • WalkWell
    Options
    Flax seeds are awesome- google it or their other name linseed. They really help with joint health- and all the things fish oil help with. And good for, um, regularity too.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Another "amazing health discovery" that will be forgotten about in a few years when the next big thing comes out.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this too since I saw a Dr. Oz show on them. I also do ground flax seed too. the only problem I have with the chia seeds is they get stuck in my teeth.
  • lad0981
    lad0981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    BUMP and thanks
  • tiedye
    Options
    I just bought a 1/4 cup from the bulk bin at whole foods! Going to mix it with some almond milk to make the chia seed "pudding" today :)
  • Priscillawants74gone
    Options
    Excellent. It's good to see people with good common sense. I would also suggest psyllium husk. It's kind of the same thing. I believe chia has more nutrient value. I would also suggest a website called naturalnews.com with mike adams.

Love the Health Ranger!
  • ChiaMom
    Options
    I like my Chia seeds ground instead of the whole seed. They mix into my yogurt or oatmeal more easily and then nothing gets stuck in my teeth :) ... you can get the ground (milled) at runningfood.com CM
  • tangledinplaidd
    tangledinplaidd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump

good luck everyone
  • stporter
    Options
    Bump!
  • kerryh1976
    Options
    I have been eating them for a little while now, for any other UK MFPers out there I only managed to find them on-line as in Europe they are only "approved" for bakery products.

Definitely a weird consistency added to water/liquids; the chia "gel" it makes in water is recommended by a lot of runners but I quite like adding a scoop to my porridge with extra water - it bulks it out and you don't notice the gloopiness.
  • kerryh1976
    Options
    I have been eating them for a little while now, for any other UK MFPers out there I only managed to find them on-line as in Europe they are only "approved" for bakery products.

Definitely a weird consistency added to water/liquids; the chia "gel" it makes in water is recommended by a lot of runners but I quite like adding a scoop to my porridge with extra water - it bulks it out and you don't notice the gloopiness.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    At the Naturalnews store you can get chia seeds at under $6 a lb. @ naturalnews .com
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have been eating it for a while as well. Chia has more Omega 3s than Flax seeds and it digestible without first grinding it. I add it to my morning cereal, and often have some in a glass of water with some lemon juice and stevia at night. For me it is a regular part of my eating and I would not stop eating it. I purchase mine in bulk at Bulkfoods.com
  • tiedye
    Options
    Well, I experimented with my chia seeds this afternoon!

I used 1/4 cup chia seeds
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (had on hand)
    3 hours in the fridge

*stirred up*
    *tasted*

pretty bland but didn't mind the texture like others have said it's just like tapioca pudding!

added a tablespoon of raw cane sugar...

nom nom nom.

ate about 4 big spoonfuls and will save the rest for later.
  • tangledinplaidd
    tangledinplaidd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, I experimented with my chia seeds this afternoon!

I used 1/4 cup chia seeds
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (had on hand)
    3 hours in the fridge

*stirred up*
    *tasted*

pretty bland but didn't mind the texture like others have said it's just like tapioca pudding!

added a tablespoon of raw cane sugar...

nom nom nom.

ate about 4 big spoonfuls and will save the rest for later.

nice nice