How do you deal with the afternoon slump?

Options
dragonfly1178
dragonfly1178 Posts: 55 Member
I was just wondering how you deal with the afternoon slump. I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day and everyday around 1:30 in the afternoon I hit that brick wall. All I want to do is take a nap and I can’t focus on my work. I feel my eyes roll to the back of my head. I’ve tried taking walks around the building but it doesn’t seem to help, I don’t drink any soda or energy drinks. If I have a coffee it usually gives me an upset stomach. Ugh….

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier
  • dutches50
    Options
    Get up and do the stair well or walk around. Save your errands for that time of day and force yourself to move. Rather than call someone, walk over to their desk.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat really healthy lunches, I don't feel as fatigued. When I eat something like fast food, I definitely crash. But now that I'm focusing on my health, and eating really well, I don't really experience that anymore. Could that be a factor with you?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Have you tied tea?
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Easy, I nap at lunch. I'm good for the rest of the day. :wink:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Do you get a lunch break?

I sit at a desk most of the time for my job and I've found if I go out for a 30 minute walk outside during my lunch break then it helps. A mixture between the fresh air and stepping away from my desk helps. Small 10-minute walks don't help as much, but if I'm gone for at least 30 minutes then it's easier for me to last through the afternoon.

Otherwise taking a B-vitamin complex with a large glass of water might help.

Or make sure you're drinking enough water. Not enough will make you feel sluggish.
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    go out for a quick 10 minutes walk & a green tea!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well, I know some on here will jump on me for this but I no longer have afternoon slumps. I used to have them daily and bad. But, since cutting down my wheat-based carbs and other starches, I don't have them anymore.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    An afternoon cup of coffee.
    A walk at lunch.
    Put together an action item list that you can knock off, line by line, until it's time to go home.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had this problem but I am a carpenter on my feet all day. I found out by looking at my diary I wasn't having much in the way of carbs for lunch. I add some and bam problem solved. Take a look at your diary maybe add some carbs or some fruit for sugar in the afternoon. best of luck to you.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Have you tied tea?

I've never had much luck tying tea, how does this work?

Oatmeal with Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut butter is my slump repellant, it works like a charm!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just sit there and wait.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Have you tied tea?

I've never had much luck tying tea, how does this work?

It contains caffeine
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well, I know some on here will jump on me for this but I no longer have afternoon slumps. I used to have them daily and bad. But, since cutting down my wheat-based carbs and other starches, I don't have them anymore.
    I love my carbs, but I did cut down on how many I was eating for lunch. I used to eat pasta all the time and I would always get that slump, for as far back as I can remember. I'm not talking about cutting them out entirely, like I will still have a sandwich for lunch, but cutting back really helped. I don't get that slump anymore either.

Have you tried a glass of water when you hit the slump? I find that can help sometimes when I feel tired.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I had this problem but I am a carpenter on my feet all day. I found out by looking at my diary I wasn't having much in the way of carbs for lunch. I add some and bam problem solved. Take a look at your diary maybe add some carbs or some fruit for sugar in the afternoon. best of luck to you.
    And you say the exact opposite of what I said... lol! You have to find what works for you individually, I guess.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs, but I did cut down on how many I was eating for lunch. I used to eat pasta all the time and I would always get that slump, for as far back as I can remember. I'm not talking about cutting them out entirely, like I will still have a sandwich for lunch, but cutting back really helped. I don't get that slump anymore either.

Have you tried a glass of water when you hit the slump? I find that can help sometimes when I feel tired.

This. A glass of water always perks me up.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I wish our society respected siesta time!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Are you gluten intolerant? Going GF increased my energy level.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of Chai with a splash of milk and honey. Nice cinnamony break (with a caffeine bonus).
  • dragonfly1178
    dragonfly1178 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier

I get plenty of sleep at night.