Still No Weight Loss after 2 weeks.....HELP!!!

Options
well....went to gym (again!!) and weighed myself....no change...again...can't understand it at all. I have been logging everything - even the booze at the weekend! I worked out I have eaten an average of 1385 calories per day and have exercised 6 days out of 7.

My total for the week was 9692 calories and my total goal was 11478 (including exercise calories) - a deficit of 1786......totally bemused and demotivated! Anyone got any suggestions??

My BMR is about 1450 and normal calorie goal is 1250.

I will make my diary public for a while so you can all see it - appreciative of any comments/advice please.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    MFP already includes the deficit in your goal, so by coming in under every day, you are going into a larger deficit. This is likely why your results aren't going as predicted. Start hitting that goal every day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP already includes the deficit in your goal, so by coming in under every day, you are going into a larger deficit. This is likely why your results aren't going as predicted. Start hitting that goal every day.

Agreed.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your sodium intake? Women tend to be more prone to be sodium sensitive which locks up water in the body. The best solution for it is just drink a LOT of water. 10-12 cups isn't too much.

Also, when I looked at your diary, I noticed that you still had a couple more columns that you can add. That might help.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Do you mean hitting the goal including the exercise calories or just the normal daily goal of 1250?
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? I would start there. You could be losing fat but gaining muscle so the scale doesn't move.

Are you 100% certain on portion size and exercise calories burnt? If you aren't weighing your food, you could be overeating. If you don't have a HRM you could be overestimating calories burned.

Otherwise maybe you need a rest day or you aren't getting enough sleep.

Try drinking more water and eating less sodium.

Try changing the intensity of your workouts or switching it up.

Search MFP for "Plateau" - people have awesome ideas on how to switch it up and kick start the weight loss.

My advice is to get a tape and use measurements and avoid the scale and just keep doing what you're doing. If you're being healthy, the weight will eventually come off. Try to not obsess over the scale.
  • BNUG
    BNUG Posts: 10
    Options
    try measureing inches and weight on a set day every week....of even weight once a week and measure once a month...that way you see the differnece in the tape measure even if your not seeing it on the scale... remeber mucsle weighs more than fat :D
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1300 and whatever I burn in excercise I always eat. If you go under I would not go under more thatn 1-200 calories because then you are getting into a defecit. Try this for a week and see how it goes. It sounds like you are doing all the right things!
  • erickirb
    Options

Do you mean hitting the goal including the exercise calories or just the normal daily goal of 1250?
    1250 already includes a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight, so you should eat all 1250 plus eat back what you burn from exercise to ensure your deficit is at your goal amount.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? I would start there. You could be losing fat but gaining muscle so the scale doesn't move.

Are you 100% certain on portion size and exercise calories burnt? If you aren't weighing your food, you could be overeating. If you don't have a HRM you could be overestimating calories burned.

Otherwise maybe you need a rest day or you aren't getting enough sleep.

Try drinking more water and eating less sodium.

Try changing the intensity of your workouts or switching it up.

Search MFP for "Plateau" - people have awesome ideas on how to switch it up and kick start the weight loss.

My advice is to get a tape and use measurements and avoid the scale and just keep doing what you're doing. If you're being healthy, the weight will eventually come off. Try to not obsess over the scale.

i took some measurements mid week so will defo keep an eye on this.
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    try measureing inches and weight on a set day every week....of even weight once a week and measure once a month...that way you see the differnece in the tape measure even if your not seeing it on the scale... remeber mucsle weighs more than fat :D

Muscle does NOT weight more than fat. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of dirt. Just sayin.....
  • amandarae1980
    amandarae1980 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the responses that you need more calories; I looked at your diary and I would be STARVING if I were you! :)

Are you strength training? That can help push a plateau. Also, what about adding a whey protein shake in somewhere? Research has shown that people who add whey protein to their diets lose more weight.

Stick with it; I know it is frustrating. My weight loss is going much slower than I want it to...
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. I actually went to a dietician the first part of August. She did a resting metabolic rate test on me. It came back I only need 1000 calories a day for my body to function. There is no way I can eat less than 1000 a day without starving. I starve at 1200-1300 a day. Hopefully things will start changing for us both soon. I know how discouraging it is. I am really afraid of what will happen with the holidays coming up!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    it might be u are not getting enough calories ...specailly if u are exercising alot.
  • BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    I am new but, I took a peek at our diary and it looks as though maybe your not eating enough.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. I actually went to a dietician the first part of August. She did a resting metabolic rate test on me. It came back I only need 1000 calories a day for my body to function. There is no way I can eat less than 1000 a day without starving. I starve at 1200-1300 a day. Hopefully things will start changing for us both soon. I know how discouraging it is. I am really afraid of what will happen with the holidays coming up!

thank goodness someone else has the same issue. i will persevere for a few more weeks and if no results then will defo go and see someone in the new year! roll on the holidays - turkey only for me - very low in fat!:laugh:
  • zumbanelly
    Options
    MEASURE YOURSELF! AND DO THIS SOON! Track it. And make sure you have someone else do it so you can get the most accurate number. I am a certified Zumba Instructor and I have a group of about 16 of my followers on a November challenge right now. And first, I made sure they realized that the measuring was more important than the weight. We even had a huge discussion about it! I try and recondition their thinking. This is not my first monthly challenge. The last one, I told them my weight at the end and I blew them away. They were expecting me to say something around 130. Far from it. I am 5'3" - I wear a size small in everything and am a size 6 jeans. Almost size 4 dress. Have the measurements of 36 - 28 - 38. Are you ready for my weight????
    I weigh 160. By telling them this - they embraced their measurement loss so much more! And realized what I had been trying to tell them all along. That we were reshaping them - reconditioning them - not just trying to make a thinner them! Does this help? I'm willing to share my woes and be as transparent as possible to help those trying to reach their fitness goal. Just like when trying to reach ANY goal. So many obstacles can get in the way. Dont let the "weight" frustration get you down! PUSH ON SISTA!
  • auctoritas
    Options

Muscle does NOT weight more than fat. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of dirt. Just sayin.....

Lol there are so many threads arguing this. If you're measuring yourself, an equal amount by volume of fat will be lighter than an equal amount by volume of muscle. So, if your waist is shrinking but you're not losing weight, you have more muscle and less fat without changing your weight. Ergo, muscle weights more than fat (by volume. Which is implied.)
  • erickirb
    Options

Yes it does weigh more. when comparing weights of 2 things keep volume constant. It is always assumed that when someone says muscle weighs more than fat they are implying by volume. So since volume is implied there is no reason to say it.
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options

A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. And that's what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat. It's semantics...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

thank goodness someone else has the same issue. i will persevere for a few more weeks and if no results then will defo go and see someone in the new year! roll on the holidays - turkey only for me - very low in fat!:laugh:

So just going to disregard the advice to watch your net calories then? That's the whole key...