appendix surgery... when should I workout again.

Options
I just had my appendix removed. I haven't been to my follow up appointment yet but I am bummed that I haven't worked out for a week and a half. Does anyone know when it is safe to workout again? I hope it is not too long. :sad:

Replies

• calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just had my appendix removed. I haven't been to my follow up appointment yet but I am bummed that I haven't worked out for a week and a half. Does anyone know when it is safe to workout again? I hope it is not too long. :sad:
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would wait until you can check with your doctor. In the meantime, you might be able to go for walks and keep it light, but I wouldn't do anything too intense until your doctor can give you the go ahead.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Call your Physician
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out in high school (almost 20 years ago...holy crap haha) the doctor told me I couldn't swim or ride a bike for a good amount of time or you could develop lesions or something on the wound. I want to say it was about 2 months. :ohwell:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I recently had mine taken out. Your follow-up appointment should be coming up, right? Wait and ask. I was given some restrictions but that was because I had hip surgery a month before that. They told me that there aren't usually any restrctions. But check with your doctor. I don't think it should be too long. Feel better:flowerforyou:
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I go to the doctor on Thursday. I just wanted to prepare myself in case it was recommended to not workout for a while. I am pissed because I was finally in shape and now I feel like it will take a while to build up again.:mad:
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you had it done laparoscopically you need to be real careful so the the tiny incisions don't become herniated.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Was it a laparoscopic procedure where they inflate your belly? If so, then your doctor will probably suggest six weeks. The reason for this is because you can develop tissue and muscle adhesions in your abdomen that are extremely painful and sometimes require another surgery to remove. I'm talking from experience. It's worth listening to the doctor. But as you feel better, start parking your car rather in the parking lot, walking up stairs, walking on a treadmill. Just be careful. Hope you have a quick recovery.
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I allow my appendix patients--if done laparoscopically and no immediate complications to walk same day--and if they are able to get by with no narcotics-- then they can WALK as much as they want.

I usually find most people take a couple of weeks before they feel up to anything----and I don't like heavy weights that require straining for 2 weeks and no lifting pianos for 6 weeks!--but everyone is different---

my father walked 3 miles THREE days after having his kidney out for cancer----he rode his bike 5 miles 4 days after---everyone is different---

a quick call to your doctor tomorrrow morning will sort it out!!

I walked 3 miles days after lap gall bladder and I swam one mile 5 days after.