Can any runners advise?

Options
Had a running assessment at the physio today after having developed problems with knee tendons in recent weeks every time I run ever short distances. This is a new problem - while I am not a runner I never had issues when younger.

He said my gait is ok, I don't heel strike and pronation is ok. The only issue he could spot was what he called dropping my hip when the opposite foot hits the ground.

I guess it is this... http://www.physiotherapy.co.uk/exercises/running/run_hipdrop_l_gmed.shtml

Does anyone know some good exercises to remedy this??

One thing that confuses me in the link is that it says to ensure heel strike is achieved - I thought runners should avoid heel striking and try to land on the forefoot??

Replies

• c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Had a running assessment at the physio today after having developed problems with knee tendons in recent weeks every time I run ever short distances. This is a new problem - while I am not a runner I never had issues when younger.

He said my gait is ok, I don't heel strike and pronation is ok. The only issue he could spot was what he called dropping my hip when the opposite foot hits the ground.

I guess it is this... http://www.physiotherapy.co.uk/exercises/running/run_hipdrop_l_gmed.shtml

One thing that confuses me in the link is that it says to ensure heel strike is achieved - I thought runners should avoid heel striking and try to land on the forefoot??

If this truly is your issue, then to strengthen the core, tighten your pelvic floor. it's a little rhyme I use with my clients. Basically, do a Kegel exercise, tighten the musicles you use to stop the flow of urine. Pilates type exercises (when pelvic floor is engaged) are very good at strengthening tva and mulitifidi. Also do glute strengthening on one leg at a time. I also like to do reverse step backs. You can start by hanging onto a fixed object at about waist height. Stand on one leg. keep your supporting leg very close to the object. With your torso upright sit back on one leg, keeping hip, knee and foot lined up. The weight should go into the hip of the supporting leg. I wish I had a video to show you. I have actually learned that mid foot strike is effective. so I don't know what to say about that. Be sure you look into foam rolling too, to make sure the IT band is loosened up. Often when the glutes are weak or imbalanced, the IT band takes over. Sleeping with a pillow between your legs, on your side can help. Also, try to vary the sides of the road you run on. And if you want me to send my 10 week walk to running plan, I can.

All that said, my disclaimer is this is general information based on my years of experience as a certified trainer, and a runner myself. I hope it is helpful, but I urge you to compare what I say to your physical therapist or sports med doc.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem about my right hip dropping causing pains in my inner legs and knee. my PT had to find out which muscles were weak causing the drop and it was both my hip and ab muscles that were weak. he's having me do several exercises such as side planks and leg lifts to strengthen those muscles.

I suggest seeing a PT that specializes in sports medicine and get a thorough evaluation.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem about my right hip dropping causing pains in my inner legs and knee. my PT had to find out which muscles were weak causing the drop and it was both my hip and ab muscles that were weak. he's having me do several exercises such as side planks and leg lifts to strengthen those muscles.

I suggest seeing a PT that specializes in sports medicine and get a thorough evaluation.
    Funny you should say side planks, as I have noticed recently having started them that my right oblique is a LOT weaker than my left one. It's been my left knee that's had trouble twice, my right once.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options

according to my podiatrist and the latest article on the Triathlete's World UK website, your foot strike is wired into your bio metrics. So if you heel strike, as i do, thats what you should work with and try not to change that, but change your stride and candence technique and speed to run more efficiently.

My podiatrist actually said, its better for long distance runners (Marathon and Ultras) to run heel or mid-foot (mid-foot mainly), as it doesnt put extra stresses on the muscles that propel you and you dont fatigue as quickly.

as for any exercises, sorry i cant help, but if you run naturally heel or mid foot striking, try running like that, your "hip dip" maybe as a result of compensating for you trying to run on your toe???? food for thought? let me know how you get on when ever you do
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Heel striking is bad for your knees, but changing your running style will most likely lead to injury.

Emma, you have the core of a limp noodle because you've still not been doing the heavy lifting I told you to weeks ago and are doing isolation moves supplied by someone with the IQ of a fruit loop that has done a three week course.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Heel striking is bad for your knees, but changing your running style will most likely lead to injury.

Emma, you have the core of a limp noodle because you've still not been doing the heavy lifting I told you to weeks ago and are doing isolation moves supplied by someone with the IQ of a fruit loop that has done a three week course.
    Ok normally I appreciate your posts but this one is rather arrogant. The reason I haven't started what you term heavy lifting is because I have been very busy at work and with kids and haven't had time to get to the gym. And buying home weights isn't an option.
    And limp noodle is somewhat extreme. Especially given you cannot possibly assess that from several thousand km away.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I would appreciate citation with this; I don’t mind people creating an argument against my claim (it is how we learn), but have it supported, please.

Here is the full article i quoted in my post http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-run/perfect-your-running-form/7635.html as of 18/11/2011
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Emma, I'm sorry for limp noodle, it was supposed to be playful but I obviously messed up and was insulting.

Gravy, I didn't disagree with you, and I don't need a citation of a clinical study if I did. This is an internet forum.
  • adhillman01
    Options

I would appreciate citation with this; I don’t mind people creating an argument against my claim (it is how we learn), but have it supported, please.

Here is the full article i quoted in my post http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-run/perfect-your-running-form/7635.html as of 18/11/2011

I wasn't able to access the article. I am very interested in reading this as I have been considering trying to change my running form. Could you copy and paste it in here or send it to me in a message?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-run/perfect-your-running-form/7635.html

It worked for me, and It's a short article on landing more 'centre of mass' rather than changing your running style so to speak.

Why change if you're injury free?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is a pic of me heel striking my way to a 1:28:48 half marathon (downhill course), taking down a four year old PR from the same race. I'm not willing to mess with my stride when it seems to be serving me well. YMMV.

Fontana2011oncourse-1.jpg
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    This is a pic of me heel striking my way to a 1:28:48 half marathon (downhill course), taking down a four year old PR from the same race. I'm not willing to mess with my stride when it seems to be serving me well. YMMV.

Fontana2011oncourse-1.jpg

Have you tried kegels?
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options

Yes - forefoot strike

Are you running a lot on the shoulder of the road?
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Ironsmasher all is forgiven xx

No I don't run on the shoulder of the road at all.

Just had a horrible thought....

I have never loved running, but did it as a child then swimming was my thing,

I recently started running (10 mins max) after buying new Asics Gel Trabuco shoes. Around the same time I did 30DS so was unsure if it was the running and/or the plyometrics that have left me with weeks of knee tendon issues.

After getting clearance from physio to start C25K I did session ONE and that was my knees gone again.

I have had a running assessment which showed little of significance.

However, it has just dawned on me that before I started my running at the gym, I did a 7 minutes run just round my kids school field, and had no problems afterwards. I now recall walking to the school and looking down and thinking "feck I forgot to wear my new shoes" - instead I had my old worn out warehouse ones on.

Could it be simply that these shoes have caused my issues? I know I do have some biomechanical glitches but could it be the shoes are the culprits here???? I can't believe my old had it knackered out ones would be fine and these newer costly ones are not good for me!!!