Vegan Diet?

Options
So I have been reading about vegan diet. And all the health benefits make it REALLY alluring. I love the idea of being more healthy and feeling more energetic.

Here's my problem....taste. lol I am a meat person all the way. I have gone MONTHS without eating a single veggie. And to push myself into an all veggie diet makes me feel like blowing my brains out. How can I live without the REALLY tasty stuff? (I say all veggie because I am a HUGE fruit person. I consider fruit candy)

I'm not a fan of tofu...it's like rubber and tasteless. Plus I heard soy isn't as great for you as promised. Is this true?
I also can't stand vegan cheese...nasty. lol

What's a good compromise? Like a cheat day (or 2) where you get to eat meat/animal by-products?

Anyone else out there reading this who found their selves in the same boat and came up with a good compromise with them selves?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You can eat meat, you dont have to deprive yourself of things you like, focus on portion control and moderation. Dont start eating a way you cant eat for the rest of your life. Find healthier ways to make your favorite things, make stuff from scratch and cut out a lot of the processed foods and that alone, even with eating meat which you still can, will make you feel tons better and more energetic
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried a vegan diet for 2 days and I couldn't stand it! I like vegetables and I'm not a big red meat eater, I do love my chicken and turkey though lol but I just couldn't do it. I lost 1.5lbs in the 2 days I did it but to me it wasn't worth it. If you don't eat pretty similar to that diet already you're probably going to have a hard time sticking with it.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just switched to a vegan diet 3 weeks ago. Not going to lie, It was very tough at first but with a lot of research online and recipes, I found changes I could make. I like soy milk better actually. And tofu isn't that bad. It just takes on the flavors of whatever you are cooking it with. I started out with the notion of taking 1 cheat day a week so I could still eat my subway sandwiches but I like the diet so much, I don't need cheat days. It has made me feel 100 % better. And I watched "Earthlings" hard to watch but furthermore told me that switching to vegan was the right choice for me,
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    oh and while I was on the diet I was very sluggish... I had no energy lol so I don't know what happened
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Every little bit helps! Why not start small, like Meatless Mondays? :heart: Then maybe start having vegan dinners every day.

If you LOVE eating animal products, then a lifetime of never eating them isn't very realistic unless you REALLY want it. I say start small, and see what works for you.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hello, i am not a vegan but i am trying to cut back on my dairy and egg production since going vegetarian. Tofu absorbs whatever you are cooking it in and can taste meaty when frozen before cooking. There are alot of products that can substitute meat while cooking and just for eating. If you don't want soy, try rice milk. It tastes really good! As for vegetables, go out of your way to try a new one every week and cook three things with the vegetable. It opens you up to alot of new things, tastes, and recipies. Best of luck!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with VeganGal84 who said to try Meatless Mondays, first. If you enjoy meat that much, you may be setting yourself up to fail. I recently decided to become vegetarian, but it hasn't been that difficult for me because I didn't eat much meat to begin with.

I do crave it, sometimes, but I made the decision because it fits in better with my beliefs. Why not try becoming pescatarian or ovo-lacto vegetarian, first?
  • LittlestStar
    LittlestStar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A vegan diet is a great thing to try. Give yourself a week and see how it goes - monitor how you feel, your energy, your emotions, and whether you're enjoying what you're eating. Just try for a week.

Field Roast vegan sausages (at Whole Foods, probably elsewhere) - especially the Apple Sage - is like real meat. So is the Lite Life Gimme Lean breakfast sausage (any grocery store will carry this in the veg section). These are great if you are just DYING for meat, but they're vegan. And I have to say I really enjoy the Boca vegan chick'n nuggets. They are fantastic dipped in buffalo sauce.

Now, that stuff is probably not so healthy for you b/c it's processed. But if you like legumes, you can totally do this! I am vegan and eat a lot of curried lentils, bean chilis, tacos/burritos, salad, etc. I can give you some great recipes - from baked bread to stew.

Also check out Alice Water's cookbook from Chez Panisse. It's all vegetables but she shows you delicious ways to cook vegetables that taste like vegetables: ONLY BETTER.

GOOD LUCK!
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling sluggish?
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I follow a Veganish diet...

The reason I say veganish is because I slip...Either on baked goods (sorry cows and chickens), fast food (a huge sorry to any of those as well!!) and even have had a hot dog...twice. I honor it as a Journey...

The reason for me was because of the reality of those farm animals...Seriouly makes me sick.

And because I didn't really eat that much meat...

I started off with Alicia Silverstone's "kiND Diet" and i never felt BETTER!

People who go Vegan but who don't eat enough protein will feel like crap..But I am telling you...When I follow it 100% (which has never been more than a couple of week sadly); no bloating...no zits....energy level up..

Good luck and do whatever works for YOU!

E xo
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi I became vegan almost a year ago and have never felt better. I too loved meat but felt that with all that tastes lovely in this world there is no need to kill animals. Yes it was difficult at first and yes its a challenge now when I go out but on the positive side when I gave up milk my stomach just shrank. I now know that I dairy didn't agree with me and it was making me really bloated but because I ate it every day I had no idea. I say find some food and recipes that you like and start by eating them personally I have found a whole new joy in cooking as its a challenge for me to make food that tastes great with no cruelty involved. Once you start being aware and open yourself up to the compassionate life of caring about where your food comes from the rest is easy.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You can be perfectly healthy with less work by simply eating more balanced. Why go all vegan? Eat normal portions and start including vegetables. It's not like it's got to be all or nothing :/
  • MissTink
    Options
    Hey, I'm really glad to hear that you're considering going vegan! It's fantastic for you, and for the animals/environment. :) I'm (unfortunately) not a vegan, but that's only due to living with my parents. I am a Vegetarian going on a year and half though!

The biggest tip I can give you is take it slow, and forgive yourself if you slip up in the first couple of months. Not going to lie, it is really hard to give up meat, especially if you love it as much as I did.

Before you dive headfirst into veganism: up your vegetable intake a lot. Go vegetarian first, and then go vegan. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to transition, and be really happy in your vegan diet.
    Start with a few meat free days per week, and just keep eating less meat/animal products. After the first month meat-free I couldn't even think about eating chicken/beef again without feeling ill, and that was compared to when I used to eat chicken 4-5 days a week.
    A word on meat/dairy replacements: a lot of them are quite disgusting, I've tried quite a few different ones and some I love, some I hate. It all depends on your taste preferences. So just pick a couple each week/month and try them out. You will probably be able to find something you like.

A book I would really recommend reading is called 'Skinny *****' by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. It's really informative and will probably make you want to do this even more than you do now. It gives you the low down on the ways that animals are treated in the food industry, and also what their products are doing to your body when you eat them.

Most of all, educate yourself. Find LOTS of recipes and different foods to try out. You're opening yourself up to a whole new world of food. Enjoy it!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My whole family switched to a whole foods plant-based diet in June this year. That is essentially a low-fat vegan diet. My husband was an avid meat-eater and we had two children to transition as well. It was hard in the beginning to learn how to prepare foods that we would like. It takes more than a few days to give this a serious effort. It takes at least 21-28 days to realize how liveable it really is and to start building up a collection of healthy easy-to-prepare plant-based recipes.

But it didn't take that long for us to notice immediate health benefits. We had more energy right away. Our taste buds changed. I never really cared much for veggies before and now I just LOVE them. My husband and I have dropped 110 pounds between us and he is off of all his BP, cholesterol and anxiety medications. If you do this right, your health will improve considerably. My seasonal allergies disappeared. My cholesterol levels dropped and my sinuses cleared up. I attribute the benefits to the lifestyle change rather than the weight loss because these improvements were almost immediate, before the weight had a chance to come off. We no longer have acid reflux. My husband no longer suffers from hemmorhoids. We feel more active and happier. Even my children have adjusted beautifully. One eats anything and one is super picky. My picky one has decided that she LOVES my home made fat-free hummus. That is something I never would have tried before.

I highly recommend the movie, "Forks Over Knives". It clearly demonstrates how eating this way can prevent and even reverse heart disease, cancer and diabetes. It was convincing enough to change our lives.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    First of all I'm pescetarian, not vegan (only meat I eat is fish), but I do have a lot of vegan days. If you think vegan eating is tasteless, you are not using the right recipes. Appetite for Reduction, Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Veganomicon, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (had to throw that in, lol), etc. have some amazing dishes. The first two use a lot of normal, whole foods.

Most of my protein comes from legumes and I do eat tofu on occasion. Pressing it is important because it allows it to take on the flavors of whatever sauce you are using.

As for sluggishness, I have several vegan friends who are very active. A couple run marathons and one is a triathlete and participates in ironmans. Again, if you are sluggish on a vegan diet (think about it - TONS of micronutrients should be coursing through you body) then you aren't eating the right things. Variety and lots of color!!
  • bunny876
    bunny876 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was born. My husband and I both went to it, and we done it for about two years. Within that two years both of us came off of blood pressure meds, and my husband came off cholesterol meds as well. It was the best we felt. Granted it did not last, I think we should have went gradual instead of one day just going cold turkey. I think gradual is the best way to go, slowly phasing things out.

I hated the taste of tofu and some veggies but after a while you learn to love them. Also Boca burgers and Morning Star products are great. I guess since my daughter developed those eating habits when she was so young she is really good eater now, and rarely eats meat. She still has only had Soy Milk.

I am really thinking about going back to Vegan diet, but this time I will go slow and transition so I don't fail.

Oh yea, I had digestive issues too and all of that was solved when I had a Vegan diet.

There are so many recipes and websites that you can use to find good recipes. If you do the Vegan diet the proper way you will be healthy.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I run and have been running further and faster since becoming vegan. I have completed two half marathons and next year I plan to do my first full marathon. You need to ensure that you are eating enough as its easy to not eat enough and make sure you do get lots of those pretty colours on your plate every meal.
  • healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    do veganism for a few days/ weeks to test it out:) or maybe just choose a day or two every week to stick to a vegan diet:) I'm vegan and it's amazing, and every little bit helps! good luck