Does exercising make you less depressed?

Options
Basically I am wondering if exercising on a regular bases has an effect on depression? I am typically a depressed person, well I never realized I was till recent, I've noticed that I really feel happier about myself when I work out. Like yesterday I didn't work out at all and I was really down and depressed. It's not the first time I've not worked out but was the first time I really noticed the mood change.

Replies

• zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know it definitely makes me energized and happier.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Huge difference in my personal experience. Enough that I exercise for that reason above losing weight.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, all of those feel good happy hormones are released.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yESSSS!!! A therapist I went to said that 45 min of moderate exercise each day is equal to a low dose antidepressant. that being said...dont stop taking the antidepressants without consent from your doctor!
    Also, a handful of walnuts will have a similar effect!!

Congrats on your new sunnier disposition!
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    a BIGGG YESSS !!! and my PMS isn't bad either!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    it makes me less stressed out!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not medicated lol, I have only ever been medicated for depression once.

Yes the less depressed feeling is worth enough to keep to it.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think it helps alot. I just feel better over all and I have more energy since I started exercising.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    yes yes and yes, to quote Legally Blonde, she works out, endorphins equal happy, happy people arent depressed! I can totally tell when I need to go. and my husband can also. definitely helps with stress also. the chemicals released when exercising are supposed to be the same released while having sex and I am definitely happy then!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I say yes, I feel better about myself, what I wear and how I look. I should clarify, I take the time to make sure I look good and it makes me feel good about myself.
  • RobertG86
    Options
    Its all about the Endorphins. The bodys natural feel good drug.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend told me tonight that he can tell that I am happier just in this week!! It definitely helps. Especially for me since I tend to have seasonal depression. Working out makes me feel accomplished because I am continually getting better and better!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES YES

exercise = endorphins = natural mood boosters!!! = decreased depression!!!

i have actually been able to decrease (not completely off!) my anti-depressants since i started running!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, very much so. There are plenty of studies published in medical journals to support this.

I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago. I had it under control but a stressful situation brought it back and I realized it and stress were the reason that I felt nauseous all the time. I didn't know what else to do so I worked out. Haven't looked back since :) I definitely notice a difference in mood if I go more than a couple days without it. I don't do drugs or therapy. IMO exercise is the #1 best thing you can do for all but the most extremely severe cases of depression.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    yes yes and yes, to quote Legally Blonde, she works out, endorphins equal happy, happy people arent depressed! I can totally tell when I need to go. and my husband can also. definitely helps with stress also. the chemicals released when exercising are supposed to be the same released while having sex and I am definitely happy then!

sex = best exercise ever!!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Oh yes, I think so. I can even tell the difference when I don't get up early and go work out. I don't have any energy when I go in to work, and I just feel wrong. When I get up early to work out, even though I've had less sleep, I feel better.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    All of my therapists and psychiatrists have encouraged exercise as a relief for depression. :D It's definitely known to help.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It amazed me when it first occurred to me, but I definitely can tell when I have exercised and when I haven't!! And no exercise makes for a rough, depressed day for me!! I also added omega 3 fish oil to my diet and boy has that helped!! It's so worth it to FEEL good!! Good luck to you!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

sex = best exercise ever!!
    um stupid question, how do you add that as an exercise? it isnt listed lol
  • RawkChick
    RawkChick Posts: 24 Member
    Options

"....happy people don't kill their husbands...they just don't!"

I love that movie.