Excercising Twice a day?

Options
Hello,
I was wondering does anyone on here exercise twice a day? If so is this more effective for burning fat and shedding the pounds?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    That is a bit much. 80% of weight loss is diet. Too much cardio and you are going to risk more muscle loss. Rest is good!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    That is a bit much. 80% of weight loss is diet. Too much cardio and you are going to risk more muscle loss. Rest is good!

I think there needs to be a bit more clarification on how much you are doing twice a day.

If you run for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night, you are technically working out twice a day and I don't really think 30 minutes a day is over doing it.

Don't try and push yourself too far. If you want to do half your work out in the morning and the other half at night, that works. It really is about listening to your body and what it needs. Different things work for different people. There is no magic cure/workout plan/diet plan.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    6 months a go I lost weight quickly.
    I had started to eat clean, go for a half hour brisk walk with my dog in the morning before work.
    Then a half hour in my lunch break, (I get 1 hour).
    Then another half an hour with my dog in the evening.
    It worked for me!
    ( I was tired after a while though!!)
  • goodmonster
    Options
    I like doing little random things during the day- I work pet retail so if there is a lull in people at my store I'll do random lunges while chatting, volunteer to do backstock on the heavy things like dog food bags or litter...etc.
    Then after work I'll go to the gym for mostly cardio.

If you DO find someone who exercises fully 2x daily I'll be amazed- who's got the time??
  • pennysmom1
    pennysmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, even if it's just an easier workout such as a 20-30 minute walk, and I've lost 35 lbs in about 3 months. Twice a day also helps me with that mid-afternoon slump... nothing like a good workout to get the blood moving again!

Sometimes it's nice too because if I'm craving something sweet or somewhat unhealthy, I can allow myself to eat it (in moderation of course) since I know I've earned extra calories with my workouts for the day. Not that I do that *every* day, but it's nice to have that freedom so that I never feel like I'm "dieting".
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I want to exercise twice a day, but I don't wanna shower twice a day haha my hair would not be able to handle it.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how long that you work out....and what you count as a work out....if i counted everything that i did... i would say that i exercised 6 or more times due to the fact that i walk alot at work, for 15 plus minutes....but in the end do what works best for you...good luck on your journey:bigsmile:
  • pennysmom1
    Options
    If you DO find someone who exercises fully 2x daily I'll be amazed- who's got the time??

I'm lucky enough to work from home so I can make the time. :) But I can imagine if I had tried doing this while working an office job full-time, it would probably have been tough!

One trick I have though is that I bought a cheap stationary bike (you can always find people selling them on Craigslist) and it sits in my living room. If I want to watch a tv show, I get on my bike and spend 20-30 minutes watching my show while pedaling. :)
  • pennysmom1
    Options
    I want to exercise twice a day, but I don't wanna shower twice a day haha my hair would not be able to handle it.

Oh my gosh - so true!! And the LAUNDRY... I swear I go through 3-4 changes of clothes a day. I've decided working out twice a day is not very environmentally friendly when it comes to the water used for showers & laundry!
  • missmeg1970
    missmeg1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It works for me, I walk for for 60 minutes in the morning and 60 minutes at night, I am swimming three nights a week and zumba two nights a week. I have a rest day and while I do get tired I miss it on my rest day. I know people think it is too much but it works for me...

No one else can do this for me but me

Meg xx
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I'm a bodybuilder, mom to seven kids, you make the time. Twice a day is the most effective way for me to train. I do my cardio at 5 am before anyone wakes up, home by 7:30 to wake kids and get them to school...then I go to work, I pick up my kids, bring them to the gym and then hit the weights for another 70minutes, home to cook and clean and swimming, dance, hockey..whatever, it's always best to break up cardio and weights, and two sessions of cardio in one day has never killed anyone either. Good luck with whichever route you choose.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day. I do 25-45 mins in the morning and then the same again in the evening once my husband is home and the triplets are in bed. I started off struggling to get my workout in and now I look forward to them. I run around enough during the day but those fitness workouts from biggest loser are working great for me. Maybe not hitting huge numbers on the scale but the change in my shape is clear. I give myself 2 workouts off a week. For example yesterday morning (I was babysitiing my friends twins) and this evening because I'm out of the house. I have what my Australian husband calls a "Pommie wash" in the morning which involves a wash cloth and movements a contortionist would be proud of. If I worked in an office I'd stress about not having that shower but since I spend most of my day covered in juice and playdoh I figure, who cares for now!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean. I often used to go for a swim and then do a 30 day shred later but it was killing me. I often now do a dvd and I walk or cycle to work anyway. I am on a sedentary setting so I guess technically the walk would be classed as a work out but I will only now do one purposefull work out in a day. I found that dropping the second workout has not hindered my weightloss at all. After all is is 80% diet.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally don't... as I don't have the time. I sub as a teachers aid, so I'm always waiting for the phone call to come in at like 5 or 6 am.

Heck, my trainer got me set up with a personalized program and set the weightlifting part alone to 45-60 minutes.. to which I politely told him there is no way in hell I have that much time to dedicate to lifting weights alone... the cardio and ab's time was not included in that 45 to 60.... and I'm sorry but I am not spending 70 plus minutes at the gym.. I don't have the time.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, and if you count walking as a workout then 5 times a day!
    I do insanity workout at 5am, shower, walk my dogs for 30mins, breakfast, work. Walk at lunch for 30mims, gym at 5.30pm for 1.5 hr (30mins swim). Back home, have dinner, walk the dogs. I feel great, masses of energy, and I can eat 1800 cals a day, whereas mfp would have me on 1200. My weightloss has been steady at 0.5 - 1lb a week. But I'm building muscle at the same time.
    If you want want to workout, you'll find the time. I manage with full time job, being part time student and having a husband and 2 dogs to look after. :flowerforyou:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I exercise twice a day - 21 mile ride into work, then 21 miles back.....
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I exercise twice a day - 21 mile ride into work, then 21 miles back.....

You are a legend! No comparison!!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I separate my Circuit Training and Cardio. I burn 500 calories daily and circuit training (for me) only burns 350. So a few hours after my workout I hop on the treadmill and run until I get the other 150 in.
  • kerriavr
    kerriavr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do a few days a week. I do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning and then 30 DS/weight training 3 nights a week.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day five days a week. Monday to Friday I wake up with my husband and we do a 30-40 minute video, always mixing it up...super excited I have him doing Turbo Fire with me some mornings! Then in the evenings, I go to Zumba with my daughter and sister three times a week and because I am running a half marathon in two weeks, I have also had to squeeze my runs in three times a week. I do my long runs on the weekend when I only exercise once.

Works well for me! I have lots of energy ,my weight keeps going down and most importantly, I am spending time also motivating my family to exercise when I do it with them! ♥