baking with splenda

Options
kir911
kir911 Posts: 228 Member
Just wondering what kind of luck people have had with baking with splenda....I have been hesitant to try, but, would like to make something for the holiday dessert table that I do not feel as guilty indulging in. Anyone?

Replies

• BeccaAnderton
    Options
    I've used it and never had a problem with it personally :) And I couldn't really notice a difference in taste, but if you're going by weight, you need to divide the value by 10 I believe :)
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    really interested in replies to this, have some Splenda and not sure where to start, would like to bake something yummy, but not too sinful
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know its lower in calories than sugar but I would steer clear. Its just my opinion but I think its better to have something that's naturally not so good for you in moderation from time to time than to start substituting it with a chemical so you can have it regularly.

Sugar is fattening but at least its a natural product your body can process, splenda and other sweetners are made with nasty chemicals with documented health side effects.

That's just my tuppence worth, in the end its up to each person to decide for themselves based on the information they have :-)
  • Aussieheidi
    Options
    I bake with Splenda quite a bit - and have never had a problem. Here is a good site that I get some great recipes from:

www.skinnytaste.com

Goodluck :)
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use it to sweeten things like fruit for a fruit pie for example. I know there are recipes about where you can use it but I don't think you can just substitute it into any recipe. Sugar has important functional properties in cooking - for example in uni (dietetics degree) we made sponge cakes with different variations and the low sugar variation that used splenda basically separated out - so it was like a layer of egg, a layer of goopy flour etc - yummy hahaha! So yeah, maybe look for some specific recipes or just play around a bit.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Works for some recipes, doesn't for others. For better results in baked products that require rising, use half sugar half splenda.

I used to bake a lot with splenda and apple sauce (in lieu of oil) but not anymore. You're better off eating the real stuff and fitting the calories in your daily allowance! Much more satisfying!
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    I generally stick to sugar and just allow for more calories, but I think it depends on the recipe or what you're making/baking. I used splenda once to make ice cream and it was an epic fail! It completely changed the consistency.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    To me it has a really bitter aftertaste which makes anything baked with it inedible, but my husband can't taste that. I think it varies by person. Some taste the bitterness, some don't.

Isn't that just true in life?
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Splenda do recipe books - or at least they used to. I was 8 when they published one of my recipes in their first recipe book LOL I did a straight swap for sugar for diabetic treats for my dad :laugh:
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I know its lower in calories than sugar but I would steer clear. Its just my opinion but I think its better to have something that's naturally not so good for you in moderation from time to time than to start substituting it with a chemical so you can have it regularly.

Sugar is fattening but at least its a natural product your body can process, splenda and other sweetners are made with nasty chemicals with documented health side effects.

That's just my tuppence worth, in the end its up to each person to decide for themselves based on the information they have :-)

Use a sweetener derived from sucralose...about £0.50 more expensive but better for you.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. It is a natural plant extract. I get the Stevia cup for cup and use in place of sugar in everything.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i have baked with splenda and still do. If you know the science of baking and understand that sugar in a recipe is not only for sweetness but moisture as well, then you watch what you are doing and becareful not to overbake. Either using half spelda half sugar workes or all...sometimes you have to experiment with recipes to see the better results. Using splenda in a pie or meringue you will find it thickens quicker so adjust accordingly. Being diabetic and wanting a slice of pie, cheesecake or something sweet... using splenda allows this. I have also used equal and have gotten good results.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I made a pumpkin bread that called for 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup truvia (I think) but I used splenda instead and it was just DELICIOUS
  • paulahenn
    paulahenn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The Brown Sugar Splenda blend works well
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    I use Stevia. It's all natural and tastes better to me, anyway!
  • okeewap
    Options
    Splenda is poison. Don't believe all of the hype about it being healthy. Put the words "Splenda danger" in your search engine and read some of the articles on it. I got terribly sick after using it for a few months. I finally asked myself what I had changed in my diet over the past few months that could be making me so sick and realized it was the Splenda. For one thing it depleats all of the zinc in your system. When I Googled it, I was shocked. I now use Stevia. It can be substitued for sugar in any recipe and is 0 calories.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Splenda is poison. Don't believe all of the hype about it being healthy. Put the words "Splenda danger" in your search engine and read some of the articles on it. I got terribly sick after using it for a few months. I finally asked myself what I had changed in my diet over the past few months that could be making me so sick and realized it was the Splenda. For one thing it depleats all of the zinc in your system. When I Googled it, I was shocked. I now use Stevia. It can be substitued for sugar in any recipe and is 0 calories.

I can well believe that. I made some flapjacks with it and they were literally inedible. They made me feel sick, they were bitter and gave me a headache. Stevia is illegal in the UK, so I don't have that option. I don't like sweet things much anyway, so it's not the end of the world, but I am not a splenda fan!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what kind of luck people have had with baking with splenda....I have been hesitant to try, but, would like to make something for the holiday dessert table that I do not feel as guilty indulging in. Anyone?

OH MY GOODNESS, you are missing out. They have a wonderful cobbler recipe that has HUGE portions and very low cals. Make sure you start with a splenda recipe, since when I have tried baking it into normal recipes I have had huge disasters.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. It's all natural and tastes better to me, anyway!

Stevia is pretty hard to bake with, IMO. It comes in very potent liquid form, so if you have a lot of time and money to spend testing amounts, go for it! I have never seen it in "bulk" like the big bags, just teeny packets, drops, and tablets.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Splenda makes my tummy cramp really badly though it does bake well. I would suggest trying a small amount of it in your coffee to make sure you can tolerate it first.