Gym/Weights Newbie Food Question.

Options
Okay, so.. I think this will be my last gym question :laugh:

I'm starting weights next week (assisted) I have a program written up for me by a PT. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle.

So should I be upping my protein - or how much protein should I be aiming at having? Should I up my protein every day, or just on the strength days?

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    Just make sure you eat some extra protein after every workout (even cardio). Thats what I do.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Try it and see, I lose more weight with extra protein, some people don't. In general, protein feeds muscle which burns more fat.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I generally try to get 1 gram per pound of body weight. But I am a seriously lifter and I use the free weights so I'd aim for at least 3/4 of a gram per pound of body weight. The heavier you lift the more fat you will burn and the more protein you need to refuel and repair your muscles.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    As a female, try to go for .7g of protein for every pounds of lean muscle mass. That means you do not need to be eating protein to support body fat. Ex- if you are 180 pounds at 35% body fat- then go for about 82g of protein a day. For best results, you also need to keep fats and sugars low and water intake up!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Did you trainer give you any guidelines to follow?

My personal trainer set up with my own macro goals.. and currently its 30% of my daily calorie goal is protein.. and since my goal is 1798, it works out to like 179 grams or something.

You can google this/do a forum search and you'll find lots of answers.