body fat

Options
I have never had my body fat measured so I cannot compare to how I was before!

Today at the gym I went on the machine that measures it and it was 27.8%. Seems to be almost in the good range but average so I now have an aim of getting it down!

How much weight do u have to lose to lose a bit of % of body fat??

Replies

• My BMI is 22.92 (according to www.bmi-calculator.net), & I'm trying to get down to 18%!

Keep up the good work!!
  • nikki_fro
    nikki_fro Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My BMI is around 24, I mean actual percentage of body fat
  • ilikeher
    Options
    I dont know what mine is but I was told what you eat has a lot to do with it. That probably doesnt help at all but I'd like to get mine down as well
  • nikki_fro
    Options
    yeah I am eating much better so am hoping to get it down
  • EmiliaWhite
    Options
    This is actually kind of a hard question to answer. You could (hypothetically) lose weight and have your body fat percentage go up (instead of down!), IF the weight you lose is primarily muscle loss rather than fat loss. if the weight you lose is from fat, than your body fat % will obviously decrease. Unfortunately, it's a more complicated than losing XX lbs to see an XX drop in body fat %, because the percentage is based off of the composition of your body, not your raw weight on the scale.

Hope this helps! :)
  • nikki_fro
    Options
    yeah thanks so hopefully if I am eating good foods and exercising, and losing weight slowly the body fat should go down. Might check it again in a couple of weeks
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    bmi and body fat are different things.
  • nikki_fro
    Options
    yes I know. My BMI is 24, and my body fat said 27.8%
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I want to gain muscle but maintain my current weight. I have no idea how to do this!

My BMI and coincidentally BF% are both 21.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I want to gain muscle but maintain my current weight. I have no idea how to do this!

To gain muscle you need to eat slightly above maintenance, lift heavy weights and make sure you are getting enough protein. Be warned though that you won't maintain your weight.. you will gain fat with the muscle, and thus the scale will go up. You then need to diet to lose the fat, but keep lifting weights so you keep the muscle that you built.

To OP:
    My personal trainer just did a body fat test on me, and it told me my Bmi was 22 and my bodyfat was 19.7%.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm working on reducing body fat. It is important you maintain a small deficit (0.5 lb per week or less), eat your exercise cals, lift heavy (and consistently) and eating about 1 gram of protein for every 1lb of lean body mass.
  • fteale
    Options

To gain muscle you need to eat slightly above maintenance, lift heavy weights and make sure you are getting enough protein. Be warned though that you won't maintain your weight.. you will gain fat with the muscle, and thus the scale will go up. You then need to diet to lose the fat, but keep lifting weights so you keep the muscle that you built.

To OP:
    My personal trainer just did a body fat test on me, and it told me my Bmi was 22 and my bodyfat was 19.7%.

CBA then. It's taken me 10 months of dieting to get to my ideal weight. I'm not putting it back on for the sake of a bit of muscle.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

To OP:

CBA then. It's taken me 10 months of dieting to get to my ideal weight. I'm not putting it back on for the sake of a bit of muscle.

I got down to my goal weight then switched to lifting....I'm heavier now, but my body looks better, I have a higher metabolism and I'm in a smaller size. For me looking better > a number on the scale.
  • dad106
    Options

To OP:

Tech. your not putting the weight back on. Your putting weight on in terms of muscle.. not in terms of fat. Hence why most people bulk(gain fat and muscle) and then cut(cut the fat).

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Take a look at that link.. I think it may help.
  • fteale
    Options
    I've read that a couple of times. I don't have the time nor the inclination to lift weights. I am a student, Parish councillor, and have 2 small children. I don't get to go to the gym. I think I'll stick with running and the classes I do manage to get to. I can do 30 (man) pushups straight, and with a BF% of 21 ish, it's not a dire situation.

But thank you for the link. I do appreciate your help.
  • dad106
    Options
    I've read that a couple of times. I don't have the time nor the inclination to lift weights. I am a student, Parish councillor, and have 2 small children. I don't get to go to the gym. I think I'll stick with running and the classes I do manage to get to. I can do 30 (man) pushups straight, and with a BF% of 21 ish, it's not a dire situation.

Not a problem. Glad to do what I can :)
  • kimber_av
    Options
    just a little "non health research but personal experience" stuff.

I hate doing strength training. I dont like a lot of muscles on females.
    so in order to get my body fat down

I eat a healthier diet (carefully watching my fat grams)
    lots of water to help flush flush flush
    and I do pilates and cardio.

pilates is resistence training with just yoru body or a band. works slower but I'm developing strong LEAN msucles that are eatinga way at teh fat. without seeing a lot of bulk/definition. (i'm picky i know)

but if you eat right and do a little bit of exercise- it'll go down. slowly but surely
  • fteale
    Options

Not a problem. Glad to do what I can :)

Out of interest (not for myself, for a friend), is there any way to gain muscle without fat for someone who has never had much muscle and has always been underweight? I have suggested pushups (she is worried heavy weights will hurt her back).
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    In order to answer your original question you'll have to calculate your lean body mass. From there you can do simple math and figure out how much excess fat you're carrying with you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Out of interest (not for myself, for a friend), is there any way to gain muscle without fat for someone who has never had much muscle and has always been underweight? I have suggested pushups (she is worried heavy weights will hurt her back).

It is very unlikely.
    To build muscle you're going to need ample progressive resistance, enough protein, a caloric surplus and adequate rest. Typically some fat gain occurs with this.

However, gaining fat and muscle together often results in someone looking better, especially underweight people.