Ever been made fun of for being healthy?

Options
So I have a few people in my life that make fun of me for being healthy..its so annoying. I feel like im going to kill them all one day. LOL jk. but they talk *kitten* about me exercising..about me counting calories..about my food scale....these people by the way that do it are so un healthy..they lay around most of the day..smoke..eat fast food atleast 3 times a week and never exercise. So I was just wondering am i alone in this or has anyone else ever dealt with this?

Replies

• ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My family is a lot like that. They are mostly unhealthy and overweight and when I put on a few pounds they are all excited and when I try to regain control and take the weight off they are discouraging and tell me it's inevitable because of my genetics. So far I'm proving them wrong. But it's the same if I eat a lot they judge me for overeating as well. Can't win with some people.
  • 2012Kristin
    2012Kristin Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My boss actually applauds me if I take the elevator instead of the stairs, or drive when I can walk. She takes us out for lunch and always orders me dessert, even when I'm not hungry. She KNOWS I'm trying to get in shape and lose! It's so bizarre - just because she is unhealthy she wants me to be too. Pass!!!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yep quite a lot. I've had to learn to let it go in one ear and out the other now. This is why I keep my food choices and workout talk on MFP and keep it to myself around other people. I agree, it gets real old.
  • khill2742
    Options
    LOL! No you are def not alone.
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing on a daily basis. I make a joke out of it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I just take it as good-natured teasing. I also don't talk too much about fitness to people who aren't interested in it.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    YUP and I have a bunch of people at work trying to sabotage my weight loss
  • negative187
    Options
    I get this all the time. I weigh my food, especially cereal, and always stick to serving sizes. My boyfriend always makes fun of that, telling me "that's not a real bowl of cereal" or "eat some real food". It's frustrating. He might be able to eat half a box of cereal in one go, but it sure won't do him any good in the long run!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    ^^ what rjbrowne said...i get crap for it all the time but i turn it into a joke. don't let it get to you!
  • tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your not alone, but I look at it like this...they are simply jealous and rather than gathering up their courage to ask you for help they resort to making fun of you. It's sad really. Don't let it get to you.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Every day of life in some shape or form.
    At the grocery store, the bigger people mutter and/or loudly ask if I'm starving myself because I don't have Twinkies and soda in my cart.
    At home, my aunties tell me I won't ever be able to remarry because I'm too thin and I look like a man.
    Yesterday at work, one of the customer loudly exclaimed, "Wow, what happened to you, are you sick?".
    Or If I pull out my phone to log, someone has something snarky to say about it. Or I get made fun of because I drink soy milk vs regular milk. Its like ok, I'll drink some regular milk if you don't mind me blowing up your bathroom with explosive diarrhea. :frown:
    I'm not underweight either, just very slender and kinda boyish lol. Sh itbirds!
  • kimber_av
    Options
    I deal with it at work.
    80% of the people I work with are overweight.
    I am not. and I watch what I eat, bring packed lunches, skip the catered lunches and deserts.
    They call me a health fanatic, obsessed etc.

when i'm not. I dont overly stress counting macronutrients/calories. Just try and eat healthy meals.

Oh well. I smile and nod while they all eat the catered lunches and slowly blow up.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My mom always told me when people tease me, it's cuz they like me. I'm going with this...
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. I weigh my food, especially cereal, and always stick to serving sizes. My boyfriend always makes fun of that, telling me "that's not a real bowl of cereal" or "eat some real food". It's frustrating. He might be able to eat half a box of cereal in one go, but it sure won't do him any good in the long run!

I wonder what they mean by "real food"? I get that too.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I get it every sinlg eday...comments from men, about how heavy I lift and how I embarass them in the gym..nasty comments from women, my own daughter doesn't like the muscle, she says I draw too much attention...but with that, goes the compliments from the women who I inspire, my clients who who keep coming back, and the men I date that I don't intimidate who respect what I do....takes all kinds, let it roll off you, people who are negative about your healthy living style are envious or disatisfied with their own incapabilities to be able to do it...it's all good as long as you're happy at the end of the day with your coices.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just limit, or eliminate, your exposure to those people.

If they aren't helping you get where you want to be, and have nothing to offer you... boot them.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? They're making fun of you...**for being healthy**. Why take offense to that? that's like making fun of someone for being pretty or being talented at something. Yeah, it happens, but why let it bother you? at the end of the day, they're getting fat, you're getting fit. If you let it bug you then they're getting the reaction they want. At least they're noticing that you're doing something different you know?
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    So I have a few people in my life that make fun of me for being healthy..its so annoying. I feel like im going to kill them all one day. LOL jk. but they talk *kitten* about me exercising..about me counting calories..about my food scale....these people by the way that do it are so un healthy..they lay around most of the day..smoke..eat fast food atleast 3 times a week and never exercise. So I was just wondering am i alone in this or has anyone else ever dealt with this?

OMG this is my mom 100%! I have to workout and eat healthy behind EVERYONE'S back or else they will constantly talk junk and if I slip up and eat a piece of candy one them will say,"Thats why your not losing weight!" Its like leave me alone and mind your business. This is MY body MY life and I'm the only one who can change it so back off! lol
  • xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    i agree with all of yall..but sometimes you can't help but wanna punch someone! lol I thought about starting to make fun of them for being nasty pigs lol..but i don't wanna get to there level so i just smile.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Sure.
    They call me "bugs" because I eat carrots.

When I walk by they move out of my way saying "I don't want to knock you over"
    If they complain for a snack and I offer them some nuts or carrots they usually turn it down with colorful wording.

All these things said there isn't any way I could possibly care less what these lunatics think of me.