What to do with the yolks

Options
I make a lot of egg whites to avoid the fat and calories in the yolks but feel bad about throwing the yolks away. I considered feeding them to the dog but then thought, 'if all that fat isn't good for me it most likely isn't good for her either'.

Should I just send them down the sink?

What do you do with them?

Replies

• Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I eat the yolks ~ its not that many calories and you need SOME fat in your diet :)
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've actually read that many people do give their dogs an egg yolk every day, supposedly it makes their coats very nice! I'd only do it every day if you have a healthy-weight, larger dog, maybe a few times a week for a smaller dog.

I buy egg whites in the carton just because I can't justify wasting so much of an actual egg!
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yolks are the part of the egg with the most nutrients!! At 70 Cals and egg, you're not going to bust your diet by eating the whole egg. Also, eating fat does not make you fat. Eating TOO MUCH makes you fat.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolks.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolks ~ its not that many calories and you need SOME fat in your diet :)
    me too
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try buying egg whites in a carton instead.
  • kantone999
    Options
    I do give eggs to my dog but no more than once a week. Makes her coat super shiny.

You can make an egg facial mask...tightens the skin. Also egg "shampoo" which makes YOUR hair super shiny. Just whip them with a little water and massage into wet hair. Leave for 3-5 minutes while you shower, then shampoo as normal. Great for adding body to fine hair or helping with dry, damaged hair.
  • Dezlyn67
    Dezlyn67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exactly!

Yolks are the part of the egg with the most nutrients!! At 70 Cals and egg, you're not going to bust your diet by eating the whole egg. Also, eating fat does not make you fat. Eating TOO MUCH makes you fat.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    mmm...runny yolks
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Cheese souffle! Lemon pie, yolks for the lemon pudding part. Just no meringue on top.
    Or take the little slimy white string out, give the yolk a little beating and use it as a hair mask. Just don't rinse out with super hot water or you'll have scrambled egg in your hair.

I agree with the above posters, I eat the whole egg. I'm also going to try giving yolk to the dog. He could use a little treat.
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree the whole egg is good! I eat a few each day. But to answer your question, would it make more sense to just buy egg whites in a carton? Im not sure of the cost, but if you are not eating the yolk why buy them? :)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Um, eat it? Contrary to popular beliefs, egg yolk...
    1. Is healthy
    2. Is not necessarily linked to high cholesterol; its a better source of fat for you than other foods (as always, in moderation), and also holds most of the nutrients of the egg.
    3. Has over 40% of the protein you want from the egg.
    4. Is the denser part of the egg which will assist in helping you feel fuller.

Personally, the only thing I dislike about the egg yolk is the fact that it holds most of the calories, however, considering the nutrients and density of it, I prefer to eat the yolk instead of adding another egg white. That's just me though.

Also, it's been said that egg yolk is actually good for dogs. I feed one to my min pin every now and again and it helps his coat stay healthy, shiny and soft! :)

Much Love and Alohas,
    -Ihilani Kapuniai
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat them.

But if you have really decided yolks aren't for you, they're perfectly ok for your dog in small amounts. I feed my dog a whole egg - shell included - every two or three days, and when I'm baking and only need part of the egg (whites or yolks) she gets the rest of it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    me too

me 3. Egg yolks contain most of the nutritional content of the egg - the white is just low cal protein and they have the GOOD fats in em AND they taste good (Which cannot be said of egg whites alone).

But I also drop an egg in a bowl for my cats every so often - its fine - animals are NOT humans and dietary rules for humans don't apply to them.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Here is a great tip: FREEZE THEM!
    Purchase an ice-tray specifically for food. I usually will use a yellow tray for egg yolks, green tray for herbs...

You can freeze the egg yolks for future use. No waste!!!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I buy egg whites in the carton just because I can't justify wasting so much of an actual egg!

Me too:happy:
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Totally agree with you !! Eat the whole thing and enjoy it ..:happy:
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em... nom, nom, nom
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I toss most of them in the trash because I like to save those fat calories for other stuff like meat. Mmmm...steak. Eggs are so cheap at Sam's Club it doesn't bother me to get rid of the yolk.

If I do scrambled eggs in the morning I'll do 3 or 4 whites scrambled with one whole egg & some type of meat (mmm...bacon), & other times I'll hard boil a whole bunch & snack on the whites throughout the day with sea salt & pepper. Kind of the same thing there, I'll eat mostly just the whites but I'll eat at least one whole cuz they are yummy. :bigsmile:
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolks, but...

egg yolk mixed with honey makes an 'eggcelent' hair conditioning treatment.