UK friends - help me! :)

Options
2»

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Now what can I say about Croydon... well I've only worked there the last 10yrs :laugh:

You could mention the trams, the NLA tower (a.k.a. the 50p building) near East Croydon Station, Crystal Palace football club (that's soccer!), Doughmasters (the best fast-food outlet in the world and exclusive to Croydon) Fairfield's Hall, the Clocktower Library & arts cinema, the Whitgift centre and Centrale (the two shopping malls in town) and at least if you did hook up and decided to move back to the UK, the immigration office is located in town so you wouldn't have far to travel to register as an alien :laugh:)

In then end, just be yourself and if it's meant to me, nature and love with take its course :bigsmile:
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    See the differences as part of the fun...I have some good US cyber friends and we've had great online laughs figuring out the subtleties of language issues etc - just be you!
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Isn't Kate Moss from Croydon?

Just ask him out (not to be confused with OFFERING him out, which means going outside the pub for a fight).

Have a great time with the language thing - pants/trousers, fanny (haha that still makes me laugh when respectable old American ladies go "I fell on my fanny", I am so juvenile), jam and jelly, crisps and chips, oh and for god's sake don't say nut butter. Ahem.

He'll think it's brilliant that you found out some stuff about Croydon (from the previous poster who's wearing a rubber ring in his pic) and at the very least, you'll have a good night!

And we want to know what happens. :flowerforyou:
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    What am I missing with this fanny thing? Fanny means your butt in America.....what on earth does it mean in England?
  • _SpeshK_
    Options
    OK So here's the main issue. I work for an extended stay hotel, and he is in the states for around 6 months with his company. I am the Assistant GM of the hotel...so essentially...any problems that may arise I deal with. On top of the fact that I work the reception desk 3-4 times a week so I see him often, even if it is just in-and-out type of interaction. NOW, if I ask this man on a date, and he is not interested...then that means quite a long time left to endure awkward passings by.

Atop the fact that I do not know how to interpret the man. He is generally very reserved and quiet..very meticulous and organized. Occasionally he opens up and has a laugh, but usually a very private person.

I'm torn!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    British people are into irony, do some irony.... then again that might just be my generation... everything in my generation is ironic! It either has be really bad or really good stuff.... also another tip : American Humour doesn't tend to work on British people.

Approach him wearing an old Neighbours t-shirt or something
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    What am I missing with this fanny thing? Fanny means your butt in America.....what on earth does it mean in England?

Front bottom!
  • _SpeshK_
    Options

Front bottom!

OMG! Seriously??? That's freaking hilarious!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought this was a UK post, not English specific.

I'm offended by all of this generalisation. Couldn't he be from a Muslim culture, being English and from Croydon?
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    jog on troll
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    yea jog on!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You're missing my point, my advice would be to forget where people are from and just try to get to know they guy.
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    i always find the term fanny pack hilarious..... fanny is a ladies "ahem" over here!!!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Please don't try to do irony, seriously. In my own experience the average American does not do irony in the same way as the average English person...and sarcasm, the same....just be yourself, don't try too hard and if he is interested you will work it out in the end.

Fanny is a 'vulgar' word meaning ladies bits and it is hugely amusing to us that Americans use it to mean bum lol

My Husband is Canadian, as i mentioned and he finds our humour difficult sometimes, he also finds cultural references are difficult for him, we have a similar language, if we didn't we would all be less surprised at the differences.