workout before or after breakfast?

Options
I am going to start doing my workouts in the morning before work so that they actually get done, my question is should I eat breakfast before I do my workout or after? I have heard conflicting views on both sides and would like to have some opinions. I would only have about 15 minutes between doing one and the other. Thanks :)

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I think you will have to try both and see what works for you. Personally I cant eat, I start to feel sick. Sometimes I will have just a piece of string cheese or some almonds before if I know I am going to have a big burn.
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I worked out about a half hour after eating breakfast and I felt great! It's really up to you and how you feel if you do it before or after breakfast :)
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like to eat something before my early morning workouts, but something small like an apple or a granola bar.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Agreed, try it and see. When I used to run in the mornings, I didn't need to eat beforehand. But if I'm doing strength work, I get dizzy if I don't have anything, so I grab a slice of toast with peanut butter, or a banana.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If I eat something heavy like a bowl of oatmeal, I wait 30-60 minutes. Something light, though, like toast with pb, I can workout immediately. I think it also depends on how intense your workout is going to be.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I work out before going to the gym, I find it works best that way for me....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I usually workout before breakfast because i feel lighter my belly isn't full of food or drinks and i seem to not eat as much when i am finished. Thou i do workout in the evenings after I eat dinner..
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym about 30 mins after breakfast.
    I have to eat before going to the gym or I get light headed
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i cannot stomach food before working out so i do the workout then i eat within half an hour of working out, what i have been doing recently before working out is drinking a warm blue tea i use puer or oolong i read some where that by drinking something warm you get a better burn now im not 100% sure of that but i do sweat alot more :-) id try both ways on different days and see what works for you x
  • Absolutely AFTER breakfast! Your body needs fuel to power through a good workout. Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism; since metabolism is a natural fat burner, you'll burn more fat if you workout after breakfast.

CHeck out my blog entitled "Morning v. Night Workout" for more info on this topic! Good luck!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I prefer early morning for long workout straight out of bed and eat after.. I seem to work up more of a sweat and feel like I've burned more as using fat stores for the energy for session (2 -2 and half hours) rather than what I've just eaten.
  • kcarpen3
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast. I make it before the gym and drink about 1/3-1/2 of it, work out, then drink the rest of it.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world, probably before. But the world is not ideal and people differ. I wait about an hour after breakfast and sometimes have to wait until later. I'm not the type to jump out of bed and exercise. I don't think it really matters all that much.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think you will have to try both and see what works for you. Personally I cant eat, I start to feel sick. Sometimes I will have just a piece of string cheese or some almonds before if I know I am going to have a big burn.

I agree, try both and see what feels best. I'm just the opposite I have to eat a little something before a workout or I start to feel sick. But something like a banana is enough, then I'll have oatmeal with honey and peanut butter after.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    For the most part it's personal preference. If you can get a good workout in without eating, I think this would likely be the more convenient approach, but you should do what you enjoy most in this case. That's my opinion.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before a workout- it makes me feel sick so I don't work as hard.
    I also know if I don't get out of bed and get right to it, then it won't happen.