too much protein

Options
Hi

My Name is Dave.

This is my first week on my fitness pal ,
I m just wondering can anyone help me .

every day i ve been under the calories , fat , and carbs , but my protein is often over .

is this a problem.

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    In a word, no.
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine is too I just ignore it. I think Cals/Fat/Carbs is what is most important. If your not losing you might look into the sodium esp if you are female. Just my opinion though =)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I hear it can cause you to grow hair on your tounge.
  • kustrat
    Options
    Dave,

Depends on your goals. If you're weight lifting and wanting to put on muscle, extra protein can be a good thing. Of course, too much protein over the long run can be detrimental to your kidneys. Try using oatmeal with raisins to bulk up the calories without too much protein. Watch out for milk, lots of protein there.

TK
  • ceejay3101
    ceejay3101 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine is the opposite my protein is low and my carbs are usually higher, I wouldnt worry to much unless you are way over, I have been following my diet since July and eaten similar foods to what I eat now with no ill effects in fact much healthier than I was then and 37lbs lighter
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave,

easiest way for me to say this is take your body weight (lets say 200 lbs) and aim for half of that in grams of protein. So if you are 200 pounds, you could eat 100 grams of protein each day and be just fine. Over or under that amount is ok, too. MFP default setting is a bit on the lower side of protein suggested amount, so if you eat more than MFP allows, no worries.
  • Dstny1957
    Dstny1957 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way. I also wondered why my food board only has calories, protein, fat, and carbs, and others have sodium & fiber. How do you go about getting those categories????
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fat, sodium etc. are maximums that you should try not to go over.
    Protein, on the other hand, is a minimum that you should try to meet or exceed. You want that number to be red each day.
    Sounds like you're doing the right thing without even knowing it! :happy:

Protein is the exception because it's not just fuel. It can be burned for energy, yes, so it counts as "calories." But it's also used to build and repair muscle tissues, and the amino acids from protein are also a vital part of the fat-burning chemical reaction.

The MFP guidelines for protein come from the amount that a normal person needs in order to sustain his/her body. But if you're working out, or if you're trying to lose weight, most people find that it's helpful to increase their ratio of protein. If you're working your muscles or burning fat, your body will be wanting more protein than usual.

A lot of weight-loss doctors (including mine) recommend 1g of protein for every 1lb you weigh. I started this journey at 300lb, so I ate 300g protein every day. Hard to do, but it has worked great for me.

Remember that the guidelines here are just that: guidelines. Not hard & fast rules. Everyone's body & metabolism is different. So don't be afraid to tweak the program to meet your needs.
    Good luck!
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Settings- Diary Settings
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Of course, too much protein over the long run can be detrimental to your kidneys.
    This is a myth / misunderstanding.
    Yes, protein makes your kidneys work harder. But not so hard that it's a problem... it's the kidneys' job! The exception is if you have previously damaged or weak kidneys in the first place.
    It's like saying that strenuous cardio exercise causes heart failure: well, yes, if your heart isn't healthy to start with, then strenuous exercise can trigger a heart attack. But if your heart is healthy, exercise certainly does not cause heart failure.

My doctor has been treating diabetes, insulin resistance, and other related conditions using a low-carb, high-protein diet for almost 20 years now. And these patients that have been in ketosis for a decade or more, getting most of their calories from protein/fat, are perfectly healthy and do not have any kidney or liver problems.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here is a video on protein and muscle building. The really short version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gQqKzs5Vw

Here is an hour-ish lecture on high protein diets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRgMM-OMnz0

If you think you need protein to be strong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwmluSn_T0
  • toffee44
    Options
    thanks for your help everyone

:smile:
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    no , it's not . Actually this is what I am trying to get to:)
    nice job- you are going to lose weight but not muscle mass.
    good luck.
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Are you joking?
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sorry that was a statement not a question lol
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    omg! that's so funny ) LOL!
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dave,

Of course, too much protein over the long run can be detrimental to your kidneys.

True. Both of my doctors told me this. If you are in the normal weight range, you'll be ok but if you are severely overweight, your kidneys are already working very hard and you don't want to push it until you are in better shape.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Depends on where you are getting your protein from ; P