Foods at a Sporting Event?

Options
Hello all,

I'm taking my husband to a basketball playoff game tonight for his birthday! It should be fun, but I have no idea what I can eat there that is okay. Any suggestions? I know I'll have at least a couple of beers so there goes all my calories and my money! I've gotta eat something.....

Replies

• lnwallace
    lnwallace Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm taking my husband to a basketball playoff game tonight for his birthday! It should be fun, but I have no idea what I can eat there that is okay. Any suggestions? I know I'll have at least a couple of beers so there goes all my calories and my money! I've gotta eat something.....
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    eat before u go and stick to 1-2 beers
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    ok so ur the best wife ever-my husband has been drolling over these playoff games since they started and he would LOVE to go!

I like the suggestion of eating before you go. But if you get the munchies, try popcorn. It may be your safest bet. Have fun! :bigsmile:
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    Maybe a soft pretzel (plain)? Or smuggle some gummy bears in your purse to snack on. If you're looking for more of a meal there, see if you can find a place that has a grilled chicken sandwich and then order it without sauce. Popcorn at places like that can be pretty dangerous - like the stuff at the movie theaters, it's usually soaked in butter and salt.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I say smuggle your own snack in and eat before you go. What do you like to eat with beer that is low cal? That's what I would put in my purse! :smile:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I've worked arena concession stands - the popcorn IS soaked with butter and salt! I agree that your best bet is to eat beforehand, and that your best choices of food there are a plain pretzel or grilled chicken. The club level tends to have a full-on restaurant with plenty of healthy choices, if you have access to the club level. And check out the arena's policy on bringing in food; some are actually okay with it, and then you can make yourself a great little to-go meal!
  • hartrunner
    Options
    I'm thinking your best bet would be to have a hamburger (NO cheese! or gross topings) That way you get a bit of protein to fill you up, and (after one or two beers when your self control dips) you wont get the munchis and scarf down some snacks when you get home!
    Or, do what i do and sneak sandwiches or wraps in your purse! It's healthy and MUCH cheaper! have fun!
    P.S. Get all your beer from the top, that way you can burn some calories running up and down the stairs!!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    definitely eat before you go - drink water while there even if you have to have a beer. If you are craving a snack a pretzel is about the lowest fat/cal that you'll find.
  • lnwallace
    lnwallace Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm already feeling better about it and know that I can control it!

Go Nuggets!