Does anyone on MFP meditate?

Options
2»

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    TM, learned it when i was a teenager, have started back up again trying to reduce stress level.
  • lekelly1
    Options
    I practice Transcendental Meditation (TM). :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of years, on and off, I've studied or read about Insight Meditation, a from of mindfulness practice. I've resumed meditating daily; I start and then break off for some reason.

It has many benefits and I think it is a practice that is complementary to weight loss efforts. A lot of weight loss isn't about eating, but about whatever it is that's going on in your mind that makes you eat unhealthily, or just too much. Mindfulness teaches the practitioner to train the mind.

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting, and mindfulness is very helpful in allowing me to retain focus and control.

If someone started a group here, I would join it.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    WOW! Awesome that so many people meditate---or use prayer---to relieve stress and relax, or for other reasons.

I meditate when I need to. Usually if I get really upset over something stupid, or if I get a headache or migraine. I've found that it takes away the pain and leaves me feeling refreshed and relaxed!

I thought about being changing my religion, but after much research I decided not to lol!

I did however read this book and enjoyed it very much. It put things into perspective for me.
    You-Are-Here-Hanh-Thich-Nhat.jpg

I'm currently reading this book, and have liked it so far:
    41Iu0PgTmoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I found a quote in this ^^^ book that I plan to use for the rest of my LIFE!

"Do everything with a mind that lets go. Don't accept praise or gain or anything else. If you let go a little you will have a little peace; if you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace; if you let go completely you will have complete peace."

-Achaan Chah

I took a free Introduction to Meditation class offered by this group. You can sign up for the next class, and listen to some audio feeds or read transcripts that are posted. www.audiodharma.org.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Nope. I got caught up in some spiritual group thing that almost broke my head. I left it all behind and my head has never been clearer!

Having said that, sitting quietly and focusing on your breath is great in times of stress.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Nope. I got caught up in some spiritual group thing that almost broke my head. I left it all behind and my head has never been clearer!

Having said that, sitting quietly and focusing on your breath is great in times of stress.

Sorry to hear that. None of the organizations or teachers I've encountered has been like that. The mindfulness exercises they teach often do reduce stress, although there's more to it than that.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I think I REALLY need it!!

This!
  • Martin_Kaine
    Options
    I meditate several times a day, usually at work. It helps me focus. It gives me time to think, but if I do it right, it helps me not to think. Over time I have actually been able to quiet my mind. There's a lot of random noise in my head. When I was younger I self medicated with alcohol, weed, opiates, LSD, to either enhance or tone down all that randomness, but I have only been able to silence it through meditation.

I meditate for about 30 minutes when I first boot up my computer in the morning. Then I usually meditate for an hour or so around 10am, then another hour after lunch, then about 2pm, and then one more time when I get home. I used to call it "spacing out" but I discovered that I felt better about myself and less guilty about not working if I referred to it as "meditation".
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I meditate several times a day, usually at work. It helps me focus. It gives me time to think, but if I do it right, it helps me not to think. Over time I have actually been able to quiet my mind. There's a lot of random noise in my head. When I was younger I self medicated with alcohol, weed, opiates, LSD, to either enhance or tone down all that randomness, but I have only been able to silence it through meditation.

I meditate for about 30 minutes when I first boot up my computer in the morning. Then I usually meditate for an hour or so around 10am, then another hour after lunch, then about 2pm, and then one more time when I get home. I used to call it "spacing out" but I discovered that I felt better about myself and less guilty about not working if I referred to it as "meditation".

Interesting. For me, just getting in 30 mins. of guided med.is hard. In the past I've done as much as 15 minutes on my own. I was told to build up slowly.