Help with asparagus and butternut squash

Options
I just got back from grocery shopping and bought some aspargus and butternut squash. Only problem, I have no idea what to do with them! Lol! Anybody have any tasty recipes for either of these or even just some simple ideas? Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of oven roasted asparagus. Trim stems, single layer on baking sheet, drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle some salt and pepper! I like them crunchy so I probably only leave in for 10 minutes, but it depends also on how big the spears are.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I steam my asparagus and just sprinkle it with some salt and pepper, and maybe a spritz of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. It's delicious if you sautee it with some onions, peppers, and tomatoes in a little bit of olive oil and some seasoning (again, I keep it pretty simple with just salt and pepper).
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is a really good recipe for Butternut squash. I have made it twice. It's really yummy.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Maple-Butternut-Squash/Detail.aspx?prop31=6
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of oven roasted asparagus. Trim stems, single layer on baking sheet, drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle some salt and pepper! I like them crunchy so I probably only leave in for 10 minutes, but it depends also on how big the spears are.

LOVE to just roast the asparagus!! My favorite way to have it!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    We bake our butternut squash for about 40 minutes with the rind down. We put a little butter, cinnamon and brown sugar in the bowl while cooking. Yummy.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love both on the barbeque. Asparagus I drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Very yummy with some parmesan curls on it when you take it off the grill! Squash I cube and toss with olive oil, garlic and onion powder, thyme and cayenne pepper then I put it in a bbq basket or skewer it. You could also do sweet squash and toss with oil, brown sugar and cinnamon.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    This is for the squash
    Heat oven to 425*
    Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil
    Cut a 20 oz package of peeled butternut squash chunks into 1 inch pieces. (I used fresh)
    Combine 1 Tbsp each Honey, Olive Oil and balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
    Toss squash in mixture and spread evenly on foil sheet and roast 25 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Stir twice during baking
  • charlotte3176
    charlotte3176 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Exactly how I like to eat asparagus.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I cut my aspargus into 1" tips, steam it and then toss is with olive oil and garlic. I mix my butternut squash with sugar-free syrup (2 tbsp), some salt and garlic and bake it until done.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Asparagus I just saute in a pan till tender and put some vinaigrette on it. The balsamic fig evoo one is really good on it, or sometimes a touch of butter and splash of OJ.

Butternut squash makes a great soup, or you can just cut it and roast it cut side up, with a touch of butter or evoo. then a bit of salt, or you can add other seasonings.

Ven
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to prepare butternut squash is simply to split it down the middle, removed the seeds and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for an hour or so. Scoop out the deliciousness and eat it just as is or add whatever seasoning you like. You can also take the insides and blend them up with some milk (or cream) and spices (such as curry) and make a super easy soup.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    ohhh oven roasted asparagus is fantastic, also I like to use it in risotto. Yummm... I love butternut squash diced up peeled and pan saute with some evoo and salt and pepper and some ginger. MMMM
  • az82
    az82 Posts: 152
    Options
    butternut squash + sage is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Roast the squash and then peel and cube it. In a skillet melt about a teaspoon of butter, sautee some garlic and red onion and sage. Add cubed butterbut squash and mix it around. AMAZING.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    We do a little evoo & lemon pepper on the asparagus and quickly saute it so it stays crisp.
  • copswife4148
    Options
    Awesome ideas everyone! Can't wait until tomorrow when I can try out some of those!! I'm hungry just thinking about it...Lol!
  • davessweets
    Options
    I boil my butternut squash. Then when ready i mash it with a little bit of butter then add brown sugar to sweeten it. I never touched squash til I tasted it this way..sooo good.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Aspargus!
    Put the kettle on to boil.
    cut asparagus into 1" lengths.
    Drop into boiling water.
    remove after 3 mins with a slotted spoon
    heat pan,melt butter, add minced garlic
    throw in asparagus for a minute
    salt and pepper.

that's it -
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just got back from grocery shopping and bought some aspargus and butternut squash. Only problem, I have no idea what to do with them! Lol! Anybody have any tasty recipes for either of these or even just some simple ideas? Thanks a bunch!

I love to grill my asparagus! It is so delish that way!! I just toss some seasonings on them and sometime marinate in something light or FF. I put in some mushrooms, onions, peppers, ect. and then toss with some FF feta cheese. I have grilled the squash as well just not as often and it is just as good or saute' them and do the same as the above.