nsv :D / running success stories?

i just ran five miles in under an hour
i thought i was going to die but i just pushed through!
i ran my first 5k november 5th and i'm really getting into running and i'm proud of myself!
i want to hear other people's success stories with running!
<3 thanks for the support

Replies

• Yay I'm also a lover of running:))))Great accomplishment!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    My NSV today, I went grocery shopping at Costco. Those of you who shop there know on Saturdays they offer all sorts of food samples, most not very healthy. I ate 1 square of cheddar cheese, and walked right past all the rest! I've never been able to do that before!

EDIT: Ooops, this is NSV is about running, I'm sorry!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    !! congrats on your first 5k!!

I started running in September on/off and seriously thought I was going to DIE when I ran for 1 or 2 minutes straight!! But I just kept pushing through because I knew I wanted to be a runner... i was surprised at how much i improved in such little time!

AND TODAY... I ran for 1 hour and 40 minutes!! which was a total of 7.32 miles! << that is only with starting to run two months ago!! I still cannot believe it!! (I did have a few 30 second walking breaks during that workout today!)

and i LOVE running now!! I haven't done any races yet, but soon I want to start entering races and when I get comfortable and want a challenge.. then i'll start to enter races and train for marathons and stuff!!! :D
  • GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! What's next!!?? lol......There is nothing like the feeling of hitting those endurance running goals.

I remember my first "double digit" 10 mile run-that was awesome! When I started running I ran about 12 minute miles. I was training for a race last year and running mile after mile and I could never beat a 10 minute mile. It drove me crazy!!!!!!! I started to think it would never happen but YES! I did break the 10 minute barrier and I was so psyched. Now I can run 9 minute miles (that's sort of my tempo pace) and once an 8 minute mile. WHOOT!
    i'm thinking about a 15k!! i did my 5k at a 10:45 pace which was great but today i was taking it slow because i knew i was going to so far! i think my fastest mile is around 9:25 but there's no way i can keep that pace haha at least not now. i'm going to paris in january until march so i am thinking about doing another race when i come back...either a 15 or a 5k haha :D
  • !! congrats on your first 5k!!

I started running in September on/off and seriously thought I was going to DIE when I ran for 1 or 2 minutes straight!! But I just kept pushing through because I knew I wanted to be a runner... i was surprised at how much i improved in such little time!

AND TODAY... I ran for 1 hour and 40 minutes!! which was a total of 7.32 miles! << that is only with starting to run two months ago!! I still cannot believe it!! (I did have a few 30 second walking breaks during that workout today!)

and i LOVE running now!! I haven't done any races yet, but soon I want to start entering races and when I get comfortable and want a challenge.. then i'll start to enter races and train for marathons and stuff!!! :D
    omg so long!! that's really good though haha congrats :D
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    I have not gotten up to running so far on my 3rd journey to lose weight. Last year I ran for 2 straight hours while only stopping to fill up water bottles twice. I made it 10.65 mile with an average pace per mile of 11:14. I hope to get back up to that in early spring.
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    When I first tried to run I couldn't run a couple of blocks.I was sad, depressed, and out of breath. In October, a little over a year later I finished a 12 mile run :)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Congrats on your run!

Last Sunday I ran a metric marathon (26.2 km / 16.2 miles) in 2 hours & 26 minutes, which is super fast for me (but not so super fast for the 161 people who finished ahead of me!). :laugh:
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    BTW, contrats on the accomplishment.
  • Congrats on your run!

Last Sunday I ran a metric marathon (26.2 km / 16.2 miles) in 2 hours & 26 minutes, which is super fast for me (but not so super fast for the 161 people who finished ahead of me!). :laugh:
    it's not about them it's about you!! it was hard for me to accept that when i first started running. i'm extremely slow due to smoking cigarettes for so long and having messed up joints from rugby haha but i still push through! that's what's important :D congrats though that's amazing
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Congrats on your run!

it's not about them it's about you!! it was hard for me to accept that when i first started running. i'm extremely slow due to smoking cigarettes for so long and having messed up joints from rugby haha but i still push through! that's what's important :D congrats though that's amazing

Thanks! I comforted myself by looking at my age group ranking (10th for 35-39 year olds)... sounds better than 162nd!

I've got my first marathon coming up in 7 weeks from tomorrow, so would love to keep in touch with other runners currently training for their goals!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    i just ran five miles in under an hour
    i thought i was going to die but i just pushed through!
    i ran my first 5k november 5th and i'm really getting into running and i'm proud of myself!
    i want to hear other people's success stories with running!
    <3 thanks for the support

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO! Way to go!

In 10 months, I have gone from not being able to run AT ALL (I tried), and "just" walking at 23 min/mile to running 13 minute miles (at intervals of 3 minute run, 1 minute walk). I've lost enough weight now and increased my general fitness enough to start working on "running through". Hooray! :happy:

Runners, friend me!
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Running honestly saved my life errr.... keeping me from gaining more weight. Started off with this mentality, "run 5 miles, it's ok to eat a burger" Then after a month I got tired of eating fatty foods. I started using nike+ to track my record and so far I'm at around 430miles since I started back in june. I was doing 11-12 min miles up to 5 miles now I'm hovering over 9:50-10:05.

Glad to see fellow runners! Keep it up I have a 10k in thanksgiving
  • Although I was not heavy in high school, I was out of shape and refused to run the mile in gym class. Now, 22 years old, I am prepping to run my first 5k on Thanksgiving Day!
  • Sooznine
    Sooznine Posts: 29 Member
    When i started this 'thing' in April, i decided to give running another try... i was never athletic in high school- couldn't run a mile then... not that i was heavy, i just couldn't run (or so i thought). I started C25K in May. One of my long time friends is an AVID runner and thought it would be great if we could finally run together-- she was running a race at the end of October. BUT, it was a 10K... HA! Like i could do that?! I was barely making it through the first weeks of C25K where you're walking half the time! I said i would pass on that one and i signed up for a 5K a few weeks before that race. SOOO, in the meantime, i ran and ran and ran... and HOLY CRAP, i started doing ok. I'm not fast, but i'm going... longer and longer... I decided i WOULD do the 10K, too. And i DID. I ran my first 5K and then 3 weeks later i ran the 10K. :-) I plan to train this winter and next May... HALF MARATHON.

And some day.... MARATHON.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    I love running. I love the feeling of crossing the finish line after a hard run at a race. I never thought of myself as an endurance runner, but then last year I started in a beginning group for a half marathon. I could walk a 5k in under an hour at that point - but run a half??? Well, I ended up completing that first group and doing a run/walk for two half marathons within a 20 week training program. Now, it's a year later and I've completed 4 half's... and it all started with just walking a 5k. I utilize the run/walk method and like to vary my intervals.

If I can do it, anyone can!

...I'm now a pace leader of the same beginner group that I was once a member of. Runners are the best friends out there... the nicest people, and accepting of anyone regardless of their starting point in the program.

...I plan on pace leading again in our January training program my beginner half group - continue to do so through 2012 - my goal is to get to my "goal weight", then train for a full marathon to run in 2013 =)
  • miss_p90x
    miss_p90x Posts: 97 Member
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!