If you have a memebership at a gym then please..

Options

Replies

• aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    i am lucky, my workplace offers us what is called a "fitness passport", this allows me to be able to access a LARGE number of gyms within a 60km radius, I can also access most public swimming pools too. For only $8.25AU per week.

Its great, as it doesnt matter where i am I can access a gym, i can also choose classes at gyms that are in time slots that suit ME & with the swimming pools included, I can really change up my exercises alot, for a big variety at no extra cost!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    £50 a month at Fitness First in London.

Yep, mine is fitness first too. Forgot to mention that doesn't include a pool.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    i have a gym membership =), for a month its cost me £35 i can go whenever i want too. soo i go about 3 or 4 times a weeek and get my moneys worth! as its normally £4.80 each time we want to go. a membership works out soo much cheaper!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Not sure what country you're in so not sure if this is useful, but £17.95 for a year, 24/7 including classes. Corporate meant that I saved the admin fee, but if you work for a large company you may get a decent corporate membership, always worth telling them where else you've looked and your budget I find...

I should say also - this is a no frills (I don't need frills) gym - but the downside is no pool, which I would like but I'm on a budget and you can't have it all :-) £19.99 per month without 12 month commitment.

That's really good though to not have a commitment! Organising to get out of a fitness first contract even at the end of the year is a nightmare haha! Plus, I've had to work (and therefore live during the week) in lots of areas where there wasn't a fitness first close by (they always put them in awkward places in towns where everybody, except me, drives!). So yeah, I've paid 2 years of ridiculous gym membership for about 60 gym visits!
  • mandaglam
    Options
    i just re-signed w/24hourfitness. i paid $400 for 3 years.
  • december8teen
    Options
    AUD$41 a month in my uni's gym. No pool, no sauna. I can choose from either going to the main gym or classes but not both. Sounds so much more costly as compared to you guys. :(
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-5497199
  • shunta864
    Options
    I also have planet fitness. Love it. I pay $20 a month with no sign up fee and I can cancel at anytime for any reason if i don't like it. For the $20 I get a trainer if i want it, half off drinks, tanning, I can bring a friend, and can use the awesome massage chairs. Pretty good deal to me.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    A good deal will depend on what exactly you need. As you've seen from other posts, there are several cheap options for gyms, but if you're into strength training for example, the cheap gyms may have cheap or insufficient equipment.

My family membership is $112/mo, but assuming my husband & I both go 12 times a month that comes down to $72. It has EVERYTHING...pools, waterslide, sauna, hot tub, gyms, rock wall, indoor track, cardio machines, trainers, & an excellent free weights area, which is what I use the most there.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think it is best if you visit the gyms in your area to see what they have available that YOU are interested in and what the costs are. It doesn't really help you much to know what we have and pay for it.
    I would only suggest you do not do a long term committment (5 yrs for X $$) but do a pay as you go monthly plan. You may end up not liking that gym and would want an easy out.

For what it is worth, we use the YMCA for $80/mth family membership. 2 pools, hot tub, steam & sauna, child care, before and after school care, climbing wall, gym, different classes every hour (zumba, pilates, yoga, spinning, etc), plenty of circuit training machines, weights, personal trainer available for nominal extra fee, a Subway restaurant for an occasional post workout sub for dinner. We also have a registered physical therapist and nutritionist.

Don't forget to check out the cleanliness, some gyms are filthy so check on the locker room, showers, etc.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    My gym is $19 a month that includes childcare and access to all the classes they have... and i think there was a $150 sign up fee. Nice gym but I wish it had a pool

SO jealous. I wish I could find a gym that cheap with daycare.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness
    $20/month.
    No start-up fee.
    Includes the 24-hour gym, access to all PF gyms, and tanning. :)

Can't beat it, in my opinion.
    All it's missing is daycare!!
  • kristenherrera
    kristenherrera Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got my gym membership for $29 a month through my insurance, if you happen to have Blue Cross insurance it's a great deal to look into, it's called the Fitness Program. For the $29 a month I can go to any 24 hour fitness, Golds, and several locally owned gyms like Curves and Snap fitness
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Check in with your health policy to see if you qualify for any discounts before signing up. My gym membership is covered by my employer. Without that coverage, it would be about $50/month. It's at a local chain of health clubs that offer racquetball, classes, swimming, etc.

Always look at your goals and how that gym can meet them, with the following:

1. Does this gym offer a variety of both cardio and weightlifting equipment to meet my needs?
    2. What are the hours?
    3. What is the gym like at peak times - is it impossible to get on the equipment?
    4. Is it convenient to where I live or work?

Some gyms are a bargain in price, but may not meet everyone's needs - Planet Fitness comes to mind. Great if you're looking for mainly cardio, but generally a bad idea if you're looking for a nice weight room.
  • DanaM810
    DanaM810 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Go to a gym that has classes & a lot of them. I used to have gym memberships & never use the classes. It made it hard sometimes for me to find the motivation to go. You can only do so much treadmill & elliptical for cardio. Once I signed up at LA Fitness, I started going to the classes and became hooked. I lost about 40 pounds in 2 months by going to step class everyday (one of the best, most fun cardios ever) and bodyworks (for toning). To me, it made all the difference. You pick a class and you know you'll be at the gym at that time. There's no pushing it back...a class starts when it starts. And there's a real feeling of camaraderie amongst everyone in a class all working out together...you see the same faces in every class and you'll all on the same team. Just my personal experience. I pay about $30 a month. I can go to any LA Fitness in Florida, all the classes are included... Some of my friends pay around $40. Just depends on the deal they have running. They are like car salesman so they're not going to give you the cheapest price first. Keep walking away until they give you a better price. If you can pay around $30 a month instead of $40, that's about the best you can do. Keep in mind, sometimes it's better to pay the initiation fee and have a lower monthly payment...you save over the long run. Hope this helps.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Around 60/mo for the family at the Y. I did Delong to a 24hr gym, no saunas, whirlpools or pools, just weights and showers. 24 to join and 24 a month. I think most big chains in the area are 19-30 a month.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I paid $400 for the year. Honestly though, location and convenience is more important to me than cost. If the $15/month gym is 20 minutes outside of your daily routine you'll make excuses not to go. If there is a gym you pass all the time, I'd try that one first. It is a lot harder to talk yourself out of going when you're going to be driving right past it anyway and for me, the hardest part is getting there. Good luck!
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I pay $70 @ Crunch... I think it is worth it because they have tons of amazing classes that make working out fun... like dance classes, weird things like surfboarding (simulated), fighting, just basically everything you can imagine. Their gyms are always clean and nice. I have been a member at cheap gyms before, and I usually end up not going, but that's just me.
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    Gold's gym
    Weights Training + Exercise Machines+ unlimited tanning + unlimited massages= $19.99/mth
  • bookdame
    Options
    In California - I pay 34.99 a month for 24hour fitness. I can also visit most of their other gyms. $100 sign up.

I also had a membership at a smaller rock climbing gym before $69 a month. It was obviously much pricier, but its was clean, the crowd wasn't too "meet-markety" and the best thing is there was ROCK CLIMBING!! in addition to classes, a weight room and some cardio machines.