This is why I started strength training with HEAVY weights a

Options
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/thecrossfitchronicles/Screenshot2011-11-20at54410AM.png
Because of this photo above.

In June I ran my second half marathon, and in September I completed my first full marathon; I had been training since April (mind you, I only completed my runs and didn't do my cross-training.) Eating a reasonable diet of 1700-2200 calories a day of real food (meat, veggies, fruits, some grains), I still wasn't pleased with how I looked. How was it that I was running a minimum of 20 miles a week - more like 40 miles a week in the latter summer months, and still had 30% body fat, and a rather chubby tummy?

I started to research. In early August I found this: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
I decided I wanted to look like the women on the right. Not the left.

Short of continuing my high cardio routine and cutting calories back a lot, there was nothing I could do. And still, even that would only produce results like the woman on the left. Let's be clear: I am not bashing cardio. I love running, and in fact plan to keep with the one marathon a year plan. I just realized I was missing a massive piece of the puzzle. I needed to lift, and lift heavy. I had tried high reps at lower weights in college, and saw no results.

I won't repeat the article - but I do HIGHLY recommend it. I was like 99% of women wanting to get a good body. I watched calories and cardio-ed my little butt off. I saw a degree of results, but ultimately I was frustrated. That same week in August I joined a gym that would facilitate the type of exercise I wanted to do. I looked around that first day and saw the women who had been working out there for awhile. They looked fantastic. (As a side note, I realize there are women with higher levels of testosterone who will build muscle in a fashion more similar to a man - and while I know you exist, I also think it's worth nothing this isn't the majority of women.)

I started lifting heavy, because I wanted to look like the woman on the right. The woman whose body looks healthy and slender and strong. The body that we think we can only have in our teens and 20s if we're lucky, because we still have high metabolism. (Note: This "high metabolism" is from the muscles we built up in our childhood and teens from being active, before our sedentary jobs. We can still benefit from these muscles for a few years, because muscles don't immediately atrophy.)

So to women who have been diligently counting their calories, and running and elliptical-ing and treadmill-ing and zumba-ing our little tails off, I'm not saying to STOP doing your hard work and exercise - but maybe consider trying something new. Do some research and add some strength training to the routine. I've never seen results in my body like I have from it :)

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Word.

I don't have anything constructive to add, just that I completely and 100% agree.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I need to dig out the pictures of me from when I lost weight with just diet and compare them to now...
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Amen!! My body looks better now since I started lifting heavy!! I wish more women would come to this realization. Better bodies are crafted in the weight room.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • badtheory
    badtheory Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    absolutely! when i was in my teens, i was carrying an extra 20lbs, and i ALWAYS claimed to be chubby because of my "slow metabolism." After I starting working (cardio AND strength training,) I realized that my "slow metabolism" was actually just no muscle.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yup!

This is why I started with weights and cardio from day one.. So that I would be firm instead of saggy when I finished :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hell yes.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in lifting heavy, but good job for you. Keep up the good work.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    awesome article, great information that applies for both men and women. the results from strength training are undeniable, and very beneficial for all kinds of lifestyles.
  • tarpex
    tarpex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This applies to everyone! Not just ladies, by the way :)

On your journey to lose fat, doing only cardio will be a tough and long one. And also, in my modest opinion, if you look at your body as a furnace - the bigger the furnace, the bigger the fuel burn. In this context, the furnace is muscle!

Basically the more lean, muscle tissue you have, the more you're going to burn by default. You'll be burning up to 30% more doing nothing with a strong muscle base compared to the guy / gal who's only sweating his/her's *kitten* off every day with cardio.
    While the cardio component is an absolute must to any holistic approach to fat loss, strength training shouldn't be neglected.

Especially for the ladies! Many of them are scared of the female bodybuilder look, which honestly, isn't in the vast majority's wish book. However, women by default do not have enough testosterone in their bodies naturally to allow for such huge muscle growth. Similarly, you won't need 50+ lbs dumbbells for curls / presses and such, you'd do just fine with 15's in the 12-15 rep range.

You'll still build a lot of lean muscle tissue which is again, a furnace in which calories burn like the devil. And what's not to love about the fact, that in say 2 months, you can add a snack to your day and knowing your muscles will "eat it up like nothing" :)
    You'll naturally get a bit more hungry, yet you'll have much more energy, and by god, it's the only real way to get that sexy toned look. Just doing cardio without any strength training will drop you fat, but you'll end up looking damn good. With strength training, you'll be that sexy head-turner :)

In a nutshell, strength training for women is still somewhat of a boogie man to a vast majority, yet the fear is based on misconceptions. Get them out of your head and pick up that dumbbell next time! :)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Heh, I don't want too many people getting in on the secret of heavy lifting because then there'd be more competition for the squat rack in the mornings :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Great post! Been doing zumba along with the strength training class i've done since I started working out.

Other day I picked up my weights, looked in the mirror and thought "who the heck is that with my head on her shoulders?". Completely different arms, legs, torso and posture : )
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What constitutes lifting heavy? I am just starting and VERY weak. In our weight lifting boot camp we usually do 6 weight exercises, doing 3 sets of 15 reps. With cardio before, halfway through and at the end for 5 or so minutes. As time goes on we add more weight when it gets too easy.

Or is heavy lifting lots of weight low reps only?
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    AWESOME very inspirational to me!!!
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I'm going to read that article when I have more time but I loved reading about your experience. It's a reminder to me to look Into strength exercises. I'm primarily a runner but you know what's funny? The primary topic of conversation on long runs is how to keep the weight off.

So with that said, what do you guys recommend for a weight routine? A strength DVD? Or just using dumbells and kettle bells type exercises?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting = lifting as heavy as you can. Reps can be anywhere from 5-12, or even 15 for those starting.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The first day I started olympic lifting was in mid/early August. I could barely get the olympic bar up, much less over my head and it only weighs 35lbs. (We do have lighter/training bars available if people are truly unable to use the bar which weighs 15lbs.) I remember thinking, "What am I doing here?! I can't even get this bar over my head! How am I every going add weight to it?"

Three months later, I am now:

dead lifting more than my body weight (165lbs)
    shoulder pressing half my body weight (Super stoked about this!) (75lbs)
    back squatting alllmost my body weight (gotta work on this)

I've learned how to do a split jerk, a clean and jerk, a hang power clean, a snatch, and more. The focus is on multi joint movements rather than isolated movements - this uses multiple muscles in your body and keeps your heart rate up. And I seriously feel like wonder woman when I do it! In our workouts we typically combine this with something in between like box jumps, sprints, jump rope or burpees and switch back and forth.

Future goals include dead lifting 150% of my body weight, being able to backsquat my bodyweight, and upping my shoulder press by about 10 pounds. I also WILL do a handstand push up before I die. First I just gotta even get the handstand. I'm practicing :)

Other weight lifting women: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    What constitutes lifting heavy? I am just starting and VERY weak. In our weight lifting boot camp we usually do 6 weight exercises, doing 3 sets of 15 reps. With cardio before, halfway through and at the end for 5 or so minutes. As time goes on we add more weight when it gets too easy.

Or is heavy lifting lots of weight low reps only?

I too, would love to hear an answer on this. I have read books on it, but I want to hear it from real women who look awesome!
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    bump!