Foods to avoid on thanksgiving?

Options
I can't really think of any Thanksgiving food that would be considered healthy but what foods will you definetly NOT be eating on thanksgiving?

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Rolls, and stuffing... mostly because I don't get as much enjoyment out of eating those things anyway. Why waste the calories on that? I also don't feel that wine is necessary-- at most I'll have half a glass just for the taste. On the other hand, pumpkin pie is incredibly fattening but I'll still be eating it because it's one of my favorites.

If there are snacks set out before dinner I'd avoid those as well. You could easily consume most of your calories just from cheese and crackers alone.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give up anything on Thanksgiving Day...If I want to eat rolls, I'll eat them...if I want to eat pie, I'll eat it...There is NOT one reason why anyone should give up a favorite food on that day because of your diet. (unless you're on a special health diet from your doctor and you have to not eat certain things)
    It's ONE day of the week where you're with family and one day will NOT KILL anyones diet....

Sometimes, there needs to be a grip on reality....Quit beating yourselves up all the time because, "gasp!!" you ate something you don't normally eat on your diet!

Just get back on it the next day.......
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even consider giving up a thing! It's Thanksgiving!:smile:
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Not going to skip any of the things I love. I will try to exercise portion control.
  • awoutlaw
    Options
    Thank you for this site!! Can't give up the sweet potato casserole, though!! I will give up several other things first! :bigsmile:
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    I'll be eating anything that I like...but all in moderation. I'm not going to stuff my face, but I will surely eat up to my calories and might go over a little bit. Like everyone has said, it's just one day. Make up for it the next few days or just eat your favorites in moderation.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give up anything on Thanksgiving Day...If I want to eat rolls, I'll eat them...if I want to eat pie, I'll eat it...There is NOT one reason why anyone should give up a favorite food on that day because of your diet. (unless you're on a special health diet from your doctor and you have to not eat certain things)
    It's ONE day of the week where you're with family and one day will NOT KILL anyones diet....

Sometimes, there needs to be a grip on reality....Quit beating yourselves up all the time because, "gasp!!" you ate something you don't normally eat on your diet!

Some people don't want to blow their diet though, it.is.really important to some people.
    for me, I sm giving up pie, rolls and eggnog. I'm not a big fan of rolls and since my life change, if I eat sweets, it makes me completely sick to my stomach, so that's why I'm giving up pie and nog
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Definitely no reason why anything needs to be given up. You can have anything you want just in moderation. Besides it's just one day, we should all enjoy it and not worry about what we could or could not eat, takes the fun out of enjoying the day! Focus on the people you're with vs the good/bad food out there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of any Thanksgiving food that would be considered healthy...

Really? Because the majority of the foods my family has always served have been healthy. The desserts, maybe not so much. But there's nothing wrong with turkey, carrots, peas, sweet potato, cranberries... :love: My belly's growling just thinking about it!

There is absolutely nothing I will avoid. It's not often the whole family gets together like this, and I'm not going to ruin my good time thinking about calories.
  • maxestes
    maxestes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will be taking the day off for the most part. I won't stop my self from eating any one item or focus on a caloric limit, but there is a strategy to forcing yourself to eat less. Eat meat first. It will induce the food coma faster and you will consume less. Also try not drinking anything with your meal. Food gets pretty hard to scarf down with no lubricant. Also you've been at this dieting thing for a few weeks+, I assume. You generally know how much you need to feel satisfied. Don't be afraid of thanks giving, embrace it. A cheat day is good for you every now and then.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

That's how I feel. It only happens once a year! But I think it makes sense to pick and choose your favorites rather than eat everything in sight just because it's tradition.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I would definately avoid anything moldy. Also, Uncle Ray Rays brownies should be avoided.
  • nabeeo5
    Options
    best advice ever! Lol
  • muitobem
    Options
    I would definately avoid anything moldy. Also, Uncle Ray Rays brownies should be avoided.

Well, I guess I could give up the moldy stuff.... LOL :laugh:
  • muitobem
    Options

That's how I feel. It only happens once a year! But I think it makes sense to pick and choose your favorites rather than eat everything in sight just because it's tradition.

Yes, def eat the favs...I certainly don't mean to just eat everything in sight as I know I won't eat certain things as I just don't like them (cranberry stuff being one...gag!) M
    My thing is people just being SO restrictive when this is a one time a year family thing that is more important than watching what you eat....
    I know I"ll be drinking plenty of wine that day too!

But I also understand that for some, it can lead back to binging for them....it's the "in general" that's gotten so OCD about food...
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I plan on eating the following first:
    Turkey breast with cranberry sauce, not dressing. I am going to try to eat about 6 oz first
    Sweet potato casserole (I will not eat the marshmallow or probably the nuts)
    Mashed potatoes with very little gravy
    If there are green beans not doused in cream of mushroom soup, I will eat them
    And my favorite, corn casserole

I will probably not eat any rolls, no dark meat, I will limit my butter, have a tiny bit of gravy and I am not a pie fan so I won't eat any pie. I also plan on chugging the water beforehand so I am not as hungry. Maybe eating some oatmeal a few hours before. I don't plan on sweating it though, if I go over I'm not going to be upset.
  • lauramacwhite
    Options
    I soooo agree!!!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I will be eating everything I desire with moderation :) And I will stop eating before I'm uncomfortably full.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options

Dang! Nothing Moldy? Alright, i'm in !