MUSHROOMS

Options
HEY MFP!

Need some advice.....
Do you use the canned or fresh muhsrooms? How do you cook or season?
Which is better canned or fresh???

THNX!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Fresh. NO comparison.

slice and sautee in no-stick pan with NO butter or oil for about 5 minutes. Will start "weeping"--giving up juice-- very quickly, and then will steam from there.

I don't season mine at all because I like them straight. But it's common to add a bit of salt and pepper.
  • Slw2688
    Options
    do I need to spray the pan with pam or anything? or they will nt stick??
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I add mushrooms to everything! Fresh, no cans. Unless I'm roasting them I do pretty much the same thing rosebarnalice does but I am a salt and pepper fan.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I love them FRESH!!

I love them roasted in the oven until they're soft or grilled on the BBQ to accompany my steak!!

I love them in pasta's, lasagne, veggie bakes, sauteed on toast, sliced finely in san cho bau - come to think of it - there really isnt anything we dont put mushrooms in haha!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Most anything canned will have more sodium, and a loss of nutritional value.

Also... 'SHROOMS!
  • Slw2688
    Options
    when u put them in the oven what temp and how long??
    Do u wrap them in foil?
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fresh only.

I also add them to everything, but if I must cook them alone, I'll give the pan a light spray with Pam, then sauté them in a spoonful of water (or wine) with fresh onion & a pinch of salt & pepper.

Depending on the colour of wine you use, it alters the flavour, and both compliment mushrooms well.

...Oooh, I forgot all about the barbeque! Skewer them up, brush them with olive oil & toss them on that flame! Yum.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I fry them in a little olive oil salt and cracked black pepper place a lid on them for 3-4 min then add a crushed garlic clove or two 4oz white wine cook out and then 2 tablespoons low fat creme fraiche
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    In the oven I just put them on an oven tray - no need to wrap. They take maybe 15 minutes on medium heat (150-180 celcius). If Im having a roast dinner I'll often put a little gravy on them, but they dont need it - they are yummy just roasted. Sometimes we sprinkle a little seasoning too - depending on our taste needs for that day!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are so simple... Fresh is best and oh so delicious.. You can throw then in a pan with a little EVOO, some garlic powder, pepper and salt. Just saute until they are soft.
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Canned are nice to have on hand for mushroom emergencies. Fresh are wonderful. Keep in a brown paper lunch bag in the fridge for optimal freshness--they last a bit longer
  • Slw2688
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!

ALL OF THESE SOUND GREAT
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    ALWAYS FRESH, with any fruit or vegetable. I add them to my egg whites in the morning scrambled :)
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Fresh:)
    I just spray the griddle with pam cook then eat the deliciousness! I love mushrooms!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One of my family's favorite holiday side dishes. Cook fresh mushrooms in a non-stick skillet with a little water until wilted. Drain and then return to pan with a little EVOO, fresh minced garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until browned.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fresh!! delicious <3
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love them fresh in salads or cooked in just about anything I'm cooking, but I find that the fresh ones get slimy really quickly after purchasing. I can't stand it when they get slimy and this will usually happen within a week of purchasing.

Any thoughts on keeping them fresh? Am I doing something wrong?
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Crzy, mushrooms don't last very long, but are you keeping them in a brown paper bag?
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Fresh!! I tried canned and it came with this funky tasting sauce stuff that was just..blech. Fresh forever! I'll use them in just about any pasta, meat, or veggie dish for true. Sometimes, I munch 'em raw.
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms with garlic, lemon and thyme or parsley... YUM