does anyone get "blue" this time of year??

Options
laurielie
laurielie Posts: 133 Member
It seems the last couple of years I get kinda "blue" this time of year. And, I have a hard time stay'n on track!!
Any advice would be appreciated...........:sad:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A LOT of people do. Try taking a vitamin D supplement. I have pretty extreme depression that gets absolutely horrible this time of year, so I take 4000 IU vitamin D in the winter, but most people notice a difference on a lot less. Eat plenty of protein and drink lots of water to keep your skin hydrated. And exercise! Even just light exercise every day will lift your mood. If these things don't help, talk to your doctor.
  • posesed
    posesed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to but.....I know it's bad but 5-10 minutes a week in a tanning booth gives me the sunlight I need to keep going. This time of year I go to work in the dark and come home on the dark.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I get "blue" year round, its just worst this time of you.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I used to but.....I know it's bad but 5-10 minutes a week in a tanning booth gives me the sunlight I need to keep going. This time of year I go to work in the dark and come home on the dark.

Wat8.jpg
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This time of year is brutal for me. My grandparents both died in Nov/Dec and my mom's birthday is in the middle. (she too is gone) This is my first christmas single, as I am going through a divorce as well.

I am sure with the support of MFP and my friends I'll get through this. You can too. Keep strong.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes, every year. Thinking of buying some tryptophan or 5HTP to get the brain chemistry in gear.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do and its terrible. I wish I had some advice for you.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just take it day by day.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I don't need weather to tell ME when to get depressed!
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Winter is beautiful! I can't wait to get back out on the slopes and just shred the day away.
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always used to get blue. This is the first time in 32 years I will not be depressed (not anticiating to anyway) I used to leave the tv off - away from 'overly cheerful" scenes. I would do things that made me happy - other than eat. Baths, giving to Toys forTots, Treating myself to books rather than the library. It didn't cure the blues but helped me to get to1/2 intact. Good Luck!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Well (between you and me, I don't like to admit it) But I like to get painted from head to toe in blue body paint and stand in as a groupie at the Blue man tours. Since the restraining order I've had to change it to green. Blend in you know incognito.:huh:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It hits me in February. I'm a sunshine girl and I get my powers from the sun. Cloudy, cold weather really does a number on me. I try to get outside at the tiniest hint of sunshine and it really helps. It also probably helps that when I get outside I'm running and I get the added benefit of endorphins too. So, that's what I do, sunshine and endorphins.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I try to take some extra vitamin D......might be the placebo effect - but I feel better.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the vitamin D. If you live in a more northern area, even if you go outside during the winter you may not be able to get much vitamin D from sunlight. You might want to have your levels checked by the doctor too. Can't hurt.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Between the oncoming winter and the holiday season,which was uncomfortable while growing up,this time of the year sucks.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The winter blues hit me hardest after the holidays, from January to March. I don't really have any advice except to stay active because, before you know it, Spring will be here.
  • hayliemarie427
    hayliemarie427 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to really badly. When I was younger I got suicidal this time of year. Eventually it just went to me not feeling as great and some days just like total crap. But I've noticed over the years that if I pay closer attention to my diet, I work out regularly, and I keep myself busy, that I'm in a lot better spirits.
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, which in turns = stress! I hardly slept last week. By Thursday, I was in tears at work. I was afraid they were all going to think I was insane, but it turns out that I'm not the only one who gets stressed out and sad around the holidays. It'll get better... just keep moving.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I sure do. And the end of daylight saving time makes it much worse. Oh, how I wish Indiana had never started DST! I hit my lowest low point around February though. I take vit D and St. John's wort. Both help a wee bit, but full spectrum lights and staying active help me the most.