Mashed Cauliflower?

Options
I was just wondering, has anyone tried this? I heard that it tastes like mashed potatoes.

Anyone know?

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday's version is really good
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I may have done it wrong, but it tasted nothing like mashed potatoes. :laugh:
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I love it - but it does not taste like mashed potatoes. Epicurious.com has recipes.
  • katey82
    katey82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have made it, I liked it, just have to use seasoning. I really liked it and my husband had no idea it wasnt mashed potatoes :)
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Doesn't taste like mashed potatoes.....but it is really good !!!

I mix in some Parmesan cheese and my boys gobble it up!
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    When i did Atkins i practically LIVED on mashed cauliflour!! I thought that if you imagined hard enough it tasted like slightly watery mashed potato! (i love cauli though!)
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    It's yummy but no...not really. It's good though and worth trying!
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use it to make shepherd's pie instead of potatoes. Works perfectly! A co-worked didn't believe and is now sold on it. Even President's Choice makes a Blue Menu shepherd's pie with cauliflower now!
  • Nbean24
    Options
    Try sprinkling in a little romano cheese for flavor - its delicious!
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how to make it. I tried it once, the way you would make mashed potatoes but with cauliflower, and it was a fail. Would not mash, even in a blender. Tricks?
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I dont know if i did it wrong or not but i tryed to make it and it was so gross the texture was aweful and i like cauliflower!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I think it is super tasty, filling, a great way to get veggies in while having a comfort-food-looking white lump on your plate but I don't think it tastes like mashed potatoes.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Depends how you do it. Mine tastes a lot like mashed potatoes if I steam it, put it through a potato ricer (or just chop it up in a food processor) and add a little butter, pepper, & a smidge of garlic.

Cheesy version that is awesome: 1 head cauliflower, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/4 tsp garlic, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, 1/3 cup ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup gorgonzola.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah, I didn't imagine it tasting anything like Potatoes, but I LOVE the warm, creamy texture of them, and wanted to have a substitute... I mean, if I can cut out calories by using cauliflower, then add a sprinkle of cheese and some chives and not feel as guilty, that would ROCK!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes and I like it. I think it depends on the preparer as to whether it tastes like mashed potatoes or not. I first tried these at Rafferty's restaurant and couldn't tell the difference.

I've tried a couple different recipes from a recipe site online and they were all good, some better than others. But I think it is worth your time to try it. A great way to get children to eat cauliflower too!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how to make it. I tried it once, the way you would make mashed potatoes but with cauliflower, and it was a fail. Would not mash, even in a blender. Tricks?
    Gotta steam the heck out of it first, get it *really* tender. Boiling works, but steaming is better, and like I said, make sure you get it completely done before you try mashing.
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So good! That's all we eat in our house, no more potatoes here!

I boil my cauliflower in a little bit of water with a boullion cube and a touch of salt in the water. It gives it SOOO much flavour. I mash it with a touch of becel. My husband and kids fight over who gets the last spoonful :)
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I loved it...especially since i am a mashed potato freak....i made it with a mixer after boiling it tender then drained...and then i prepared it like my mashed potatoes...i used fat-free sourcream, garlic powder, poured some parkay butter spray in...and a little skim milk...salt & pepper to taste....its as close as u can get to the real thing...Just got to try it.... theres a mock cauliflower potato salad too thats real good!!
  • shirleyanne2012
    shirleyanne2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if you have to cook it so much that its soft enough to mash you are going to loose a lot of the nutrients. Then if you add cheese you are just adding carbohydates, so what's the point. I think I'll eat my cauli al dente.
  • Delcarlo24
    Options
    I've made it a bunch of times. It is really good. Add I can't believe it's not butter spray, garlic salt and a little chili powder :)