having a hard time with the junk food adn emo-eating

Options
I was on a good path for about three straight months with the exercise and eating great, and had lost ten pounds. i recently quit a job that caused a lot of stress - which caused me to fall back into junk food eating - soda, cupcakes, chips, fast food. I gained back all ten pounds i had lost and stopped working out. i called my trainer this past week and scheduled back with her. i can't put down the junk! i have tried healthy substitutes, but can't stick with them. any tips, suggestions?

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    log your food, its harder to eat it when you can see how bad it is.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Emo eating?

med_gallery_210_10_68855.jpg

:wink:
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That picture is too funny ! Good one.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    log your food, its harder to eat it when you can see how bad it is.
    OH MY GOSH! YESSSS!
    I have become a devout member to the church of counting calories. I have splurges, I have bad days, but I now NEVER eat something without knowing EXACTLY how bad it is for me!
    Also, have a splurge day! Now, I am not telling you that you should have a day where you eat a ton, but having a little wiggle room has proven that it cuts cravings through the week!
  • cycle_queen
    cycle_queen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you really realize how bad most of these foods are for you, you honestly wouldn't even consider them! It isn't our faults that we crave chocolate, cheese, salt, and sugars. They are addicting! Do your best to steer clear!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I log and I have someone who looks at it and helps me see things in it that I might not see. Knowing that someone is going to be looking at it keeps me from eating sometimes because I don't want someone else to see HOW MUCH junk I've eaten. (And, yes, I DO try to be honest with the diary.)

Also, I"ve gotten all the junk food out of the house. That may not be feasible for people who have other families members who still want to eat it.

I eat when I'm bored.......and just out of habit when I'm watching tv.......so I try to have something I can be doing with my hands so I don't get bored or to be doign while I watch tv so I don't reach for it out of habit. It doesn't always work but sometimes it does.

And, when others are eating something "junky" I try to make sure I have brought or have on hand something that I like that I don't feel so bad about eating...fruit or rice cakes or something tasty.....

Stress makes me eat, too, and this was a stressful weekend with a sick family member and I ate whatever I could find.

So, when you do, just pick yourself up and start over the next day or the next hour or the next meal or whatever comes next...

Good luck....you can do this!!!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Put those junk eating days in the past. Each day is a new one. Today (or tomorrow, at this time of night) you can eat one less snack food. The next day half a cup less. Also, get the junk food out of your house, stay away from the candy and junk food areas in the store. Do not carry change in your purse, so that you cannot buy from the snack machine. Do not walk past that bakery--this will also increase the amount of time you walk! ;) You can also be good 6 days a week and consider one particular day your sweets or salty day. Be aware that the salt in salty snacks causes you to hold onto water, and therefore weigh more than you really do.
    We all have done this to ourselves and we each overcome the problem (at least for a little while.) Take it one day at a time.
    Hugs, BJB :drinker: (lots of water)
  • KickinBooty
    Options
    ugh! I know what you mean about emotional eating andjunk food. I can't tell you ow much I want to eat some days. I'm just now heading out again on my journey of fitness and health, but I would encourage you to start looking for other ways to deal with your emotions. One of my fitness boot camp instructors told me I had to start taking care of myself and that I need to deal with my stress by going for a walk or some other activity instead of eating a bunch of food that won't help me get to where I want to be. My first instinct is to take care of everyone else and let myself suffer. I need to change this and I know it's not going to be easy, but I have to take these steps for myself.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You need to put some work into finding food that is better for you that you love. It's out there. You just gotta open your mind a bit to trying some new stuff and do it. If you enjoy what you eat, you will find it much easier to stick to it. Weight loss should not be an unpleasant experience but a great one of rediscovering yourself and what you love in life.

If you need help with ideas, please feel free to message me. I love to cook, and I can help you find some great new recipes.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I was on a good path for about three straight months with the exercise and eating great, and had lost ten pounds. i recently quit a job that caused a lot of stress - which caused me to fall back into junk food eating - soda, cupcakes, chips, fast food. I gained back all ten pounds i had lost and stopped working out. i called my trainer this past week and scheduled back with her. i can't put down the junk! i have tried healthy substitutes, but can't stick with them. any tips, suggestions?

It's normal!

Here is a fantastic link that is helping me get through what I am calling my 3 Month Slump - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

Here's the deal though. We need to buckle down at this point and keep going. Easier said than done, I know. My slump has been going on for 2 weeks now and thank God I've only gained back my normal fluctuation. I just completed a diary entry for the second time in weeks and hopefully I've given myself enough of a break to be able to recommit to this.

If you aren't ready to buckle down, try to eat at your maintenance calories for a while until you feel ready to get back in the game. It's ok to take a break.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Emo eating?

med_gallery_210_10_68855.jpg

:wink:

Like!

I love food so its always emotional!

Quick question...on a perfect day what are your calorie goals and macros?