What do YOU do to combat the binge

Options
2»

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Something that I saw on an old MFP post has also been helpful. When you're about to stuff xyz into your mouth, stop and think "I CAN eat xyz right now, but I'm choosing not to because _____." I have that quote on my fridge and it empowers me to make a better choice (sometimes).
  • RuninGirlCas
    RuninGirlCas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can understand the binge eating problem. For me its completely emotional. Usually if I'm that upset there's no stopping me from starting. So for me its about acknowledging what I'm doing while I'm doing it.

I look that chip in the face and saying you may taste delish you will not make me feel better.

But try no to beat yourself up too much. Because we all have relapses and it takes a long time to really change a habit.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, ***looks in her bag of tricks***

Sweet:
    Nabsico 100 calorie Mr. Salty Pretzels are awesome.
    Breyers Fat Free Chocolate Ice Cream 90 calories per serving (some FF frozen yogurts are too)
    Hanniford lemon sorbet, 80 calories 1/2 cup (trust me, its all you need)
    Fudgicles are 40 calories per serving
    Fat free pudding 60 calories per serving
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches 140 calories per.
    Watermelon under 50 calories for 1 cup chopped. 2.5 cups is a large bowl mounded over for 125 calories.
    Kiwi, around 50 calories per.
    Red grapes are 100 calories per cup
    Strawberries are really low in calories 1 cup (halved) is only 49 calories
    Chocolate Cheerios are about 122 calories per 1 cup and tastes kind of like cocoa puffs
    *Ciao Bella Blood Orange sorbet is 60 calories per serving and is very flavorful. It tips the money scale at almost $5.00 a quart but it is sooo worth it.
    The Chips Ahoy Chocolate drizzle chocolate cookies 100 calorie packs is a great snack that is super chocolaty.
    Minute Maid Juice Bars=awesome 60 calories a piece
    Dannon fit and light yogurt 80 calories
    Edys frozen fruit bars 60-100ish calories
    Delmonte light fruit cocktail 60 calories per 1/2 cup
    Banana 80-120 calories
    Quaker 90 calories snacky thingys the chocolate and the caramel are great!
    Keebler 100 calorie cookies and cream snacky thingys
    Lindt 50% Dark Chocolate 50 calories per square
    Believe it or not... Hershey's Chocolate Bar, half a bar is only 105 calories
    M+M's are only 3.4 Calories per piece
    Orange Dream Bar 70 calories
    Nestle hot cocoa (25 calories SF kind, 80 calories regular)
    lifesavers SF candy 7.5 calories a piece
    Lemonheads 5 calories a piece
    Brothers all freeze dried pineapple, 60 calories a package

Savory/Salty
    Reduced Fat Ritz Cracker 70 calories per 5 crackers with Laughing Cow garlic and herb swiss cheese 35 calories per wedge
    Rold Gold Pretzel sticks 100 calories for 48 sticks
    Popcorn. Smartpop has 100 calories bags or even some butter popcorn is 25 calories per cup.
    Salsa and chips are a great option for snacking. 140 calories per 7 large chips and only around 15 calories per 2 tablespoons on salsa.
    Borden String Cheese is 70 calories
    *I have been addicted to fried green peas (not wasabi) They are not that low in calories. it is about 130 per 1/2 cup. The good thing about it is that they are very crunchy and it takes you a long time to eat so it is a great diet food. If you like sunflower seeds you will probably like peas. I get them at the Natural living center for only like $2.00 a pound. It is very cheap. Makes sure you get scoops with enough salt.
    1/2 cup carrots 35 calories
    1 cucumber sliced in vinegar, salt and pepper 45 calories
    Mini babybell light cheese 50 calories
    Pringles Light 70 calories per 14 chips.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Sweet:
    Breyers Fat Free Chocolate Ice Cream 90 calories per serving (some FF frozen yogurts are too)
    Watermelon under 50 calories for 1 cup chopped. 2.5 cups is a large bowl mounded over for 125 calories.
    Chocolate Cheerios are about 122 calories per 1 cup and tastes kind of like cocoa puffs
    *Ciao Bella Blood Orange sorbet is 60 calories per serving and is very flavorful. It tips the money scale at almost $5.00 a quart but it is sooo worth it.
    The Chips Ahoy Chocolate drizzle chocolate cookies 100 calorie packs is a great snack that is super chocolaty.
    Banana 80-120 calories

Savory/Salty
    Reduced Fat Ritz Cracker 70 calories per 5 crackers with Laughing Cow garlic and herb swiss cheese 35 calories per wedge
    Popcorn. Smartpop has 100 calories bags or even some butter popcorn is 25 calories per cup.
    Salsa and chips are a great option for snacking. 140 calories per 7 large chips and only around 15 calories per 2 tablespoons on salsa.
    *I have been addicted to fried green peas (not wasabi) They are not that low in calories. it is about 130 per 1/2 cup. The good thing about it is that they are very crunchy and it takes you a long time to eat so it is a great diet food. If you like sunflower seeds you will probably like peas. I get them at the Natural living center for only like $2.00 a pound. It is very cheap. Makes sure you get scoops with enough salt.

Whoa thans Trischa, not sure i can get all those in good of UK but given me pause for thought... will go hunting for some substitutes! x
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I pray to God for strength (if you are not a religious person, find someone to be accountable to and talk to that person or that object); I drink water; I eat plant-based/non processed foods, preferably veggies and starchy foods; I go for a walk and meditate.
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey im in the uk, and im a complete chocolate fiend. If im happy, sad, stressed, doing something i enjoy, just ate dinner whatever i could find an excuse! My trick now im taking my dieting seriously... Options hot chocolate. I buy them indavidual and there is plenty to chose from in the supermarkets, You'l have to check coz they all have different calories but its typically between 40-100. Its working for me because i want the taste, although not eating to start with was odd.
    I also agree with the people above dont buy the bad options so you cannot grab it when the binge is coming on, i always make sure iv go plenty of fruit in, i also if i feel it coming on early in the day plan a really yummy dinner, something to look forward too but always within my allowence lol.
    Grabbing a glass of water and/or working out always helps me too :happy:
    Good luck!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I definitely some of these kind of problems are personality linked and very hard to change. You can change how you deal with the binge after you have it. Normal reaction is depression and lack of motivation to keep trying.
    instead next time you binge you could compensate by eating under calorie goal the next day and doing a good 60 mins cardio to burn it off. That way no harm done.
    Thats how I personally combat breaking my diet. And once y ou have the rule you have to do an hour cardio each time you break out, it kind of puts you off breaking out in the first place sometimes as you know you will have to make a big effort the next day to combat it. This is just what I do anyway.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Sweet:
    Banana 80-120 calories

Savory/Salty

Thanks! Great list. :)
  • LewisFishman
    Options
    I find that recording everything helps, because if you think about a binge, you know it's often left to "chance" when you'll stop. It escapes your conscious awareness. I have found that if you put the "forbidden food" in front of your awareness, you might enjoy it better, knowing it was a decision and not "the devil making you do it". Besides, how many of us go off, then fail to get back on? Record all of this, and it'll be easier to get back on. And the ride will be smoother next time, too!