Going to try these. Thanks!
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Bump!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    "... mix in the egg and egg white "

Your ingredients list just egg whites. But, in the directions it says "...mix in the egg and egg white." Is it ok to use only egg whtes?

Sorry, just now seeing this. I modified the recipe using only egg whites and low fat cheese. The original recipe uses full fat cheese, one egg and one egg white. The calorie count is my modified recipe. X
  • yessica101
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!! i <3 mac n cheese:happy:
  • tash314
    tash314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I recently found this recipe too but instead of butter, you can use 1 Tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil. I made them last night. Very yummy!
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will sooooo be making this!
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good grief it sounds so simplistically delicious!
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Like the idea of portion control. There is a recipe on here to do it with meatloaf in the muffin tins, but I never thought about doing it with pasta.

I guess you can make anything in a muffin tin! I make meatloaf in muffin tins now as a rule. They are not only great for portion control, but if you have some left over you can freeze them for another (quick) meal.

I always make meatloaf in a muffin tin....cooks faster and great for portion control and freezing leftovers. I'm thinking these mac&cheese muffins would be a great side dish to that! We always had mac & cheese on the side of meatloaf as a kid.

Added bonus: my boyfriend will find that I do have uses for my multiple muffin tins and there is no reason to complain. :-)
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm sounds yummy...i need to try this!
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    bump
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks :)
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just found this recipe on pinterest and I thought I would share it. Like this blogger I have trouble with my pasta portions so this is an awesome solution. I worked out the nutritional info and when using low fat cheese and 2 egg whites the values are as follows: Cals 144, Carbs 16, Fat 3, Sugar 0, Protein 9. Happy eating!

http://www.emilybites.com/2011/04/mac-cheese-muffins.html

Ingredients:
    4 c cooked macaroni
    1 T butter
    1 T flour
    1 c skim milk
    1 garlic clove, minced
    6 oz low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 egg whites
    1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and patted dry (or you could use 1 cup cooked fresh spinach)
    Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
    2. In a small sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, mixing it into the butter until thick. Stir in the milk and garlic and raise the temp to bring the mixture to just under a boil. Add the cheese and whisk mixture together until thoroughly combined into a cheese sauce.
    3. Remove the cheese sauce from heat and then mix in the egg and egg white (binding agents) until combined.
    4. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, salt and pepper and mix together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cups of your prepared muffin tin.
    5. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops slightly brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.

Yummmmm.