confused

Options
i was given a diet book at the weekend which is along the lines of the atkins diet,

for years i have looked at food lables at the cals and fat, now i find i am looking at the carbs/sugars and dont know what the heck i should be eating..

Has anyone followd the akins diet and did it work for you,

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to go back to the setup and choose custom and choose 40% carbs 30%fat and 30% protein......... that should help, it is hard to see what you are currently set at as your diary isnt open to the public
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    eat heath clean food , drink water and stay with in your calories you will be fine its about balance, move more

good luck on your journey
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My brother was very successful at losing weight with Atkins. He was also very successful at putting all the weight back on when he started eating carbs again.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Eat the way you plan to eat for the rest of your life. If it's not sustainable for years and years then it will fail in the long run. And check with your doctor.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    sent u a private message, thanks for opening diary
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My brother was very successful at losing weight with Atkins. He was also very successful at putting all the weight back on when he started eating carbs again.

^^^ This. My husband did the same thing.
    That said...everyone is different and you may find that program to be a lifesaver.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, Atkin's is effective only if you plan to eat that way for the rest of your life. If you ever started eating carbs again, the weight would pile back on. Because of that, I never recommend Atkin's.
    After peeking at your food diary, it looks like you're on the right track! Hang in there. :)
  • nimue139
    nimue139 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my husband was on the Atkins diet for 2 years and lost a ton of weight, but as soon as he got off it and started to eat normal carbs again, he gained it all back. So my guess is that it does not work in the long run and not worth the effort it takes.
    Besl principal - more calorie output than input - it is so logical, it has to work. :smile:
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't do Atkins, but was following the "17 day diet". I think fairly similar than Atkins BUT it's not a diet, it's a life style change. It has taught me to eat less carbs and cook veggies, but I will never go back to eating what I ate before. I, like many others, had some sort of carbs addiction... so cutting them down at first was super difficult. After 5-6 weeks though I wasn't missing them anymore and now seldom have them.
    So far I have lost over 40 pounds, but I must say exercise has helped a lot too. I am currently cruising, about 1 to 1.5lb a week, exercise at least 3 times a week and although slow, I am losing consistently....

All that said, everyone is different. The first thing is to figure out what your body is sensitive to. For me carbs is a huge problem, it slows down my metabolism and I gain weight just by looking at bread (yes I said looking, LOL). For others, fat is an issue and they can eat whatever carbs they want.

Add me if you need support. Good luck!

8758221.png
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I did a modified approach to Atkins back in 2000. Lost 50-60 lbs and kept it off for several years. After the weight loss I wasn't as strick with the low carb and it didn't make me gain weight. Then I ended up with Thyroid problems and really gave up on my weight. I gained 60 lbs in a year. It was not the fact that I gave up on Atkins... it was the fact that I gave up on healthy eating and myself.

When I started my weight loss journey this summer (July 8th) I was 256. I am now 198. The first 20 pounds I did with just counting calories and eating a lot of salads but still including carbs - like my morning cereal. I then hit a month long plateau and knew I had to change things up again. So I went low carb again.

And again, I don't follow the Atkins strickly, just watch my carbs while counting calories as well. I have a lot more protien now and find it keeps me feeling full for longer. I am very happy with eating low carb and feel great.

When I get to goal I will eat more carbs again. I know that as long as I watch my calories in and calories burned I won't put the weight back on. But I do find that I am a carb lover and once I have a nice piece of garlic bread or something like that I want a lot more of it. So it isn't eating carbs that results in gaining weight... it's the amount of food I end up eating. Cals in vs. cals out.

Low carb works for me. and it does work for others. Will it work for you? You won't know unless you try. Everyone is different.

Good luck in your journey and finding what works for you.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Honestly I dont worry too much about calories, or even carbs and sugars. As long as you dont go crazy it is possible to burn those things off. If I eat a candy bar I know I am going to have to plan on at least an extra 30 minutes of exercise that day. Sometimes it is worth it, lol. The things that dont fluctuate in my diary are my sodium and cholesterol. Once I hit those numbers for the day, thats it. If I go over there is nothing I can do to burn some of it away. So I dont really pay attention to the calories. I very rarely have a day when I am anywhere near my limit...and trust me, I eat. I also thought I was a huge carb person, I mean...I LOVE bread. But I dont think I have ever had a day when I have gone over on carbs either. I just keep an eye on it.

Things like Atkins, well like others have pointed out, I dont think it is something you could sustain indefinitely. The key for me has been to pick a meal/exercise plan that I can stick with for a long time, hopefully forever. Little tweaks. Wheat bread when possible, less condiments, smaller portions, low sodium options, etc.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

I see this all the time with Atkins.... I didn't even know people still do Atkins. To me, that was the quintessential "fad diet"

You can never go wrong with reducing calories. You can go wrong with eliminating food groups.

Yo can eat fewer calories for the rest of your life.

Can you eat no carbs for the rest of your life?

This is a lifestyle change. I am all for reducing your carb intake, maybe throwing in an Atkins type meal into the mix a few times a week, or daily, with the prime focus of reducing overall intake, but to convert to a diet is just poor lifestyle planning....
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    thankyou all for your input on this.

As i was first reading the book about the 2 ladys who wrote it, it was like i had wrote the book myself, everything they said about life pre diet was ME. then as i went on to read what they were eating, it just sounded so wrong. and there is no way i could eat the eggs, which is the main part of the diet.