couch to 5k

Options
So is this any good does it help weight loss.
How do i log each week.

Replies

• uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    I counted the minutes I walked and the minutes I ran and log them as "walking (moderate pace)" and "jogging (12 min/mile)".
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    I just finished the program last week. I loved it, but I did it with a partner. I've tried it several times on my own, and failed. Once I had a dedicated partner, I was able to do it. Im running my first 5k race on December 3rd.
    As for weightloss, well, assuming you are eating within your calories, yeah, it does work.

When I logged my runs, each week (some weeks you will have to do it by day) I went in and looked how many calories I burned based on the minutes I walked, then how many minutes I jogged. I added the two numbers together and created a custom exercise available only for me to see. I used that total calories and the total minutes I worked out to create this. Does that make sense?

Good luck! Seriously, its worth the effort if you want to become a runner.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner before, running for a bus was beyond me! But i had the mentallity of "you never see a 'fat runner' But i completed C25K about 6 weeks ago or more, iv lost over 38lbs and now LOVE running! So much so, i do it 4 times aweek and already planning my first harf marathon and Sprint Triathlon!

Yes, you will loose weight! But you will gain so much more in fitness and a new enjoyable pass time :) and you think more about what your eating too, to fuel your body for your next run! So long as your healthy to do it, no knee problems etc. its well worth doing it!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    It works to build up your stamina for running. As a tool for weight loss it's great because it can teach you that you can do it.
    As for how much you burn, invest in a HRM. I find MFP's settings to be all over the place.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I either logged the amount of minutes I ran and minutes I walked, or just used the total time and calories burned from the treadmill (be sure to input your weight for a better estimate).

Your weight loss will depend on your own goals. I lost about 12 pounds in the 9 weeks I did the program.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    PHENOMENAL things to do for fitness, weight loss, self esteem etc. I've just run four 5Ks in the 6th/7th week of the program, which just seemed to get easier and easier the longer I kept at it. If you want some inspiration, you could read my blog from week 1 day 1 forward, as it charts my entire journey. You an find it at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/russelljclarke?month=201110&page=2

Good luck!
  • shollet
    Options
    What is the program and where do i find it, please?
  • ariana_zimcosky
    Options
    You can find the program online. It's a good program. A friend of mine is doing it and likes it a lot.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    A C25K support group has been formed here on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

It's a public group, no invite needed.