"Facon" a BACON Substitute (Really!)

Options
Hi All,

So for most, we've looked forward to Saturday morning breakfasts with our loved ones, you know, the whole deal: eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast... Or maybe sometimes we just crave a BLT - whatever your case, most of us are predispositioned to love the salty and fatty devil that's one of the first things to be cut from our diets when we take a serious look at losing weight and becoming healthier.

Although I've tried 'breaking up' with bacon a long time ago, it always seems to be lurking in the background, making my mouth water for it's crispy goodness. I'm pleased to tell you that I've now found a new love, a substitute for bacon!

A few years back I went on a real health kick and tried to eliminate EVERYTHING that was 'unhealthy'. I quickly found that this didn't work and left me spiraling out of control, and now I find myself 30lbs heavier than my starting weight back then. Not to be defeated again, I've learnt that sometimes we do need the treats - in moderation. Here's what I do to get my bacon fix (no more than 1-2 meals a week) - try this and you should be able to say bye bye to that EVIL bacon forever!

1) go to your local supermarket and buy a package of cooked ham (the square pieces) - reduced sodium is even better!

2) for one serving, take out two pieces, cut them into 4 strips each.

3) fry them in a pan with a little bit of grapeseed oil (olive oil works alright too).

4) once browned and slightly crispy, place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.

5) say hi to your new bacon substitute!

This ham has very little fat and runs at about 60 calories for two square slices (8 pieces of "Facon")!!! Enjoy!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs, and I still enjoy real bacon on a regular basis (at least 3x per week).

You don't have to give it up, just control how much you eat of it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, I'll stick to the real thing.
  • dlongshot7
    Options
    I normally eat turkey bacon... taste as close as I can get and its thin crispy strips...YUMMY!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    No, there is no substitute to bacon.

The reduced sodium stuff at Wegmans has 70 cals for 3 slices. That's completely do-able, IMO.
  • kellylara93
    Options
    Guess Im lucky that I hate bacon haha
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    With all due respect... stubborn.gif

Gotta have the real deal.
  • Ericgunner
    Options
    Turkey bacon for me.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love bacon, but I actually prefer turkey bacon. it has all the deliciousness with none of that pork fat flavor. Bleah.

I think facon is really good, too, and would eat that any day of the week. I must be lucky that I don't have that meat craving.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've faked a few things in my life ... but bacon??? Nope, I want the real thing. Not worth faking.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    try Canadian bacon
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bacon medallions. No extra fat. All that lovely baconyness...
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I guess I've had some really sh*tty bacon before then 'cause this tastes pretty close to the stuff I've had before... Disregard then, just trying to help!

And turkey bacon is good, but at over $6 a pack, my recipe saves me money too (struggling student!)
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I love me some turkey bacon!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of real bacon. Hormel makes an uncured bacon with no nitrites. All natural. I don't worry about sodium because my body started processing sodium better when I gave up grains and sugars (also doesn't retain water anymore).

Eggs and bacon most mornings! I love Primal!!
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Only the real deal for me..oscar mayer center cut BACON!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    it reminded me of the 'friends' episode with mocklate--the totally synthetic chocolate substitute.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You can take my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I guess I've had some really sh*tty bacon before then 'cause this tastes pretty close to the stuff I've had before... Disregard then, just trying to help!

And turkey bacon is good, but at over $6 a pack, my recipe saves me money too (struggling student!)

The cost of all bacon is absolutely disgusting!
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 20 years so I don't really remember what bacon tastes like
    however I discovered a product called "Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh" and I absolutely love it!
    for 7 slices only 130 calories and 1 g of fat!